Difference between Z and X Ripjaws for X79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Z and X Ripjaws for X79

I am building a new X79 2011 computer with a 3960X chip, I have never used any RAM except GSkill in my builds and I wont start now. I want to buy 16gbs of GSkill 1866 or 1600 mhz RAM with Fans. It is embarrassing but I cant find the difference between the X or Z versions. I would like to buy the black kits I have seen but Newegg or Amazon does not sell them. I am going to put these in an Asus X79 Sabertooth motherboard. Please advise.

The Ripjaws X were primarily designed around for the Next Gen Intel CPUs and the P67/H68/Z68 chipsets with dual channel and XMP 1.2.....the Z series is designed more to the X79 chipset, dual/quad channel and XMP 1.3, while being backward compatible to XMP 1.2 (w/ the XMP 1.2 profile added as Profile 2). For an X79 build I would suggest the Z models....however I don't think any of the 1600 or 1866 sets come w/ the fan(s) however they are available for individual purchase (at the Egg can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835236002

Also if going 16GB can go either 4x4GB or 2x8GB, of the two think I'd suggest the 4x4GB to utilize the capabilities of quad channel, maybe something like the 2133 set below which could be downclocked to 1866 with a tighter CL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231503

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you very much I feel much better about my purchaseing now, I am going to go with the ones you said and buy the fan separately. Thank again for your quick answer and expertise.

Comment

No problem, let us know what you think, have a feeling you'll love em, and 2133 is no biggie for those, run pretty cool if you don't want to mess with going down to 1866, I wouldn't

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          No problem, let us know what you think, have a feeling you'll love em, and 2133 is no biggie for those, run pretty cool if you don't want to mess with going down to 1866, I wouldn't
          Like I said, you are the best, its great to know someone is here to help me, I am 70 years old and not a newbie but I sure dont know as much as you, its a pleasure to have you here to help me. Thank you.

Comment

I've been in this for over 30 years and we all keep learning (one of the reasons I'm here) tech is constantly evolving and growing

Tman

Comment

Well without you here, I am not so sure I would be buying so much GSkill products, I have GSkill Falcon Pro SSDs and all my computers, 4 of them have GSkill RAM, mostly bought at Newegg or Amazon. But I really dont think they would have my business without you.

Comment

Appreciate it, I'm here to continue learning and because I really thing they have great products and I've used most all of them here and there, actually came to the forums from one of the first SSDs they had out, and unlike today, their Techs weren't reall knowledgable about SSDs or DRAM, so I started helping out, and here we are today, almost exactly three years later. Am Glad they got the current folks in support now, as they are very, very good, but also have their hands full, they are the same that do phone, email, business support as well as manage the systems here in the States and help out with GSkill corporate systems in China. feel free to drop a note to the thread under my signature here, I appreciate input on how I'm doing here

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X