Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ?

Hello!

I have a Toshiba laptop, model L635-S3050, i5 M460 stock, with the latest BIOS (2.40), running Win 7-64 Home Premium and it originally came with 4GB of DDR3 1066 PC3 10600 (Samsung M471B5773CHS-CH9). Newegg had this Gskill 8GB kit (F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ) on sale last week and I bought it thinking it might work, as it was on their (Newegg's) memory finder recommendations.
    Got the kit today and put it in. No, it wouldn't even boot up. Tried to swap the modules out and that didn't work either. Tried one module at a time and it booted up, recognized as 4GB, and tried the same module in the second slot - worked fine too. Took out the first module and tried the other one. Laptop booted up just fine. Swapped slots and got same result.
    Tried both modules again. This time, it booted up just fine but in BIOS as well as in System Properties, would only see 4GB. Installed CPU-Z v1.60, and it saw both 4GB DIMMS in single channel, running in 532.1 MHz, 7-7-7-20-1T. Ran Memtest86+ v4.20 and in Memory, it says 3894M, so I guess that means it is only testing 1 DIMM, although it does report for SPD, both slots with the correct Gskill part numbers. Should I try CPU-Z and Memtest again with just 1 DIMM at a time in each slot? Or should I just try the other kits instead -- F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ or F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ?

Thanks,
    Frank

Might look in BIOS and see if there's a max RAM setting, or look in MSCONFIG, BOOT, ADVANCED, and see if if MAX MEMORY is checked, that could limit you.

Comment

Nope - just checked and Max Memory was unchecked. Tried checking it and it would only go up to 4096. Specs on this laptop say it can support 8GB total, 4GB in each slot. I will check with Newegg and see if I can swap this out for the 1066 kit.

Comment

Let us know what happens

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X