Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-10666CL9Q-8GBRL vs. F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL9Q-8GBRL vs. F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL ?

Hi

1. Can you please explain the difference between F3-10666CL9Q-8GBRL vs. F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL ?

2. Can you also refer me to the location in GSKILL website that gives interpretation for each of the letters ?

3. Can you refer me to a selection guide ?

Thanks !

Q stands for quad so the set is 4 sticks x 2GB or 8GB total, the D set is 2 sticks at 4GB each to total 8GB.

Model numbers start out with F1 or F2 or F3 for DDR type DDR (1) or DDR2 or DD3
    next a dash (-)
    Next is speed, in your example 10666 = 1333, some others: 12800 = 1600, 14900 = 1866, 17000 = 2133
    Next is CAS Latency or in yours - CL9
    Next, set size - S=1 (single), D=2 (dual), T=3 (Tri), Q=4 (quad) T2=6 (Tri x 2), Q2=8 (quad x 2)
    Next a dash (-)
    Next total DRAM of set 8GB or 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 4GB, 6GB, 8GB, 12GB, 16GB, 24GB, 32GB or 64GB
    and last model designation RL for Ripjaws Low, RM Ripjaws Medium, XL,XM,XH Ripjaws X, low, med, high, ZL, ZM,ZH Ripjaws Z Low, etc, SR Snipers, and many many more

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

At the end I will be able to advise other people

Thanks for the detailed info. I think that you should put this explanation somewhere in the G-SKILL site to help buyers select the memory that they want.

So if I understand correct:
      Regarding CAS Latency - CL
      1. I know as much as the number will be smaller - this is a better performance memory.
      Can it be that memory with better (smaller) CL may not work on a board while memory with the same specifications but that only have lower CL performance (higher latency) will work ?

2. About Ripjaws series:
      2.1 RL/RM/RH, XL/XM/XH, etc... what is the meaning of the low, medium or high - is this reflected in CL parameter of the memory only or in any other parameters ?

2.2 Is it possible that while low version is guaranteed to work on my PC (tested by the motherboard's manufacturer) - the medium or the high versions will not work ?

2.3 You explained about the X series - it is based on R version but improved to several chipsets - including the chipset that is on my motherboard, so it is clear to me that the X versions are even better for me then the R versions.
      I also understand that the SR (spinner) versions are general purpose, but I did not get impression that I can buy them with confidence of match with my motherboard.
      I never heard about the Z versions - can you extend on this, so that I will know if they may fit mu motherboard as well, please ?

To remind, my motherboard is Gigabyte - H67MA-UD2H-B3

Cheers,
      -- Amit.

Comment

1. With Intel it seldom to never matters what the CL is, whether 9, 8, 7 etc, with AMD tight CLs can be troublesome due to the weak MC (Memory controller) in the CPU

2. L, M, H is an expected additional gauge of OC possibility for the sticks, i.e. those rated high will OC better than the Low, although it also depends on the sticks, might get a strong set of sticks that are 'L' that really OC well, same with CPUs, sometimes you get one that is more flexible than others when it comes to OCing

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X