Crazy GPU problems after adding 8GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy GPU problems after adding 8GB RAM

I am having a nightmare trying to figure out why I am experiencing GPU problems after upgrading to 2x4GB sticks from the stock 2x2GB that came with my laptop.

Here are the specs:
    Static components:
    Laptop: ASUS A52JR-X1
    CPU: Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz)
    Chipset: Intel HM55
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 =
    1GB Dedicated (Windows reports same AND 3799MB Shared) = My guess is this may be part of the issue. Maybe is I have too much RAM available it freaks out?

Previously:
    2x2GB (Offbrand) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) RAM

Currently:
    2x4GB G. Skill DDR1333 (PC 10666) RAM

If I put only 4GB of my new RAM in, everything works fine. However if I put both sticks in putting my RAM up to 8GB, then I have a lot of different GPU problems running games such as
    Most prevalent-> 1) Game will freeze, screen flickers, then comes back on. The error in Event Viewer at the time shows: “Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
    2) errors loading – DirectX fails to load
    3) A few BSOD’s with error Memory Management
    Last edited by scourge69; 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM.

First make sure you have the latest BIOS and also check for the latest GPU driver for the graphics, then let us know if that helped

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Update

I have the latest graphics drivers and the BIOS is recent.

FYI
      I also did a MemTest86 on both sticks of RAM and they passed with flying colors.

(I am an IT by trade and I understand it is best practices and helpful for troubleshooting to have the latest drivers but in this case I'm not sure why any form of update would be necessary if everything works with 4GB RAM but not with 8GB.)
      Last edited by scourge69; 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Feel free to send the memory in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
        X