Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32GB memory - only 16 recognized?

Hello,

I just built my new system, and am having problems with all the RAM being recognized.

The mobo is a Rampage IV Extreme, with 32GB of F3-17000CL11Q2 installed in all 8 slots (4x8). However, only 16gb is recognized in windows and at boot-up!

The BIOS is 1005, and all DIMMs show up in the POST. I've also shuffled them around, and it seems only the ones in banks A and B are counting towards total RAM.

Do I need to change BIOS settings to get the RAM recognized? If so, what should I be tweaking? (I'm not an expert at this -- I've left my BIOS settings at default for now)

Thanks!

Couple tings to check first, do you have the latest BIOS for the mobo, can check at the manufacturers web site, and possible more so, what version of Windows are you running? If it's Win7 64bit, the Home Premium flavor, it will only see/use 16GB.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hello,

The bios is the latest (1005) and I'm running win7 ultimate 64 bit.

What should I check next?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

Might want to pull the CPU and see if there are any bent pins or see if any thermal compound seeped under the CPU or into the socket. I'll try and do a little research on your mobo, I haven't worked with one of the R IV X's yet.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok - I will check, but I doubt it's my problem. I have a strong suspicion it has to do with the bios settings. They are at default, and I feel like this is performance ram that I just don't know how to configure :-/

Comment

Did you enable XMP? Is it a single set of DRAM or two sets mixed together (which may not work).

Tman

Comment

Hello,

It was purchased as this kit: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820231502

This is why I'm a bit bummed it's not working out of the box as it appears it should :-(

I have an xmp option in the bios that I turned on. It offers only one "profile", and I leave all the other settings it opens up to the defaults. I get the same results.

Should it work at all defaults or am I in way over my head? I just want 32 gb ram with my gskill product not even trying to over clock yet :-(

Thank you for your your help so far! Looking forward to your reply.

Comment

If the BIOS is written correctly (and in some instances I've see with 32 and 64 GB sets, it's not) it should read the XMP profile and set the sticks to 11-11-11-30, 2T and 1.6 volts, it should also adjust the advanced timings for you and OC the CPU if that is required to run the freq of the sticks. Also, what CPU are you running? May want to check with ASUS. The Z series was designed specifically for the X79 chipset, but many of the manufacturers are still tuning the BIOS....don't think they anticipated people jumping in and wanting 32/64GB kits

Tman

Comment

Hello,

So I put the BIOS into XMP mode:
                  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/ramtimings.JPG

As you can see the timings are as you say they should be, except they are "2N" instead of "2T" (not sure if that matters). The voltage seems OK (1.6-1.25). I'm not sure if it adjusted anything else or OC'ed the CPU (which to answer your question is an Intel 3930K).

Is there any way of getting support directly from GSKILL for this? I did pay quite a bit for this RAM

I will also post to the ASUS support forum and let you know if they come up with anything.

Thank you!

Comment

The 'N' and 'T' designators are interchangeable, used to be Intel used T and AMD used N, anymore it seems to be at the whim of whoever writes the BIOS. Will drop the GSkill folks a line to check this thread when they get back from the Holiday weekend (believe it will be Tues. And would appreciate any info you get from ASUS, Saw a post on another board of the same thing happening with the mobo and I believe it was Kingston DRAM

Tman

Comment

BIOS ver 1005

If your total memory have only 16GB, Try re-install all module.

Comment

Hello Wales,

Are you using the smame GKILL RAM that I'm reporting problems with? Pls see these screenshots - should be the same as your suggestion, but as you can see still no dice:

XMP mode enabled: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/XMP.BMP

Timings seem OK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/Timings.BMP

CPU VCCSA: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/Voltage.BMP

All DIMMs report POST: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/DIMM%20POST.BMP

Total memory is still 16GB: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8053884/Total%20mem.BMP

Thank you!

Comment

Hello Tradesman,

Thank you for forwarding my issue to GSKILL support! Please PM me if you need any additional information to make contact with them.

All the best

Comment

Am hoping they will pop in today, but not positive if it's a working day for them, what with it being the 'official' New Years Holiday

Tman

Comment

Hello!

I'm pleased to report that the problem is solved.

I think that through my moving of the DIMMS around, I must have unseated one.

Everything works great now, thanks to the recommendations on this forum.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X