Dumb Question Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question Time

Hello and please excuse the ignorance of the following question.
    Will F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL work on a mother board that is not LGA 2011.
    The description says designed for LGA2011 , does that mean it will not work in anything other than LGA2011 Motherboards??

I purchased F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL in hope of building an video editing system with the intention of also purchasing an ASUS P9X79 Pro Sandy Bridge LGA 2011 Motherboard along with the i7-3930k processor.
    2 months later and the processor is still as rare as hen's teeth so I am about to give up.
    I am looking at ASUS P6X58-E Pro LGA 1366, with Intel i7-980 Hex Core Processor.

If the Memory I have will work I will just use 6 of the 8 strips .
    Any help would be hugely appreciated
    Thank you
    Tony
    "The Blindness of my excitement was overshadowed by the vision of my failure" Tony Politis Jan 2012 but it turns out that
    "The Vision of my Failure was Overshadowed by the Blindness of my Excitement "
    Tony Politis February 2012

Yes the sticks will work, going from quad channel (X79) to tri-channel simply means you'll have to set the timings manually as XMP wont work with a partial (6 of 8 stick) set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you Tradesman for such a speedy response.
      I think I will go ahead and order the ASUS P6X58-E Pro LGA 1366 motherboard , with Intel i7-980 Hex Core Processor .
      When you say "you'll have to set the timings manually" do you mean that I will have to set that in the BIOS???
      Again,thank you for your help. This is the second time you have offered help to my some what simple questions
      Tony
      "The Blindness of my excitement was overshadowed by the vision of my failure" Tony Politis Jan 2012 but it turns out that

Comment

Yes, since you won't be using the full set will prob have to input the base timings in the BIOs, it's no big deal, give us a shout if any problems

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you...
          I will order the motherboard and processor tonight.
          No doubt I will be back for more help when they arrive.
          I did not realize they were matched in sets. I just thought that I had bought 8 x 4g sicks of memory that just happened to come packaged together.
          Could you point me in the right direction where I could read up about the matching sticks???
          Again thank you
          Tony

Comment

Have seen it in articles and confirmed it with GSkill, will see if I can dig them up, right now am fighting a chest cold (which is why I wasn't in much yesterday)

Tman

Comment

Stay healthy
              thank you Tman
              Tony

Comment

Been browsing today and found a few articles but will pass this one on as it also refers to the new ARES line of DRAM, which is low profile, high performance

http://hothardware.com/News/GSkill-K...formance-Kits/

Tman

Comment

Thank you Tman
                  I appreciate your patience and I am Slowly getting there but
                  I think I need to do a bit more reading to fully understand memory.
                  Any more articles or links will sure be appreciated.
                  Tony

Comment

Here's a few on DRAM, first on SDRAM in general

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchro...-access_memory

on timings:

http://www.overclock.net/t/381699/ram-timings-explained

on SPD/XMP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_...file_.28XMP.29

hope these help

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X