Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility of F3-12800CL 10S-8GBXL with intel DZ68BC

Hello everyone,
    I have installed 4 x F3-12800CL 10S-8GBXL, to a 32 GB of RAM in my intel DZ68BC motherboard. The problem is that the motherboard refuses to POST when I change the memory frequency from the default 1333mhz to 1600mhz. Are these lovely RAM sticks doomed to "under perform" at this frequency?
    I also have an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe. Unfortunately, the board had to go for repairs and is not back yet. Actually I bought the RAM after reading that it is compatible with this board. Will the RAM work at its specified frequency automatically when I install it in that mother board?
    So, is there a viable, stable solution to the problem with intel board? I am not an overclocker or a gamer. I want a fast, stable, reliable system which can work with large files in photoshop.
    I am also technically not very sound with computers, but if you tell me something to do, I will do it considering the risks attached ( I like taking risks ).
    Cheers,
    Prateek

PS; My processor is i7 2600K which I run in standard trim and the PSU is Corsair 800GS. I have recently installed a CPU cooler when I noticed that the CPU was operating at 80 deg Centigrade. On the Asus, without the cooler max temp was 66deg centigrade.
    Does large amounts of RAM contribute to higher operating temp, or is it a motherboard issue?
    Last edited by Prateek; 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM.

A few problems here, 1) anytime you mix 2 sets or more (you have in effect 4, since they are single sticks) it can be problematic, which is why they sell sets of 2,3,4,6,8 sticks..buying one of those ensures that they were all tested to work together and play nice and 2) You have an Intel mobo which isn't noted for running fast DRAM, large amounts of DRAM or high capacity (8GB sticks).....so right off the bat, you will want the latest BIOS, you will also want to disable XMP (as it won't work with multiple sets or individual sticks and set your base timings manually 10-10-10-30 (to start, may have to be loosened), CR at 2T, would start DRAM voltage at 1.6, VCCSA at 1.28, and VTT/VCCIO at 1.2 and see how that goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you. I will try it.
      A couple of things, I really need to use this as a back up board in case my Asus P8Z68 Deluxe cops out again for some reason.So these sticks are going there as soon as a replacement board comes back. My question is that, even though the specs state that this RAM is tested on the Asus, will I have a problem running them on that board? Will that board accept the stated frequency? I know it is speculation at this time, but the best people to clarify things are you guys. I must have realistic expectations. Even on this board, everything works fine if memory is kept at 1333mhz. Does underclocking really affects performance noticeably?
      Many questions, sorry ! but it is expensive and rare to get it in India and thus the apprehension.
      Thanks again for the quick reply, hoping to get these answers too.
      Cheers,
      Prateek

Comment

Underclocking definitely slows it down, what you can do though to gain back the loss is tighten the timings so it performs faster, at a lower freq, you won't gain back all the lost bandwidth but will gain a fair amount of it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you so much. A few things I could change and others I did not find. But the system booted in first go after I changed the following things.
          Changed the DRAM voltage from 1.5 volts to 1.6 volts.
          changed from whatever values it had to 10-10-10-30. I could not locate 2N.
          Changed the memory frequency from 1333 to 1600.
          System voltage was changed from .92 smoething to 1.2 volts. I hope it was the right thing to do as there is no mention of VTT/VCCIO.
          I could not locate VCCSA so whatever is called by intel remains at its default.
          Is it required that I find the unchanged values and modify them?
          cheers,
          Prateek
          PS: Is there a glossary and explanation of these terms from where I can learn...

Comment

Hey There,
            No. It collapsed again at the next reboot. I guess I'll leave this intel board as is. When I get the Asus back, I'll work things accordingly and bother you again.
            Thanks so much,
            Cheers,
            Prateek

Comment

No bother, the terms change from mobo to mobo, manufacturer to manufacturer, VCCIO is the memory controller voltage also called CPUVTT, VTT, and other things, VCCSA is the System Agent voltage. I'll see if I can pull up a manual for your mobo later today and clear it up

Tman

Comment

I can confirm that following kit's will work perfect with the Intel DZ68BC:

F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL
                F3-1600C9Q-32GXM
                Intel i7-980X @ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Rampage III Extreme| MSI GTX580 Lightning XE | 24GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL7 F3-12800CL7T-12GBSR | Intel X25-E 64GB & X25-M 80GB | 3x600GB WD6000HLHX VelociRaptor & 1xWD2001FASS 2 TB | Teac DV-W5000S & Pioneer DVR-216D | Seasonic X-650 | Lian Li TYR PC-X2000F @bequiet Silentwings USC |

Comment

Appreciate the info, others should benefit from it

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X