Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't instal more than 8gb ripjawsx on new pc

Hello there,

I put together a new system and for some reason cannot get the system to recognize more than 8gb of ram. in fact the system wont even boot to bios with more than 2 sticks installed.

I have a 4 pack of 4gb ddr 3 pc 2133 . msi p67-gd65 mobo .

I have the bios to default settings with no oc of any kind.

my ram sticks are sequential from serial numbers ending in 5 , 6 , 7, 8 and they match the stickers on the oem packaging.

new install of windows 7 x64

Do you have the latest BIOS? What set of DRAM do you have? What CPU are you running?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i dont have the latest bios yet. i just assembled the system yesterday. my ram is f3-17000cl9q-16gbxld

cpu is i7 2600k

Comment

With the higher freq and quantities of DRAM you'll, definitely want the latest BIOS

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

updated to latest bios. still same issue. will not boot with all 4 sticks installed. it sits in a power on/off cycle when i turn it on. what is the proper firing order for these 4? my mobo says dimm1 2 3 4 . i have almost tried every combination i can think of. cannot get past 8gb installed.

Comment

Might be Windows, can go into MSCONFIG, select Boot tab, select Advanced and ensure Max Mem is unchecked. Also some troubleshooting tips here:

http://i4memory.com/ramdetect

Tman

Comment

thanks for the speedy replies and info but that didnt help much. my issue is when i attempt to install more than 2 sticks the computer gets stuck in a power on/off cycle. im unable to enter bios or anything else. having a hard time finding much info on that particular experience as well.

Comment

Also , i did check msconfig and max mem was unchecked.

Comment

Would doubt it's the same problem, but there were similar problems last year with some of their mobos, that turned out to be a combo of BIOS problems and DIMM sockets that were to tight, you had to very firmly insert the DIMMs , at times they clips would lock in but still people would go to a power cycling on and off routine, I believe it was around Feb/March od 2011, soon after the SATA chipset fix came out with the B3s. Might clean the connectors of the DIMMs blow out the sockets with compressed air and firmly seat all the DIMMs.

Comment

I remember that also, had a 65 and a pair of either the 43 or 45s that were affected by that, definitely worth a try

Tman

Comment

ok thanks im trying that now. does it matter what order these sticks go into the dimm slots? since they are a 4 pack in consecutive order. the order of the sticks i am confused about. my mobo states dimm slots 1, 2, 3, 4 in order.

Comment

Shouldn't make a diff what stick where, might try with say in slots 1-3, then add 1 to slot 2 - if a problem then pull it and try it in slot 4 if good there but say not in 2 might be a bad slot. If it works with three then try the fourth stick

Tman

Comment

after some more testing it appears that dimm 3 and 4 arent working. 1 and 2 work fine. what could cause this? i have seated my mobo currectly, no wires in the way, no noticable damage to the mobo or dimm slots. is there a way to check the dimm slots functionality?

Comment

DIMM 3 & 4 not working or DImm slots 3/4 not working? If it's the actual sticks, then remove 1 & 2 and try 3 and 4 each by them selves and see if either work, would be unusual to have 2 bad sticks. If talking the slots try first with sticks in 1 and 3 only.
                            Last edited by Tradesman; 03-30-2012, 08:16 PM.

Tman

Comment

the slots arent working. the ram is fine as all 4 sticks will work when installed in dimm 1 and 2 slots. as in i was able to mix and match all 4 to work in dimm slots 1 and 2. dimm slots 3 and 4 wont work with any ram comination. even having 1 ram stick in either slot 3 or 4, system goes to a power cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X