Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find the right upgrade for my system

Hello G.Skill Forum!

Here's my current system specs, I want to upgrade from 8 GB Ram to 16.

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
    Windows 7 x64
    AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGIBOX
    OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V
    2x GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    2X G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

I've researched the forum and newegg.com and I need help to understand the differences between these kits and which one would work best with my pc. Or, if there's another kit that will work better.

F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH
    F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL
    F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL
    F3-1600C9Q-16GAB

Thanks in advance for your help

I think I'd suggest the 1333/CL9 set as I'm not sure the 925 could handle 16GB at CL7, or go with one of the 1600 sets, and have it in mind might have to drop to 1333, with 16GB 4x4GB the AMDs have a weak MC so actually capabilities vary, a strong 925 might carry at 1600/16GB but think it more likely at 1333...the OC skill of the user can also play in as it may take some tweaking, 1333/CL9 would be the most straight forward to set up

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I think I'd suggest the 1333/CL9 set
      Thanks Tradesman for a fast reply.
      I understand that you think the best for my system would be this:

F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL

Since you mentioned
      have it in mind might have to drop to 1333, with 16GB 4x4GB the AMDs have a weak MC so actually capabilities vary
      , would any of these sets 2x8GB would make a difference since using one of them will have just 2 of the 4 slots populated? The price difference is negligible

F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL
      F3-1333C9D-16GAO

Thanks,

Daniel

Comment

Believe either of those would work fine, I'd be leery of 2x8GB though in 1600 or higher

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hello Tradesman, thanks for your previous input.

Today, New Egg has all these sets on sale, so I'm buying two sets of F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL. (2X4)

However, they also have this set F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL (2x8) in stock for almost the same price, which one would be better for my system described below?

Thanks for your advice.

My system:

GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
          Windows 7 x64
          AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGIBOX
          OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V
          2x GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
          2X G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Comment

F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL is 4 x 4GB

F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL is 2 x 8GB

You can only use 4 x 4GB since that motherboard will not support 8GB modules.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for a lightning fast reply!

The question remains: with both sets I will get 16GB total. Which one is better, taking into account that the processor is and AMD with known MC issues?

Daniel

Comment

The true quad set, F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL, any time you mix sets it can be problematic, even two sets of the same model, with the single quad set, you are assured of 4 sticks that are tested to work together

Tman

Comment

Thanks a lot Tradesman, your support is greatly appreciated.

Per your advice, I ordered the F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL kit, I hadn't noticed before the difference between having two dual channel kits vs. 1 quad channel kit.

I will post details when I install it, probably next week and probably seek advice about timings and voltage, though I'm not an overclocker.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Comment

Hpefully they will be close to plug and play, with AMD and 4 sticks might need a slight raise of CPU/NB and or DRAM voltage, but otherwise should be good to go...let us know, we'll be here if any problems

Tman

Comment

Hello, I'm back with some report: after having used the F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL kit for about 5 days, everything is good so far, the installation went just plug n'play, seated the sticks on the mobo and that was it, the machine is notably faster going up from 8GB to 16.

The only odd thing is the burnt smell I notice everytime I come in my office from outside. It's a home office, so everytime I take a break I come and notice the smell. May it come from the heat spreaders on the sticks?

Comment

Shouldn't, No.....Let us know if you find anything...

Tman

Comment

I opened the box today, tidied up all the cables, nothing seemed burnt at first sight. So I'll wait.

Thanks for your assistance and support. I look forward to continue to buy GSKILL products.

Daniel

Comment

We'll be here, can always fire up the system while it's open just to check if you smell anything, would think if there was anything it would be from the PSU or maybe a cable resting on a hot spot

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X