RAM Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Issues

I have a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-X58-UD5 with a i7-920 processor. I added 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM. My motherboard allows me to run the ram in triple channel in slots 1,2,3,5. Verified triple channel using MemTest86 too. The ram is currently set at stock timings (9-10-11-28-2) @ 1810 MHz. I'm having a couple different problems.

1. When I try to tighten the timings to a moderate 8-9-9-27-1 @1810 MHz, my computer was stable, but the GFLOP (LinX) went from 50 to 48. From my understanding, a higher GFLOP means a faster, more stable computer. What can I do to increase the GFLOP and tighten/lower the timings?

2. When I try to increase the MHz on the ram, my next option (from my settings) is around 2272 MHz. My computer fails to start when I try that. I was to try and get the ram's stated MHz or better.

Below are my current stable settings. What can be changed to make my computer faster, but still stay at a decent temperature. When I stressed the processor out on the current settings, my high temp was 76C. I have a Corsair h70 Cooler... but have been thinking of switching to a Noctua NH-D14 due to different reviews and forums. Your thoughts?

CPU Clock Ratio [21x]
    CPU Frequency: 3.8GHz (181x21)

Advanced CPU Features
    CPU Clock Ratio [21x]
    CPU Frequency: 3.8GHz (181x21)
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled [All]
    CPU Multi-Threading [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Enabled]
    C3/C6/C7 State Support [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology [Enabled]
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology [Enabled]

QPI Link Ratio [x36]
    QPI Link Speed [6.51GHz]

Uncore & QPI Features
    QPI Clock Ratio [x36]
    QPI Link Speed: 6.51GHz
    Uncore Clock Ratio [x20]
    Uncore Frequency 3620MHz
    Isonchronous Frequency [Enabled]

Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) [181]

Advanced Clock Control
    >>>>> Standard Clock Control
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control [Enabled]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) [181]
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) [Auto]
    C.I.A.2 [Disabled]
    >>>>> Advanced Clock Control
    CPU Clock Drive [700mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive [700mV]
    CPU Clock Skew [ 0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew [ 0ps]

Performance Enhance [Turbo]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Profile2]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [10.0]
    Memory Frequency (MHz) [2133] [1810]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]
    Profile DDR Voltage 1.65V
    Profile QPI Voltage 1.05V

Channel A
    CAS Latency Time [9] [A]
    tRCD [10] A]
    tRP [11] [A]
    tRAS [28] [A]
    Command Rate (CMD) [2] [A]

Channel B
    CAS Latency Time [9] [A]
    tRCD [10] A]
    tRP [11] [A]
    tRAS [28] [A]

Channel C
    CAS Latency Time [9] [A]
    tRCD [10] A]
    tRP [11] [A]
    tRAS [28] [A]

Advanced DRAM Features
    Performance Enhance [Turbo]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) [Profile2]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [10.0]
    Memory Frequency (MHz) [2133] [1810]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]
    Profile DDR Voltage [1.65V]
    Profile QPI Voltage [1.05V]
    x Channel Interleaving [6] [Auto]
    x Rank Interleaving [4] [Auto]

Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Vcore 1.23750v [1.27500v]
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.175v [1.295v]
    IOH Core [1.100v] [Auto]
    DRAM Voltage [1.500v] [1.640V]

Advanced Voltage Control
    Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Vcore 1.23750v [1.27500v]
    x Dynamic Vcore (DVID) [+0.00000V]
    QPI/VTT Voltage [1.175v] [1.295v]
    CPU PLL 1.800v [1.600V]

>>> MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v [Auto]
    QPI PLL 1.100v [Auto]
    IOH Core 1.100v [Auto]
    ICH I/O 1.500v [Auto]
    ICH Core 1.100v [Auto]

>>> DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v [1.640V]
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [Auto]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [Auto]

Either way you go in either tightening the timings at current freq or raising the freq, you'll prob need to raise the DRAM voltage and the QPI/VTT

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What will I see more of a boost... tighter timings or increasing the MHz?? I guess I could go for both. What are some timings that you have seen work well with this model memory? I just want something to shoot for... As I stated before, when I tried 8-9-9-27-1, my GFLOP actually went down... so I'm assuming my system didn't like those.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

It's going to come down to a number of factors, your time and patience, cooling in the box, and even down to the individual components CPU, mobo, and your sticks (some of each are 'sweeter' (perform better, than others of the same model. I'd start off going for for higher freq, get it up and running and stock specs 2133, 9-11-10-28, 2T, 1.65, once you get that stable, run a benchmark like MaxxMem or whatever to give you a baseline figure. From there you can try improving on 2133 by dropping the CR to 1T or increasing your OC and/or tightening the timings at 2133. Might initially try tightening the CL to 8 (8-11-10-28) and adding voltage to the DRAM and/or QPI/VTT (memory controller) or try and cut back the other base, like maybe 9-10-9-28. At any improved stable setting, jot down them down so you have fallback. If stable at CL8, can again try and increase the CPU OC which will again provide a bit of DRAM improvement. Then can always drop to 1866 or 2000 and start with tighter timings like 8-9-9-28 or so and experiment from there.

It's all experimentation and depends on a number of factors....you can fine tune your system and get it to where you are happy, and then if you really want to see something, trust me, you could prob go buy the exact same components you currently have say four sets of them and chances are your exact settings might not be stable on any of them, and you might find that none of them can run as good as what you have, on the other side all of them may be capable of running better.....I've done this a few times, building a number of 'identical' rigs for offices/small businesses and they always vary a little (of course you always give the best box to the boss)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman is so right, don't forget running a test to see if the system can stably running with tighter frequency/timing!

Comment

Working...
          X