Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL problems

Hello,

I am having intermittent problems with this ram on my Crosshair V (bios 1102). Sometimes I cannot get my computer to boot. I see a red ram led on the motherboard board light up letting me know that it is a ram problem.

I had noticed when I first installed the 16GB kit and opened CPUID and AIDA64 that it contained two dimms that were labeled F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL and two that were labeled F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL.

I set the kit to 1600MHZ 11-11-11 30 1.6v to see if the errors would stop. Sometimes problems showed up after the bios change and sometimes not.

I decided to remove 2 of the dimms and reboot to see if I could nail down if it was a single dimm or the set or whatever. Both dimms were seated in the red slots.

I found the problem dimm (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL) and restarted with memtest to test it. Errors appeared after 20 minutes.

I ran the test again and no errors after 3hrs of testing per dimm - strange.

Well I decided to put them all back and see if I could run with stablility after booting into windows7 x64.

No overclock - just whatever changes needed to run them at 1600MHz. No freezes at this time,… but a sometimes unresponsive or sluggish desktop.

I decided to clear the bios even though I hadn't done any overclocking and see if it would help.

When I restarted with all dimms, the computer rebooted with setting the cpu at 3.2GHz and the ram at 1333MHz 9-9-9 24 1t 1.5v.

After the restart the computer seems to run better. No freezing, no aborted starts, no hesitations or slow responses.

I borrowed a 2-dimm 1333MHz 8GB kit of RIPJAWS that I used to verify that the motherboard is in good order. That board is fine, it even overclocked that ram well.

I realize its hard to reach high speeds on ram with the AMD PHENOM II cpu and especially with 4 dimms. I purchased this ram to be ready for the AMD FX-8170.

I didn't think it would be this hard to get it to run on the FX-cpu above 1333MHz.

Okay so after all that, my questions are:
    (1) Do some ram kits need burn-in time before they settle?
    (2) Is it normal to have a 4-dimm kit with 2 paired ram of different speeds?

Any suggestions or do I need to get the kit replaced?
    Last edited by hemrie; 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM.
    Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
    ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
    2 x CORSAIR h80i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
    2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
    4x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 2133MHz (currently @1600MHz)
    SAPPHIRE TOXIC Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB
    SeaSonic X-1250 1250W ATX12V / EPS12V
    1 x WD740GD Raptor HD
    Windows 7 Professional 6 4-bit

I think with the 1090 best bet is 1600, though you might try 1866 at maybe 10-10-10-30 2N, 1600 would prob go 9-9-9-28 2N, will need an increase in CPU/NB and prob DRAM voltage with either for the 4 sticks, but might not need to increase DRAM V at 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll try your suggestions. So that means when I get the FX-8170, I should be able to get 1866MHz speeds correct?

What about the DIMMS that are not rated 2133MHz but are in the same kit?
      Shouldn't all DIMMS in the same kit have the same model number?

If you look at the model numbers, in the attached images, there are 2 that are not the spec they are sold to be. Please explain.

The model module number on them as shown by RAMMon states that all 4 are PC3-12800. The model part #s are different.
      The ROG CPU-Z pics verfiy RAMMon's IDs.

Thanks for all your help in helping me understand these things.

http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/..._Build1002.jpg
      http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...PU-Z_SLOT1.jpg
      http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...PU-Z_SLOT2.jpg
      http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...PU-Z_SLOT3.jpg
      http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/...PU-Z_SLOT4.jpg
      Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
      ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
      2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
      1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

On the model # discrepancy, you'll have to talk direct with GSkill, when first mentioned I thought possibly a program mis-read the sticks or something, but with the shots from RAMMon and CPU-Z it looks like these are separate sets, the 2133 sticks are identified as a Ripjaws X Low set while the ones showing as 1600 are the Regular Ripjaws Low set, and the two are totally different and different looking, including heatsinks. Where did you buy these? If all four have the same heatsinks am wondering if someone may have substituted the heatsinks and returned a pair of 1600 as the other two of a set of 2133 sticks (i.e. had the 1600s bought a quad 2133 set, swapped sticks and returned 4 sticks while keeping 2 2133s. Don't the the X models and the regular Ripjaws are made in the same facility, so don't see how they could get mixed at production and packaged together.

May want to drop GSkill Tech a message about this.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I got these from Newegg.
          Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
          ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
          2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
          1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

Might contact them and tell how the sticks are mixed up and get a good set

Tman

Comment

I bought these months ago and hadn't had time to install them until a few weeks ago. I doubt that they would take them back but I will ask.

I hope that GSkill will help.
              Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
              ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
              2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
              1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

Well, check with them, but as I mentioned earlier, it sounds like someone may have bought a set of 4 from the Egg, switched two sticks and the heatsinks and returned them to the Egg, then you purchased them. Can't see it coming from the manufacturing site like that, what with the manufacturing lines in different facilities...and especially since they test each set for compatibility, i.e. that the 4 sticks work together properly....and they wouldn't work together under XMP if different model lines.

Tman

Comment

I understand what you're saying.

Does that mean if Newegg doesn't help I'm out of luck?
                  Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
                  ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
                  2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
                  1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

NewEgg should take care of it, but if you've had them for a few months, they might have concerns, and as I said, which is just my thoughts, since I'm not GSkill, I can't see 1600 sticks getting not only the wrong heatsinks but getting mixed in with 2133 sticks and being tested and passing. Drop GSkill Tech a message and see what he thinks.

Tman

Comment

Just got in touch with Newegg they said to contact G.Skill for replacement.
                      Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
                      ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
                      2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
                      1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

Can PM Gskill Tech or email at ustech@gskillusa.com

Tman

Comment

I did both.

Just waiting to hear back.

Thanks Tradesman.
                          Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
                          ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
                          2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
                          1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

What is the model number and serial numbers on the RAM stickers?

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Here you go.

1. Pic of the back of the packaging with the sticker type showing 2133MHz 11-11-11-30 1.5v: photo_back.jpg
                              2. Pic of 4 DIMMS together: photo_Front2.jpg
                              3. Pic of the back of the 4 DIMMS: photo_DIMM_back.jpg
                              4. Enlargement of sticker on DIMM: photo_DIMM1.jpg
                              5. Enlargement of sticker on DIMM: photo_DIMM2.jpg
                              6. Enlargement of sticker on DIMM: photo_DIMM3a.jpg
                              7. Enlargement of sticker on DIMM: photo_DIMM4.jpg

DIMM 11260240188299 (no.4) and DIMM 11260240188300 (no.7) are F3-12800CL94GBRL
                              Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra
                              ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
                              2 x e5-2687w ES 3.0GHz
                              1 x WD740GD Raptor HD

Comment

Working...
                              X