Change of Plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Plans

Hi guys, I could use a bit of direction. I have read a LOT, but am going brain dead.

Initially, I was going with a 2700k/Maximus Extreme, Sapphire 6950 Toxic X2 overcloxked of course. I finally decided on the Sniper F3-12800CL7D...I read everything I could find and liked the idea of the low latencies. I thought I could overclock it also.

I went ahead and bought a Rampage board and am going to go for the 3930k...So, now I want a 16gb kit and want the highest frequency/lowest latency I can find. I wanted to go the black, but can live with red. May possibly upgrade to 32gb later.

So, any help with this would be appreciated.

Might look at the 2133 Snipers at CL9, NewEgg has the 16GB kit at $159.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231510

Comment

I saw that kit, but how will that compare performance wise? Plus, is the 1.65v OK for that processor? I need to check that out, I was all set to go Sandybridge and changed my mind at the last minute. So, at the moment I have both boards and NO CPU.

I can't order from Tiger, Newegg or Amazon at the moment, none in stock...

Thanks for the assist...

ford1

Comment

Good call IntelGuy!

been looking at those myself, I'm running 16GB Snipers of the 1866/CL9 flavor and love them, they'll run 2133 at a loose CL10 or tight CL11. So will prob upgrade here in the next week or so.

ford1

To roughly answer your question the sticks you have at 1600/CL7 roughly can run at 1866 w/ CL8/9 (loose 8, tight 9) and might run 2133 at about CL10 (prob stable at 1.68 to 1.7), but will be on the warmer side of what I prefer. The Sniper 2133/CL9 will out perform either what you or I currently have and run cooler, and yes 1.65 is perfectly safe, it will requiere a decent OC to run at 2133, maybe 4.4 or higher, which is no problem w/ your CPU, it'll run 4.8 easy on air w/ a decent aftermarket cooler.
        Last edited by Tradesman; 12-29-2011, 10:22 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, finally was able to pic up the 2133 Sniper Kit X2 for 32GB...thanks for the recommendation, now I need a damn CPU and I will be ready to roll...

Comment

I'd be happy to take them to play till the CPU gets there

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'll bet you would...but then I would be jealous

Comment

Oh, was just thinking of grab a leash and off on a short walk to AZ, and then......oops, turned an ankle, have to stay here for a while!

Think I'll be following your lead shortly, am holding off a bit to see if they make some 4x8GB Snipers sets....

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking about that also, but I needed something now...Of course since this morning I now see the Coolermaster Cosmos II is out on the 23rd...I keep upgrading and I don't even have the thing together yet

So, I have to pack up and send the Silverstone Fortress FT02 B-W back...I just Had to have that case. One of these days I will get this thing put together. So, now I am waiting on the 3930K and the Cosmos II. I think I am fighting off the urge to get one of the new GPU's...at least today

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No problem, I'm constantly upgrading my own systems, until they basically can't be upgrades much more and then passing them on to family members (at times it works out very well), my Mom plays some games and does email and browses the net, she has a Q6600 @3.6, 8GB along with a Q9650 w/8GB @4 GHz, so when I need a system or additional systems for a project, I have some good ones available, then I keep a few boxes around for loaners.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X