F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL memtest problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL memtest problem

I purchased a set of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL as a kit and have used it for almost 2 years. I recently purchased a second set of the same kit F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL both purchased from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277. After receiving the second set I installed them next to the set I had and had no issues at first. After a few hours I started getting lockups and blue screens. I had run Memtest86 on each stick finding that one of my old sticks had errors and one of the new sticks had errors as well. I did receive an RMA and have shipped the sticks to be replaced.

I have rerun the tests on the 2 remaining sticks as a single and both passed all 5 runs of Memtest86. I re-installed both sticks and rerun Memtest86 once more and at this time the memory errors start appearing. I have run Memtest for windows with no errors. Is it possible that the memory sticks have issues with each other? Windows runs fine and i have had no issues while inside of windows. How can I fix this or should i worry about this?

My system Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3200 with Corsair H70 watercooler
    Asus M4A785T-M with newest bios
    G-Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL @ 1600 9-9-9-24 1.5v
    Raid 0 Running Windows 7 64bit
    4 other storage HDDs
    Pioneer DVD-/+ DL Writer
    BFG GTX260 MAXCORE
    Corsair GS700 watt PSU

I have tried different settings and all seem to work fine in windows but still error if the 2 sticks are run together in Memtest86.
    I have also went to the forum and was going to post this question there but it will not let me post yet. As stated they test out fine as a solo chip but error in Memtest86 as a pair. I have them run in dual channel and have also separated them to run in different banks as single channel with the same results. I have tried the following settings to try to figure this out:

9-9-9-24 1.5v
    8-8-8-25 1.5v
    9-9-9-25 1.5v

I have read on the forum to raise the CPU/NB up to 1.20 from 1.10 but there is no setting for CPU/NB volts only a multiplier. Any ideas? Thanks <-- I figured this out but no help.

Update: I used Memtest86 v4.0a on all these tests. I have retested using Memtest86 v3.5 and it kick out so many errors i had to stop it. Run Memtest86+ and it run successfully through 5 runs of tests. Could this be a software error instead of the memory? Maybe the software doesnt support my MB well? starting to wonder if the RMA memory was bad after all.
    Last edited by Tazzyez; 12-23-2011, 04:16 PM.
    Asus M4A785T-M
    AMD 955 BE @ 3.7ghz stock volts
    Corsair H60 Watercooler
    8GB 1600 G-skill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 1.55v
    Pioneer 215 DVD DL Writer
    2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
    500GB Seagate Storage
    1.5TB Seagate Storage
    2.0TB Seagate Storage
    BFG GTX260 OC Maxcore 55 on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Awaiting Retirement
    PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
    Corsair GS700 PSU

Best to test with the latest version 4.20 and want to test a single stick at a time, running more than one can cause errors. More importantly on to your sticks, mixing sets with any mobo/CPU combo can be problematic, they might play together, they might not. Generally this can easily be adjusted with minor voltage adjustments (i.e. raising DRAM and/or MC voltage), but,,,yes there's a but...your problem may be a little worse, on the good side you are running two sticks at 1600 with a 955, congrats!, many have problems, on the downside while most 955s have trouble running 1600 at all, far fewer can run 4 sticks at 1600 because of the weak MC (Memory Controller)...you can ttry raising the DRAM and or MC voltage (believe on your mobo, instead of CPU/NB it's labeled as CPUVDD or something like that. Think though, with 4 sticks, best bet might be to drop to 1333 and try running 8-8-8-24, 2N

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, thanks for the reply. I had no idea that the 955 had issues but I have not had any problems with the first kit and decided to add another kit. Guess maybe I should have just ordered an 8gb kit and may do so later if I continue to have problems. When i received the second kit I did test each stick with both programs and over 100 errors so I ask for RMA which I mailed today. I have tested both remaining sticks one at a time and they have both passed with no errors on both Memtest86 4.0a and Memtest86+ 4.2. I know both programs were written by different people so i try to use both. The problem is that the Memtest86 4.0a without the + shows errors with both sticks installed and the one with the + does not. I believe my setting are correct and I have no windows issues at all. Just strange that one passes and the other does not. Here are screens of my bios.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/img0182gd.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/img0183in.jpg/

