Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86+ errors with F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL and Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

Hey all -

I built a new PC earlier this month and it has been running great for the most part, with the exception of rare, random app crashes and sometimes BSOD. I've been troubleshooting and have come across errors in Memtest86+ I'm not sure what to make of.

My system:
    CPU: Intel i5-2500k (OC'd to 4.5ghz)
    RAM: G.skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (9-9-9-24-2N)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
    GPU: EVGA GTX560 ti superclocked
    PSU: Corsair enthusiast 750w

My mobo was auto-detecting incorrect timings, so I manually entered them. 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5V.

My testing methodology:
    1. Ran Memtest86+ with Stick A in Slot 1, and Stick B in Slot 2 (recommended by mobo manual). Received errors.
    2. Ran Memtest86+ with only Stick A in Slot 1. No errors.
    3. Ran Memtest86+ with only Stick B in Slot 1. No errors.
    4. Ran Memtest86+ with only Stick A in Slot 2. No errors.
    5. Ran Memtest86+ with only Stick B in Slot 2. No errors.
    6. Ran Memtest86+ with Stick A in Slot 2, and Stick B in Slot 1. Same errors as Step 1.

So I'm only receiving errors when both sticks are in use. Both sticks individually seem to be fine in either slot (I'm not able to test Slots 3 & 4 because my gigantic CPU fan is blocking Slot 4). See the attached picture for the errors - they seem to be consistently in the same Failing Address range.

Does anyone have suggestions I can try at this point? It seems as if the sticks are OK, but perhaps a BIOS configuration is wrong? I don't know.

Thanks in advance

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Do you have the latest BIOS, F12? Can be found here:

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...3856&dl=1#bios

Will want sticks in either the white slots or the blue 1-3 or 2-4 to use dual channel

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm on F11. I will get F12 and provide an update.

Comment

Tman -

I updated to bios f12 and still received two errors in memtest on test 8. Although previously I usually got around 5-6 errors, so I guess it's some improvement

What do you suggest as a next step?

Comment

I also just got a BSOD with a "page fault in non paged area" error when shutting down Wondows. Not sure if that helps pinpoint anything.

Comment

Are you running the RAM manually or under XMP, if manually might try raising the MC voltage .03 or so or the RAM voltage about the same, if under XMP would just try the MC voltage

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
              Are you running the RAM manually or under XMP, if manually might try raising the MC voltage .03 or so or the RAM voltage about the same, if under XMP would just try the MC voltage
              I've tried both manual and XMP, and have tried upping the RAM voltage from 1.5 to 1.56 (smallest increment BIOS would let me jump). I still received errors in all 4 configurations.

What is MC voltage?

Comment

As another data point, I tried reverting my RAM settings to all Auto (default) in the BIOS. It sets them to 11-11-11-28 (instead of recommended 9-9-9-24). I kept my overclocked CPU settings, however.

I was able to do two full passes of Memtest86+ without errors. With the recommended settings I have yet to complete a single pass. Hmm...

Comment

Have you tried XMP?

In memtest86+, it is reporting settings quite off.

11-11-11 default is normal, for rated 9-9-9-, you must enable XMP or manually input them.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Have you tried XMP?

In memtest86+, it is reporting settings quite off.

11-11-11 default is normal, for rated 9-9-9-, you must enable XMP or manually input them.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Hi,

I have tried using both XMP and manually setting the timings to 9-9-9-24-2n. Both methods cause errors in Memtest86+.

However the default bios timings (which are wrong at 11-11-11-28-1) seem to pass memtest without errors. I'm not sure what else to try.

Comment

Feel free to send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                        Feel free to send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH
                        I purchased them from Newegg less than 30 days ago. Is it faster to exchange through them or do RMA?

Comment

Prob quicker through NewEgg, if you contact them via email at times (think they still do it) if you provide a credit card number they'll issue the RMA and go ahead and ship the new sticks to you, they don't actually charge the credit card unless they don't get the old back on time. If you go this route, ship via UPS, FedEx, USPS and as soon as it ships let the RMA dept know that it shipped and provide a tracking number

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                            Prob quicker through NewEgg, if you contact them via email at times (think they still do it) if you provide a credit card number they'll issue the RMA and go ahead and ship the new sticks to you, they don't actually charge the credit card unless they don't get the old back on time. If you go this route, ship via UPS, FedEx, USPS and as soon as it ships let the RMA dept know that it shipped and provide a tracking number
                            Ok I'll call newegg. Thanks guys

Comment

What does it set the DRAM to when you enable XMP and select profile 1

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X