Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixed GSkill RAM. Same speed but different timings. Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed GSkill RAM. Same speed but different timings. Problem?

Hello,

I'm in the process of looking and building a new machine in the next few weeks. I am looking at building a machine with 24gig of RAM since i'm a heavy gamer and VM user. I have found a good deal for two sets of ram sticks, linked below. Same speed, but different timings. I don't know if there is any negative results from running the below configuration, there seems to be no information I can find on this subject of mixed RAM sticks with different timings.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro....aspx?pid=3450)

RAM Set 1 : G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz RipjawsZ X79 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V. Timings are 9-11-10-28-2N
    (http://www.ebuyer.com/319760-g-skill...000cl9q-16gbzh)

RAM Set 2 : G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL11 (11-11-11-30) 1.5V. Timings are 11-11-11-30
    (http://www.ebuyer.com/274061-g-skill...000cl11d-8gbxl)

CPU : Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz Socket 1366 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Question. Will having different timings on the RAM cause problems for this setup?

First, always best to get a single set that that will provide enough DRAM for current and projected future needs, that way the set is tested for all sticks working together and lets you use XMP. Next best choice, two identical sets that add up to current/future needs, those, even if they don't want to play initially can normally be adjusted via DRAM/MC voltage manipulation to play together in a stable fashion. Last choice is to mix different sets of different models/capacities/timings/voltages such as you are looking at....this is/can be a BIG problem even at low frequencies, at 1600 and up the chances of meshing the sets to a stable platform is poor and gets worse as the freq increases due to the high tolerances levels between the sets.

In the instance you describe, I would guess that possibly repeat possibly, you could get the sets to play together at maybe 1600 or so with tighter timings, but unless under the gun, don't think I'd try it, could well end up spending more than a full/brand new matching 24GB set would cost. It's also possible the two sets would gel immediately with something like 10-10-10-32 timings and high DRAM/vCore/and QPI/VTT voltages (but I think very doubtful).

Sorry I couldn't be more positive sounding, but would hate to see money get thrown away and time wasted

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Considering what has been said,i've changed my mind on both motherboard and RAM configuration.

Changed to a motherboard with 8 RAM slots, and now i'm going for 2 sets of the 16gig kits. I think this will be ideal towards my needs without causing any of the problems of mixing timings etc.

Comment

Let us know how it goes -- and a 32 GB set would be better, that way all the sticks are tested to work together

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X