AMD Problem - 2 sets F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Problem - 2 sets F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

First off, I would like to say that both my first and 2nd set passed memtest 10+ times with no errors. Around a week later 1 stick out of both kits began to fail.

Board: gigabyte 990fx-ud3 (tried both f5 and f6e beta bios)
    Processor: FX-4100 @ both stock speeds and OC to 4.6ghz (just raised multiplier to 23 and voltage to 1.42)
    Timings: both default reading only 1600 and at 1866 with 9-10-9-28 @ 1.5v
    Slots utilized: 1 and 2 as per motherboard recommendations

So i had the first kit and everything was running smoothly. Out of no where the stick in slot 2 started throwing errors. Tried it in my other 3 slots and it continued to fail.

The stick in slot 1, the good one, passed memtest so I tried it out in slot 2. It passed there as well. No biggy, I thought i just had a bad stick, so I RMAd it back to newegg.

A few days later I got my replacement set and ran memtest again. Again, both sticks passed memtest without a hitch. Now, just hours ago, I got my first BSOD since replacement. I decided to run memtest and the stick in slot 2 is causing errors now. Once again I tried it in slot 1 and it continued to produce errors. The other stick passes.

On another note, while running prime95 for an hour or so, I dont get any errors.

I find it hard to believe that both kits have a bad stick. Is there a compatibility issue with this particular ram and my motherboard/CPU?

Kind of at my wits end about this and would like get my new system running without a hitch!

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited by awc5004; 02-03-2012, 08:51 PM. Reason: Added OC info

This has been a problem with the FX series since it was released, I bought an 8150 and got 4 sticks of 1866 to run, but at high voltages and heat, I tried an 8120 and got them to go but not with any real stability (so I sold off the 8150 rig at a loss) and started in with AMD, after nothing with phone support, I went to email and began documenting, they finally refered me to their BIOS and Kernal guide (who no one has ever heard of) and it states that the FX CPUs can run 1866 - but only 1 stick per channel (under warranty). I then went to corporate and after numerous discussions they have changed the advertising to better reflect true capabilities (native 1333, SUPPORT UP TO 1866 WITH 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL) see thread:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/announcement.php?f=2

What I have been suggesting to my customers who already, like you vested in the hardware, try running the sticks at 1600, with the Snipers, might get them at 8-9-8-28, 2N and 1.55 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply!

I am currently trying to run in dual-channel mode with 1 stick in slot 1 and the other in slot 2.

This motherboard is setup different than ones I have owned in the past.

| | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      4 2 3 1

Channel 0 is slots 4 and 2
      Channel 1 is slots 3 and 1

Strange because on almost every motherboard I had in the past had slots 1 and 3 recommended for the 2 stick dual channel setup.

Anyways, I tried changing the timings and bumped the voltage a bit. The one stick still continues to give errors, while the other passes at both 1866 timings and 1600.

I find it strange because both my first and second kits passed memtest when I first installed, but then a week or so later, the stick in slot 2 begins to give errors.

Like I said before, I pulled the stick from slot 2 and tried it in the other slots only to continue to receive errors. However when I take the good stick from slot 1 and try it in slot 2, it passes, so i dont think it is a motherboard or socket issue.

Comment

If you have or could borrow a pair of sticks you could possibly get a better idea if it's the sticks or the mobo

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          If you have or could borrow a pair of sticks you could possibly get a better idea if it's the sticks or the mobo
          Unfortunately I cant really get my hands on another kit. I built systems for both a friend and my brother using the same exact ram.

My friend has the same motherboard and ram as me. As far as I know, he just runs at 1600 with no problems.

My brother has a gigabyte 990xa-ud3 with a fx-8150. I know he had to RMA his kit back to newegg just last week because one stick began to fail all of a sudden. I believe he is currently running at the 1600 settings. Ill have to give him a call and have him run memtest.

I would also like to note that my brothers and my own system are new. His being built about a month ago and mine just 2 weeks ago. I built my friends about 6 months ago.

Comment

Have you checked for BIOS updates? Might also check socket/CPU for bent pins or possible thermal compound under CPU/in socket
            Last edited by Tradesman; 02-04-2012, 12:39 PM.

Tman

Comment

Have you checked for BIOS updates? Might also check soket/CPU for bent pins or possible thermal compound under CPU/in socket
              Yeah, I have tried the latest release (F5) and the beta bios (F6f)

Ill pull the heatsink here and check out the CPU. Kind of a PITA to get off since im using a CM V6GT.

Also, took my "bad" stick over to my brothers system and ran memtest. It failed right away. Again strange as it passed just a week ago.

Ill keep ya posted

Comment

Sounds like a bad DIMM, might want to return or exchange, if past the date can RMA to GSkill

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
                  Sounds like a bad DIMM, might want to return or exchange, if past the date can RMA to GSkill
                  Yeah, I already have the RMA setup at newegg. Just what are the odds of having 1 bad stick out of 2 different kits?

Also, to follow up with tradesman, I pulled the heatsink and checked out the socket and pins on the CPU with a magnifying glass. Everything appears to be normal. No bent/broken pins and clean of excess thermal paste.

I have a set of mushkin redline on the way, so it should be here in a few days. Right now im running the 1 good stick without any problems. I decided to put it over in socket 2 and will stress test / benchmark it to see if I get any errors.

On a side note, has anyone every heard of a bad ram socket corrupting DIMMs?

Also, im running a corsair hx750 powersupply. I have tested it monitored the voltages in HWMonitor. All the numbers are good and steady.

Comment

It's possible...might have a bad solder spot or a bad voltage lead that goes to the slot and in effect is shorting the slot. Could you try your sticks in your brothers or another system to see how Memtest does there

Tman

Comment

It's possible...might have a bad solder spot or a bad voltage lead that goes to the slot and in effect is shorting the slot. Could you try your sticks in your brothers or another system to see how Memtest does there
                      Yeah, ill have him try them out and post back with the results.

Comment

Let us know, I'll be in and out.......like always

Tman

Comment

Let us know, I'll be in and out.......like always
                          I appreciate you taking the time to try and get this sorted out. Ill head over to his place tomorrow morning and see what memtest turns up

Comment

TOMORROW MORNING! Let's get this done right now!.........haha!, just kidding! whenever you can get to it, Unless I'm out working on-site (and even then quite often) I normally have one or two systems up with some of the different forums and sites I hit a lot running, so I'm in and out all the time, if nothing else checking for SPAM and/or checking for new users (making sure they aren't already confirmed spammers)....so get a good night's rest (or have fun) and will catch ya later.

Tman

Comment

TOMORROW MORNING! Let's get this done right now!.........haha!, just kidding! whenever you can get to it, Unless I'm out working on-site (and even then quite often) I normally have one or two systems up with some of the different forums and sites I hit a lot running, so I'm in and out all the time, if nothing else checking for SPAM and/or checking for new users (making sure they aren't already confirmed spammers)....so get a good night's rest (or have fun) and will catch ya later.
                              Yeah, i was hoping to try it out this evening, but he works in a hosptial and get stuck doing some overtime. So short of kicking in his door, I dont think ill get access to his computer!

Comment

Working...
                              X