One More Z-Series on P8Z68 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One More Z-Series on P8Z68 Question

Hello All and Thanks for providing such a valuable resource!

I've read dozens of posts on this already, but due to some contradictions, need to ask for clarification. After a quick (obviously too quick) check for compatibility, I picked up the F3-17000 CL9Q 16GBZH set for use with the ASUS P8Z68 MB and i7 2600K processor.

Information on this board tells me that I can use the sticks, even though designed for the X79 platform, but in one post, the author said to just select XMP-Profile 2 and in another post the author said timings would have to set manually.

If settings need to be manual and I wanted to use Profile 1 for some reason, what would timing settings need to be in that case?

Can someone help me out with this? (Other than tell me to buy the right memory in the first place )

Thanks again for the forum and all the educated responses. I've learned a lot!

Regards,
    Ed

Latest info I've gotten, from GSkill FAE (Wales here in the forums) is

Hi

About X.M.P Version
    RipjawsZ x4 DIMM kit
    DDR3-1333~1600 only have profile1 (XMP 1.2), No need to use 1.3

DDR3-1866+ XMP rev 1.3, having two profiles
    Profile1 only used for 1.3 BIOS , profile2 is compatible with 1.2 and 1.3

RipjawsZ x8 DIMM kit
    Only have profile1
    DDR3-1333~1600 XMP1.2
    DDR3-1866+ XMP1.3

Some items ( 1866+) of Ripjaws X will updated to 1.3 , having two profies in 2012

Hope this helps

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the response Tradesman,

In your post, what do you mean by x4 or x8? Are you referring to 4GB and 8GB modules? (sorry for the dumb questions, my last build used DDR2 and I never overclocked anything in that box)

Maybe I don't fully understand XMP. In reading about the subject, I thought that XMP data was stored on the memory module and was used to define safe OC settings for that particular DIMM with Profile 1 being something less extreme than Profile 2.

If I understand your post, using the F3-17000CL9Q 16GBZH DIMM kit, I should be able to set XMP Profile 2 on the P8Z68 Deluxe MB and be running the memory at DDR3-2133 specs. (or am I more confused that I thought )

Thanks again for trying to educate me!
      Ed

Comment

That was the info he sent me, and the way I read it is X4 = 4 stick sets and X8 - 8 sticks sets as there is no need for XMP 1.2 with 8 stick sets since there are no older chipsets that would take 8 sticks, the 1155, 1156, 1366 are 4-6 stick mobos.

And yes XMP is programmed into the sticks to set up the system for OCing for you, so you don't have to go through all the individual set-up you had to do with say the 775 socket i.e. ensuring the the FSB (and voltages) was 1600 or better to use 1600 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X