Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (Two kits in one PC?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD (Two kits in one PC?)

Would I have any issues running two kits of F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD on the same motherboard? Will I still be able to achieve 2133Mhz with 4 DIMM? I have an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe with just ONE of these kits right now.

Thanks folks!

It's best to have a single set of four sticks that have been tested to work together, and that XMP is set up for....that being said, you can always try to sets together, but there's no guarantee they'll play nice and while that can often be managed with a little extra DRAM and or MC voltage, again there's no guarantee...some might also come from you and your patience level to test different combos of voltage settings...then again, it's possible they will pop right in and be fine....I've had sets do that, but generally it takes a little testing and tweaking with voltage........and there are times two sets just refuse to play nice at rated speed and you may have to fall back to 2000 or whatever. It's sort of a crap shoot...we
    ll be around to try and help if you try

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      It's best to have a single set of four sticks that have been tested to work together, and that XMP is set up for....that being said, you can always try to sets together, but there's no guarantee they'll play nice and while that can often be managed with a little extra DRAM and or MC voltage, again there's no guarantee...some might also come from you and your patience level to test different combos of voltage settings...then again, it's possible they will pop right in and be fine....I've had sets do that, but generally it takes a little testing and tweaking with voltage........and there are times two sets just refuse to play nice at rated speed and you may have to fall back to 2000 or whatever. It's sort of a crap shoot...we
      ll be around to try and help if you try
      That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. A bit frustrating in that I don't think there is a 16GB kit with same specs & performance, otherwise I would have gotten it in the first place. So it will come down to whether or not I feel like purchasing a 2nd 8GB kit and playing around with the timings. As you say, there are no guarantees.

Thanks for taking a moment of your time to respond, most appreciated.

Comment

Have you looked at the Snipers, F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR, CL9/1.65? They would match up well with your mobo. There's also the Ripjaws Z, F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH, theough they are XMP1.3 as opposed to your mobos XMP 1.2, so would have to set the sticks manually opposed to simply using XMP

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH and F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR

The Ripjaws Z F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH are actually quad channel DIMMs for Intel X79 platform so they wouldn't be an option. My Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/GEN3 only supports dual channel DIMMs, if I'm not mistaken.

As for the F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR, CL9/1.65, they do look like an option to consider ... but note quite as fast right, looking at those timings? Possibly might not matter.

What stinks is not even a month ago I paid $179.99 for the F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD, and suddenly the price is down to $99.99! Was totally gutted to see this. It'd be a loss to sell them off and pickup the F3-17000CL9Q-16GBSR kit for another $179.99. I could just take a chance on a 2nd F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD and see how it works out. This was my first G.Skill purchase and I was pretty thrilled with the results so far!

Comment

I know how it goes, that happens to me all the time, I've bought sticks a number of times and then the next day or a couple days later, BOOM! they either go on a good sale or the price drops or I get a coupon from the Egg or someplace for 10 or 15% off on DRAM, it can drive you crazy.....The Snipers I'm running in my P67 were $130 a set (1866 2x4GB), dropped to $100 a set and I snagged them there with a 20% off on each set (along with some others for upgrades, inventory and a couple new builds, and about a month later wer down to $50 (been that price for a while now).

Tman

Comment

Happened to me last week ;-(

oh wait, happened to me this week too. haha

you just cant help it, but as long as the product you got is top notch, it doesnt really matter in the end.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

F3-17000cl9d-8gbxld

I did end up getting another F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD kit. So both kits are very happy running side by side for a total of 16GB @ 2133! Just popped them in and no additional tweaking was necessary. Running rock solid!

Comment

Great! Glad to hear it! Got the DRAM, what comes next?

Tman

Comment

Working...
                  X