RAM v1.5
      Last edited by Tazzyez; 12-23-2011, 05:33 PM.
      Asus M4A785T-M
      Corsair H60 Watercooler
      2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
      500GB Seagate Storage
      1.5TB Seagate Storage
      2.0TB Seagate Storage
      PNY GTX550 TI XLR8 Enthusiast Edition on a 42" HDTV HDMI <-Testing-So far not impressed...
      Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Might have gotten a bad stick or two, it happens, not often, but it's weird two bad in a 2 stick set., saw it happen once a few years back. Anyway let us know how things go.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks I'll update once my sticks come back. BTW it was not 2 sticks in one kit but one of my 2 year old sticks started to error and one from my new kit. So it wasn't a rare fluke of both being bad just bad timing. Thanks
          Asus M4A785T-M
          Corsair H60 Watercooler
          2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
          500GB Seagate Storage
          1.5TB Seagate Storage
          2.0TB Seagate Storage
          Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

As said it happens, doesn't make for a good Xmas though, we'll be looking for you

Tman

Comment

ok i done some searching based on the AMD 955 BE chip and found a thread showing a person that had his running at 3.8ghz. I tried his settings all but the speed and passed memtest with flying colors. Someone pls tell me if these are ok or if one is to high.

Cpu Ratio 18.5
              FSB 200
              PCIE 100
              CPU/NB frequency 2400
              HT Link Speed 2400
              CPU Volts 1.425v
              CPU/NB volts 1.3v
              Asus M4A785T-M
              Corsair H60 Watercooler
              2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
              500GB Seagate Storage
              1.5TB Seagate Storage
              2.0TB Seagate Storage
              Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Looks OK to me

Tman

Comment

Ok ill start using my thread instead of the other I almost hihjacked.(sorry) Everything is finally stable at current settings.

955 @ 3.2ghz 200x16 volts at 1.4v Temps 29idle 49load
                  RAM @ 1600 9-9-9-24 volts at 1.55
                  CPU/NB 1.3v

Tested Prime and OCCT for over an hour each all stable. Memtest+ 5 tests passed. So I am happy now. Now to OC the CPU. Does anyone think that these settings will be able to remain stable while trying to OC the CPU minus a bump in CPU volts? This is a BE CPU and i can use the multiplier for the OC.
                  Asus M4A785T-M
                  Corsair H60 Watercooler
                  2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                  500GB Seagate Storage
                  1.5TB Seagate Storage
                  2.0TB Seagate Storage
                  Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

The DRAM should remain stable (jot down your current BIOS settings for fallback), and will prob have to raise voltages as you OC (vCore and maybe CPU/NB)

Tman

Comment

Ok thx I'll mess with it soon I tried stock volts on CPU and made it to 3.7ghz but at 3.8 it blue screens.
                      Asus M4A785T-M
                      Corsair H60 Watercooler
                      2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                      500GB Seagate Storage
                      1.5TB Seagate Storage
                      2.0TB Seagate Storage
                      Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Then the CPU prob needs the vCore voltage raised...just a bit

Tman

Comment

Received my RMA replacement today will be installing in a little bit. Wish me luck no more problems. Will not be changing bios at all just installing and testing.
                          Asus M4A785T-M
                          Corsair H60 Watercooler
                          2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                          500GB Seagate Storage
                          1.5TB Seagate Storage
                          2.0TB Seagate Storage
                          Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

3 runs of memtest and passed "woohoo" now onto prime stress.
                            Asus M4A785T-M
                            Corsair H60 Watercooler
                            2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                            500GB Seagate Storage
                            1.5TB Seagate Storage
                            2.0TB Seagate Storage
                            Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              Then the CPU prob needs the vCore voltage raised...just a bit
                              Once I do some further testing to make sure all is stable I'll write down bios settings for future reference and make an attempt at OC CPU higher than 3.7ghz which is the current speed and so far all is stable running prime.
                              Asus M4A785T-M
                              Corsair H60 Watercooler
                              2x 300GB Seagate Raid 0
                              500GB Seagate Storage
                              1.5TB Seagate Storage
                              2.0TB Seagate Storage
                              Corsair GS700 PSU

Comment

Working...
                              X