Possible Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Problem

I ordered the Asus M5A97, AMD FX 8120 8-Core Processor, and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 106.

My problem is that i have a little bit of lag. Is there something in the BIOS that i can do to tweak it a little bit to make the boot time faster, and stop all the lagging? I don't want to overclock anything.
    NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 8-core Processor @ 4.0Ghz

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

2 x XFX R9270X Radeon Graphics Card (Crossfired)

Without OCing anything the options are limited, could add a touch of voltage to the RAM ( .03) or vCore ( .05) which may help, best would be investing in an SSD for the OS and primary apps to reside on. Otherwise make sure you have the latest BIOS, timings are set correctly, if the DRAM is set with the CR (command rate/command timing at 2T or 2N could try it at 1T or 1N depending on designator (N/T), that will speed up the DRAM a bit

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Without OCing anything the options are limited, could add a touch of voltage to the RAM ( .03) or vCore ( .05) which may help, best would be investing in an SSD for the OS and primary apps to reside on. Otherwise make sure you have the latest BIOS, timings are set correctly, if the DRAM is set with the CR (command rate/command timing at 2T or 2N could try it at 1T or 1N depending on designator (N/T), that will speed up the DRAM a bit
      That's way over my head. . LOL I'll end up screwing somethin up
      NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 8-core Processor @ 4.0Ghz

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

2 x XFX R9270X Radeon Graphics Card (Crossfired)

Comment

Try the easiest first, boot into BIOS and look for a setting called Command Rate, Command Timing, something to that effect, or a setting of 2T, 2N, 1T, or 1N if you find it and it's at 2T or 2N change it to a 1 and try that, if it doesn't help or creates problems, reboot into BIOS and change it back. Let me know what happens and we can explore the other options

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          Which Ram would u recommend for this cpu @ 2x4gb & 2x8gb sizes? Would an 1866 be @ the sweet spot or 2133?
          I think I read a review where the ares 2133 went up to 2400 or 2500, but then again it might've been on an intel chipset

Comment

With 8120 I'd go for 2x4 at 1866 which is about the max for the CPU....will have to say though that in my 'chats' with the AMD corporate folks about these CPUs supposedly being 'native' 1866, (they have since relented and admitted they are native 1333 and 'CAPABLE' of 1866, albeit at 1 stick per channel, they also informed me that when 8GB sticks 'come out' they will handle them fine....what's was interesting was that 8GB sticks had already been on the open market for a while, so apparently they weren't rushing in to test their claims there. You could go a good deal on 2x4GB 2133 CL9, like the Snipers or Ripjaws and try and run them at 1866/CL8...or go 1866/CL8 or 9

If you want to run 16GB, I'd suggest a 1600 4x4GB set maybe CL8 or CL9 (8 would be preferable)

And yes Ares goes up to 2400 as do the Ripjaws X and Z models, but that's basically Intels realm, Some AMD CPU's can hit 2133 on an ongoing basis but performance isn't really what I consider 2133 when I compare it to Intel numbers plus you have to account for the higher voltages which equals heat and can cut down on the lifespan of the DRAM and other components (CPU, Mobo, GPU, PSU etc. Also oft times to run 2133 timings have to be on the loose side so performance would be better at a lower speed with tight timings as far MBs per second BMs
            Last edited by Tradesman; 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM.

Tman

Comment

So either this

Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 1.25V
              Multi-channel Kit:
              Dual Channel Kit
              Recommend Use:
              High Performance or Gaming Memory
              Timing:
              9-9-9-24

OR This is good

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 (PC3 14900) F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR 9 1.5V
              Multi-channel Kit:
              Dual Channel Kit
              Recommend Use:
              High Performance or Gaming Memory
              Timing:
              9-10-9-28

Which one would be the better of the 2?

Comment

Me being me, I'd go with the 1.5 set (actually am running two sets of them in one of my P67s (16GB)), I myself am not thrilled with AMD and how it takes low voltage DRAM, and I know the 1.5 sticks are very versatile, I run mine at 2133

Tman

Comment

Thanks very much, I may end up doing that.

Comment

Let us know what you decide and how it goes

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X