Update on PC freeze and BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on PC freeze and BSOD

Ok, after weeks of trial and error I have narrowed the freeze and BSOD to a dual channel issue. In slots 1 and 3 the pc goes for days without issue. When I switched the RAM to 2 and 4 the pc freezes in about 14 hours . Also I checked each stick and each appear to work fine in slot 1 alone for 24 hours. The timings are the same in all as well as the voltages. The timings are as recommended. I wish there was a way to attach the document from CPU-Z so I can show you all the configurations.
    I have a MSI P67A C43 (MS 7673) MB with chipset - Intel Sandybridge Rev 9.
    I have (4) ripjaws in total two of the are F3-12800CL9D-8GBXLand the other two are F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL.

Currently I have one of each in slots 1 and 3 as I did prior to testing DIm slots 2 and 4. Am I supposed to be using one XL and one RL in slots 1 and 3 or is it two XL an two RL to be used together in slots 1 and 3? I tried combining the two types and it seems to work best with one XL and one RL. If this arrangement issue is not the problem I have no idea what else the problem can be with DIMM 2 and 4 not working right? What can cause the 2 and 4 slots to not work when the 1 and 3 seem to be working great? Maybe a motherboard fault? I dont have a spare motherboard with the capacity to handle DDR3 RAM like these so what else could be done, any help on this will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JoeWelsh; 02-03-2012, 05:46 AM.

With two sets it can be prblematic, more so with different sets/different chips used - since XMP won't work with 2 might try disable XMP base timings to 9-9-9-24, 2T, DRAM voltage to 1.55 and raise VCCIO voltage by + .06 - could also try dropping to 1333 8-8-8-24 to test if all 4 slots are working, could be a matter of balancing the sticks or could be mobo fault...could also see if you could borrow 4 sticks from someone and try them to check mobo and slots

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

one more question about the RAM

ok, I was just wondering, are the 8GBRL and the 8GBXL two seperate sets? When I ordered these from the company that built my pc they had two of each of those sticks installed. I am now thinking that the guy installed two different RAM sets on my dual channel MB which as you say can run into issues. That is probably why these problems are happening. They should have ordered a 16GB set and not put two different 8GB sets in. Is there a RAM set that you have that is for a 16GB that will work with my MB configs P67A-C43(MS-7673)- Chipset Intel P67 rev 09- Bios is version 1.11? If this is the case then the guy who built my pc should have checked if they worked first. Then I need to contact him and get a 16GB set and return the two 8GB sets. I know that I am bouncing around with this but I am trying to make sense of it all. I am not that knowledgable about compatibility with different sets and dual channels yet. I checked my configs on my motherboard and it says it supports triple channel. There is a lot to know when dealing with computer configurations. Thank you for all your help.

Joe

Comment

Correct on all counts, as a builder myself, I would never mix sets on a new build, and I feel it's a responsibility of the builder to deliver a stable system. I'd almost guess the guy had a pair laying around and just bought another set as close as possible to what he had. With GSkill DRAM if you buy a set of sticks regardless if a 2,3,4,6 or 8 stick set they are tested to all work together. As I think I mentioned earlier, any time you mix sets it can be problematic, some will work straight up (generally low freq) but oft times it takes adjustments, and at times they will not play together at all.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for the info

i will be contacting the guy who built the machine and ask him to send me a 16GB kit.

joe

Comment

Let us know how it goes, we'll be watching

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X