Ares Vs. Ripjaws X Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares Vs. Ripjaws X Problem?

I ordered a G.skill Ares kit (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz for my computer build and a post on tomshardware was saying that there could be problems with it hurting your CPU because of the voltages and that ripjaws x is better, I haven't seen Ares used in too many builds but I was wondering if there's any truth to this because I already have the Ares and don't want it to affect performance or longevity of my system:

Here's a link to the original post (Jacquith is the one who's saying Ares could potentially be harmful)
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/30...aws-skill-ares
    I was under the impression after looking at the specifications of the Ripjaws X and the Ares that they were identical and the only change might be just a different heatsink on the Ares but probably the same memory. I've got a Ripjaws X kit on the way just in case and I'll send back whichever is going to be problematic.

My build:
    MOBO: ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68
    CPU: i5-2500K
    GPU: EVGA 560Ti
    PSU: Antec CP-850

The higher voltages of VCCIO and VCCSA of 1.25 are those targeted towards 32 and 64GB high freq sets not a set, more or less standard, such as yours, don't know what particular sets you are looking at, but am relatively positive all 4x4GB DRAM sets of 16GB/1600 are sets that run at 1.5 volts or less, and you shouldn't have to raise VCCSA (system agent voltage) at all, and at most would take VCCIO to about 1.06 - 1.1, no where near 1.25, so either should fine with your rig....I've got 16GB of 1866 Snipers running 2133 with a 2500K, VCCSA at stock, DRAM up slightly from 1.5 to 1.53 and VCCIO 1.084......you should require less voltage if keeping the sticks at 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Would this apply to my F3-1600C10Q-32GAO as well?

I've seen others on forums warning away from the ares sets because of this recommended VCCSA of 1.25. But I saw that the same XMP profile doc was given for setting the VCCSA XMP of the ripjawZ as well.

Can I use a lower number for this setting such as 1.08 or 1.1 since my ares kit (32gb) is 1600, and not something targeted for OC speeds?

Comment

The higher voltage ratings are in part targeted to the total quantity of the sticks and the freq, and is in part due to the MC of various CPUs, i.e. the 25,26,2700K models have a good MC but needs more voltage to push big amounts of DRAM than does say the 3570/3770K models i.e on a P67 or Z68 mobo I need 1.2 - 1.25 to run 32GB of 4x8GB 2133/CL9, on my Z77 rig with a 3570K, I can run them at stock VCCSA and VTTCPU 0.925 and 1.1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Could you suggest a starting point for VCCSA and VTTCPU for 32gb (4 stick CAS 10 Ares) with a 3930k on an Asus x79 board?

The g.skill doc tells you to set these manually (at least the VCCSA) when enabling XMP with my mobo.
          Last edited by dbit; 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM.

Comment

For which RAM, yu mention the 32GB kit and the 16GB? 16 will prob run at pretty much stock under XMP, the 32 may want to start VCCSA at 1.2 and MC voltage the same, then if all is stable can try lowering 1 at a time

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X