Mix F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM with F3-12800CL9Q-8GBZL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM with F3-12800CL9Q-8GBZL

Hi, I have an ASRock x58 Extreme with a kit of F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM installed that's running great. I want to expand to >12GB, and it would seem the cheapest way of doing this is to buy this kit (as it brings 8GB for the same price as the 6GB kit I already have), and sell the "extra" module. My only worry is compatibility. I can see that the timings are slightly different, and the 8GB kit is rated at 1.5v. I'm assuming the voltage won't be an issue and that they can handle 1.6v (I think I've got my kit running at 1.5v anyhow, I'll check on reboot), but the rest (timings etc) I don't know and that's where I'd like some help.

Edit: Another option would be to get this kit for $10 more and have a ridiculous 18GB (maybe a RAM disk), and maybe try to sell my old 6GB kit (and use it meanwhile). It just seems ridiculous to pay a premium for no performance difference (i.e. buy a duplicate of my kit, which I guess is more expensive because it's not in production anymore or something).
    Last edited by adriangb; 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM.

For 12 your best bet is set #2, have to keep in mind, ANY TIME you mix two sets (even) identical sets, it can be problematic...to keep it short they may not want to play together, mixing in different voltage bases and timings makes it even more likely to Not play nice. The second set you mention is what I was first thinking of before I even got to where you brought it up, you'll have your 12 at a reasonable price and with this set, it's likely the price will only go down, but these will be around so if you ever want to go 24 mixing this with another of the same generally can be done with basic voltage adjustments

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank's. I think that's what I'll end up doing. I can always run without the 6GB kit if they don't work together. I don't think I'll need more than 12GB since I'm planning on selling and going Ivy Bridge (I like to have native controllers since I use an OS that doesn't support anything but that), but it's nice to have the option.

Comment

Let us know how you like them

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X