ASUS P5Q3 and G.SKILL F3-1066CL9Q-16GBRL RAM problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS P5Q3 and G.SKILL F3-1066CL9Q-16GBRL RAM problem

OK so I have the weirdest problem i think .

MB - ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Extreme X9650
    Windows 7 64bit

OLD RAM (If relevant) - 2x CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 CM3X2048-1600C9DHX

NEW RAM (I am trying to install) - G.SKILL F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

So here is what I did -

First i took out the old ram, then i put in all 4 sticks, powerd on the PC - and nothing
    all i get is black screen the fans are running. HDD turns on.. But still black screen.

Then i tested the 4 sticks 1 by 1.. and i got the same result.

Then I decided to power on the PC with 1 Corsair and 1 G.SKILL stick... (2 and 4 gb total of 6) - The PC runs fine - memory is present in the BIOS and in Windows.

So then I decided to install 3 G.SKILL sticks with 1 CORSAIR and... it runs fine again.. RAM is present in BIOS and in Windows. (Total of 14GB)

Do you have any idea why cant I run G.SKILL sticks by them selves? I updated my bios to the last available in the ASUS support site. I did BIOS reset several times. All the settings are set to default.

If you need any other information I'll give it right away. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did you reset the BIOS and then manually set up the GSkill sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes I did a reset on the BIOS ... but i get a Black screen with the G.SKILL Sticks after that.

In order to get to the bios.. I need to have one of the old sticks inserted.

So in case I didn't understand.. you mean configure the BIOS manually with the old ram inserted.. and then restart, and insert the G.SKILL ?

If that's the case I will try.. but I have no Idea what settings to use..

Sorry to bother you but if you cold tell me what settings to use that'll be great. Thanks

Comment

Can try that, also do you have the latest BIOS for the mobo?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes i have the latest bios released by asus.

However i don't know what setting to use ( i know for the timinks 9-9-9-24 and the voltage 1.5) I assume the fsb speed should be 333.. i don't have idea about the other setting cpu frequency, NB voltage, PCIE frequency ...

Comment

OK Is this logical? I figured that the old ram has never operated at 1600 MHz.. it has always been at 1066... I adjusted some settings and I was able to get it to run at 1600.. however this is not relevant ...

With the deafult settings of the bios the old ram runs at 1066 which means that When having 1 of the old sticks inserted.. the bios automatically adjust all sticks to run at 1066 with timings 7-7-7-20 .. So If I manage to enter this settings manually does this mean that I will be able to run the G.SKILL by itself ?

Comment

Ok so that worked.. no running 16GB at 1066 MHz
              If you would be so kind to tell me all the settings for the BIOS
              so i can run the RAM at 1333 that would be great (I haven't done any Memory settings in the BIOS up till now). So if you can list them so I would be able to enter them .. that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comment

9-9-9-24, 2T, 1.5, then from there may have to adjust (raise) DRAM and/or NB voltage a bit to stabilize

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X