Gigabyte wrong memory voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte wrong memory voltage

I got a kit computer setup from newegg.com that came with a Gigabyte motherboard (GA-880gm-USB3 v3.1) based on the AMD 880 chipset. The kit also came with 4GB of G.Skill memory: F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM. The memory specs say it is 1.5v which CPU-ID confirms, but my motherboard is setting it to 1.6v and I have no way of reducing that. The memory tweaking utility in the bios only allows voltage increases over stock voltage. I am not overclocking the memory in any way. The system bus is at 200mhz and the Dram clock is set at 8X so the memory is receiving exactly 200 X 8 = 1600 as it should. Is this an issue with Gigabyte's bios or something to do with this memory being designed for Intel / XMP and not AMD boards. I did notice that my gigabyte board doesn't use the XMP memory timings of cas 8. It instead uses the cas latencies of 9, which are also shown in the SPD, so it does seem to read that info, but gets the voltage wrong (I think). Any thoughts? Is this a bug report to Gigabyte or expected behavior? Is this overvoltage going to shorten the life of the memory?

Thanks,

Bob

First check that the motherboard has the latest BIOS. Should be able to run at 1.5

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, I have the latest bios for the motherboard, so I have no idea why it is setting the ram to 1.6v. The system is running stable, I just don't know how harmful the extra voltage is to the ram. I sent a tech support email to Gigabyte a few days ago, but their online tracker says they haven't even opened it yet.

Bob

Comment

The DRAM itself is safe, there's a built in tolerance for higher voltage, but GB appears to have a problem w/ the mobo, DDR3 standard voltage is 1.5 so if it's at 1.6 somethings off, unless they designed for higher voltage, in which case 1.5 sticks shouldn't be in a package deal

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Gigabyte tech support finally got back to me. They just basically said that the motherboard selects the best voltage for the installed memory and that .1v increase was within tolerance for the memory. They didn't really seem to interested in the fact that the motherboard was getting it wrong, as long as it was within tolerance. So I guess that's that.

Bob

Comment

Well glad to hear it's settled

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X