Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.Skill Sniper F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR DDR3-2133mhz‏

Hi Everyone!

I recently purchased a pair of G.Skill Sniper F3-17000CL9D-8GBSR DDR3-2133mhz (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231518), but was unable to get my PC to boot.

I have an Asus P8P67 LE Motherboard (Intel P67 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) with an i7 2600k overclocked to 4.5ghz.

My PC would not boot with the XMP profiles set from 1900+. I've tried to set the timings and voltage manually to 9-11-10-28 and 6.5v, but my PC still wouldn't boot. I would run memtest, and it would set the Memory to around the standard 1600.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by criTalon; 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM.
    CPU-Z Profile

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, install the sticks in the proper slots, go into BIOS, enable XMP, select Profile 1 and should be good to go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

I updated the BIOS and got XMP Profile 1 to work, but Profile 2, which is the advertised speed still won't work, and I'd have to use Memtest to get it to boot.
      My BUS is 103.0 for the OC of my CPU, does that effect the RAM in any way?
      Last edited by criTalon; 03-15-2012, 01:36 PM.
      CPU-Z Profile

Comment

It can the base BCLK/PCI freq is 100 so taking it up also speed up the system and you may need to add more voltage to DRAM and/or VCCIO (MC voltage), might also need a little extra to the VCCSA, SYS Agent voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm getting a strange problem. Now my PC won't boot even with XMP profile 1. Memtest puts me at a little over 1600 (the higher the BLCK, the higher the Ram Speed)
          I played around the the DRAM voltage, but @ 1.65, it won't boot.

Are there other settings I could follow to hopefully get the ram to boot at a higher speed?

I'll play around the settings some more and post any findings here.

Thanks for the help!
          CPU-Z Profile

Comment

With your CPU/mobo combo I'd set the BCLK to 100, the CPU multiplier to 46, then enable XMP, profile 1 should be for 2133 which is the spec for the set (though earlier you mentioned profile 2, it should be under profile 1). The go ahead and boot. If still problems take VCCIO to 1.14, DRAM voltage to 1.55

Tman

Comment

I tried everything, and after 3 days of using different settings, different clock speeds, and even asking a friend who used to build high end computers to help, I used my last resort - testing each stick separately (which meant that I admitted to the fact that I may have a defective stick).
              Apparently it was just that.
              One of the sticks clocked up the 2133 with the XMP profile with no problems, the other one past the test @ 1800ish. But once i tried 2133, my PC wouldn't post unless I use Memtest.
              Both RAM sticks plugged in at the same time wouldn't get my past 1600 unless I adjust my BCK, which would render my whole PC unstable past 106.
              I issued an RMA with NewEgg and I'll keep this updated as things progress. I'm actually happy to find out it was a problem with one of the sticks. At least I got to the bottom of the issue.

I'll update on when the replacement pair arrives.
              CPU-Z Profile

Comment

Glad to hear that it's firured out, keep in touch and let us know when you get the new set

Tman

Comment

I purchased a quad pack of F3-17000CCL9Q-16G For my AMD Phenom System. I have an M4A89GTD Pro/USb3 and a 1090T Black edition. I used XMP settings at first for 2000MHZ DDR. It booted fine at first, then I started getting video artifacts. I tryed other settings such as video card OC, but it ended up being the memory. I backed it down to 1866, and got BSOD while gaming only. Then on down to 1600, worked fine for a day, then same BSOD during BF3.I kept loosening the timings to make it go away, but it didnt, and the computer got slower. I took them out last night, and put my other kit back in. My other kit runs all day @1600 cl8-8-8-24 but only has 8 G. Im a little dissapointed.

Comment

Can try raising CPU/NB voltage about .06 and DRAM voltage about .03 at 1866 and see if that stabilizes things, if not try 1600 @ CL8 initially, if good try dropping to CL7

Tman

Comment

My replacement hasn't arrived yet, but I have a quick question. I saw one of the reviews for this RAM on NewEgg stating:

"if you have a CPU overclock, don't settle for the XMP profile. the lax timings at 2133mhz are actually slower then tighter timings at 1800mhz"

Is this a fact?
                      Last edited by criTalon; 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM.
                      CPU-Z Profile

Comment

That primarily lies in the skill the of the user/builder (and how much time they have to experiment) generally speaking if you take say a set of 16GB 1866/CL9 4x4GB sticks at stock timings you'll get say 25,000 MB/sec of copy speed, at 2133 CL10 you might get 27,000 MB/sec.....with a good rig however and some skill you might be able to tune the sticks at 1866 with a tighter CL like 8 and possibly get the 27,000 or better that you could get at 2133/CL10.....same, same at 2133, if you can get the timings tighter, like get them to CL9 then your speed would also increase........generally though if the sticks are Native 2133 you'll do better overall at 2133 than you can by dropping to 1866 or whatever

Tman

Comment

My replacement pair arrived. Stuck it in and... AWESOME, it works!

Tman, in your previous response, you mentioned that the XMP profile 1 is supposed to be 2133, but for both my previous RAM and the current one, it is on XMP profile 2. XMP profile 1 has the speed around 1800. Not sure why it's like that, but hey, as long as it works on advertised speed and timings, I'm perfectly happy.

Anyone else who is having problems with RAM, don't always assume it is timings that are causing problems. I went through around 3 days of testing timings, voltages and clock speeds when I could have just first tested the ram individually.

Thx for Tman for all the help.
                          CPU-Z Profile

Comment

Glad to hear they work well, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Will do, but probably the next time will be me asking timings for another 8gbs to a total of 16 gbs, haha.

Went from corsair vengeance 1600 8gbs to 16gbs and now to Gskill 8gbs 2133. 16gbs sooner or later, after the GTX 680!!!
                              CPU-Z Profile

Comment

Working...
                              X