Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripjaws DDR3 2400 won't post as XMP 2400 (DX79SI mobo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripjaws DDR3 2400 won't post as XMP 2400 (DX79SI mobo)

I've got 32 gigs (8x 4g) of DDR3 2400 Ripjaws in a DX79SI motherboard with an i7-3960X CPU.

I've flashed the latest BIOS from Intel (1128), reset the BIOS to default settings, and made sure the overclocking assistant was disabled.

By default the memory speed is showing up as DDR3-1600.

I go into Performance and select the Memory Profile of XMP-2400.

This changes the voltage from 1.5 to 1.65, and the multiplier from 12:1600 to 18:2400.

I save and exit, and the machine no longer posts.

I'm going to be bummed if I paid all this $$$ for 2400 and it will only run at 1600... any hints appreciated.

What set(s) do you have? Guessing two sets of 16GB, If so XMP won't work, try with one set first, with XMP enabled and set the profile, see what the OC is at, then restart to BIOS, add the second set, make sure base timings remain correct, disable XMP and try. From there may need to add voltage to the DRAM and/or CPU/VTT....if it will even run all 8 sticks....the Intel DX79SI might only run 4 sticks at 2400. Intel mobos aren't real high on DRAM at the high end

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'd suggest getting a motherboard on our QVL list, you're going to have a hard time reaching the rated specifications with that motherboard. With Intel motherboards, you shouldn't expect much over standard.

With XMP enabled, check to see if it is changing the VCCSA/IMC Voltage. This needs to be 1.20V-1.25V for full slots of DDR3-2400.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 01-06-2012, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Hi everyone.
        I am very lucky to be receieving a new system for work (from my father)
        He wants to get me the best,
        I do alot of photoshop print work (a1 sizes)
        I am doing 2d and possibly some 3d animation - I see the rendering on my old pc takes time to create the .mov/ .avi files.
        He is trying to future proof me a bit too.
        at this stage we have purchased:

INTEL i7-3960X processor.
        32 gb - [ TridentX ] F3-2400C10Q-32GTX

I was planning on getting the INTEL DX79SI motherboard

I heard from your germany support that with the INTEL DX79SI motherboard I could only reach perhaps 1600 mhz speed?

I HAVE NOT YET ORDERED THE MOTHERBOARD.. hence the post.
        I know you cant provide pre sales support, but I have your memory now, and a good processor, and I want to try and get a great motherboard that will be a good choice for this memory.

the thing is, as this is for work, I want stability over performance. and I may eventually want another 32gb ram in a few years, as my work gets more complex. my father didnt want me to be limited to slower speeds.

((We saw that even 32gb kit at 1600 mhz from another company was the same price as this super fast memory you offer - so we still feel it was well worth buying your 32gb memory kit - even if I cant get the max speeds.))

My father also feels that perhaps a year or 3 down the line new bios updates? might allow the boards to take advantage of the faster speeds.
        and he didnt want my memory configuration to be a hinderence.

I also realsize with the work I am doing, I may not even NOTICE the speed differences between this board and that, and that memory and the other etc. (not just yet)

What do you think ?
        are we making a big mistake going for the intel motherboard instead of another ?

I did want to get x79 motherboard technology.. and your QVL lists dont show them.. so from what I understand I would be going backwards a bit getting a z77 board. ??

Am I getting all this right? (roughly)
        Looking at history of motherboards and updates over the last few years , is it possible the x79 boards can start to take advangtage of the high speeds later on?

any advice very welcome.
        thanks!
        Russ Law

Comment

Also, as I do like the intel DX79SI ,
          you might want to explain about the best way I can get the most out of this with your memory, even if you cant answer anything else.

ok, look forward to hearing from you .
          thanks
          Russ Law

(hopefully I am asking this in the right place on the forum)

Comment

also , looking again I see this memory is recommened for x79 !
            [ RipjawsZ ] F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8

putting prices aside, would this memory work better in my x79 motherboard than the

Or would they be the same, if run at the same speed.

thanks again

Comment

Trident X is higher performance, so same speed it will still be better.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Just my opinion, but if you want good performance, unless you want to run basically 1333-1600 DRAM and a light OC, I'd stay away from Intel mobos, they are mainly built for performing and stock levels, and many people run into trouble getting any type of support beyond stock settings, so buying high freq DRAM and CPUs (i.e. a K series) is sort of a waste, and as you say you want it to last awhile, I'd go with a mobo that you can OC well to help future proof it

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you

thanks for the help everyone

Comment

best x79 motherboard

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                    Just my opinion, but if you want good performance, unless you want to run basically 1333-1600 DRAM and a light OC, I'd stay away from Intel mobos, they are mainly built for performing and stock levels, and many people run into trouble getting any type of support beyond stock settings, so buying high freq DRAM and CPUs (i.e. a K series) is sort of a waste, and as you say you want it to last awhile, I'd go with a mobo that you can OC well to help future proof it

ok, I have the INTEL i7-3960X processor.

best motherbpard for this hardware ?
                    I also want another 32gb eventually. so had to have 8 slots.

I do need x79 right?

thx

Comment

Might look at the Asus Rampage iV Extrme

Tman

Comment

Check out the options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ED&Pagesize=20

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by loydb View Post
                          I've flashed the latest BIOS from Intel (1128)

Are you sure with the Bios Version?

I have the Intel DX79SI too, but the latest bios is version 0494.

I can confirm that this memory Kit works perfect with the Intel DX79SI:

G.Skill RipJaws-X F3-1600C9Q-32GXM Kit 32GB PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)

and this Kit runs perfect too:

Corsair XMS3 Dominator GT DIMM Kit 32GB PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-27 (DDR3-1866) (CMT32GX3M4X1866C9)

Both Kits will run a default voltages (but the xmp loading a higher System Agents Voltage) > no higher voltage is needed !
                          So you can lower the Voltage to 0,85V.

So i think you can use every G.Skill Kit @DDR3-1866Mhz without problems.

All over DDR3-1866 i think its not a good idea with Intel.

Edit:

ok i don't know how good intel can handle 8 DIMM's, i read something that Intel will only support DDR3-1333Mhz at full 8DIMM's
                          (i think it was in the intel support forum).

So my opinion is: better buy a 4x8GB Kit.
                          Last edited by Tenchi; 06-24-2012, 07:00 AM.
                          Intel i7-980X @ Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Rampage III Extreme| MSI GTX580 Lightning XE | 24GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 CL7 F3-12800CL7T-12GBSR | Intel X25-E 64GB & X25-M 80GB | 3x600GB WD6000HLHX VelociRaptor & 1xWD2001FASS 2 TB | Teac DV-W5000S & Pioneer DVR-216D | Seasonic X-650 | Lian Li TYR PC-X2000F @bequiet Silentwings USC |

Comment

Working...
                          X