Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my memory slot dead?

Hi everyone,

After having several BSOD's I ran MEMTEST on my previous rams (which used to pass memtest) and my screen went RED just after 2 min, Decided to go for F3-12800CL7D-8GBSR, Used it and my GA-P55A UD3R correctly adjusted everything , But again some BSOD here and random crashes there lead me to MEMTEST again which resulted in a wall of red few mints after I started it.

Here is the troubleshooting I did:

Connected Ram A only on Slot 1 and started MEMTEST which resulted in errors at the 4th test
    Connected Ram B only on Slot 1 and started MEMTEST which resulted in errors at the 4th test
    Connected Ram A only on Slot 3 and started MEMTEST which passed an over night test
    Connected Ram B only on Slot 3 and started MEMTEST which passed an over night test

So Anything that goes into slot 1 = Major errors, is my slot dead?
    Is there anything to do which might help? tried going for 1.64V but it didn't work, maybe juice up something else? qpi? I'm desperate as if i have to change the mobo ill have to buy a new one which is out of stock, buying a new chipset = new cpu which means ill waste my I7-860.

Please some input is highly appreciated.

Might be, could try making sure you have the latest BIOS to see if that helps at all, could also pull the 860 and reset it if (make sure no bent or broken pins, no dust/thermal compound in socket/on CPU, might possibly even see if you can try a different PSU or another set of sticks. DRAM sockets don't often go bad but it does happen. If all else fails, may look around for a different P55 mobo, Newegg has a few

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the answer,

By resetting the CPU you mean just removing it and re-attaching it? sorry im a noob as you may have gathered xD

as for the thermal compound I think it's out of the picture since I didn't use any (just the stock one) but ill clean whatever is left anyways and re-apply.

As for the BIOS I do have the Latest F13 installed.

And for the PSU I'm in fact awaiting my new Corsair Professional AX750 cause I also suspect that my PSU might be the cause of 3 HDD's having a fryed PCB within the year.

anyways ill do what I can now as you instructed me, never though a bad CPU / socket could effect a slot!

thanks a lot for the fast answer mate

Comment

Just trying to cover all possibles and hopefully save you some money and keep things up and running, your memory controller is in the CPU, so it needs to have full contact with all the pins (i.e. look for bent broken pins, they are on the fragile side) or can, in effect, mess with the signal to an individual socket. To be honest, I doubt this is the problem, but have seen it happen though after the previous BSODs I'd lean a little more towards an erratic PSU, which may have caused the problem w/ your HD(s)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

thanks for the input Tman, will update this thread tomorrow once I reset my CPU.

Comment

We'll be around waiting to hear

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X