No announcement yet.

1866 sniper ram hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So which slots did you put the ram in? If i load defualts what should I turn off and what should i leave on? Sorry but if I dont have to get new ram I would be very happy. You are still using the 1866 ram right? did you have to change that ram timings after you set it to profile 1? which bios are you using? Do you think you might be able to send me some screens of your settings. Here is my email. reknyard@comcast.net thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by reknyard View Post
      So which slots did you put the ram in? If i load defualts what should I turn off and what should i leave on? Sorry but if I dont have to get new ram I would be very happy. You are still using the 1866 ram right? did you have to change that ram timings after you set it to profile 1? which bios are you using? Do you think you might be able to send me some screens of your settings. Here is my email. reknyard@comcast.net thanks in advance.
      I have one chip in the socket farthest from the CPU, and one in the socket that is second closest to the CPU. I don't think I had to change anything from default, other than setting EOCP to Profile 1. I might be able to get some screen shots in a bit if you need them.

Still running at 1866 right now, no issues yet.

Comment

Some screens would be a HUGH help just to make sure my stuff is right. Thanks again.

Comment

I have to say this is the worst ram I have every bought. It wont run for crap. Just really bad performance even dumbed down to 1600.

Comment

If at 1600 might try 8-9-8-28 and play from there, think it's really more the platform and the weak MC than the sticks, I'm playing with my 1866 Snipers (2 sets 16 GB) now, and have been running them at 2133 all day at 10-11-10-30 from native 9-10-9-28.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

On almost every motherboard these days, slots 2 and 4 (from the CPU), are the initial slots. Gone are the days of 1 and 3, so keep this in mind! Applies to both Intel and AMD, the furthest slots will have less stress, so much easier to OC.

I'm starting to wonder why modern memory has to be manually configured to run at full speed, if it is truly rated for it. Seems like it would be programmed into the SPD, and the board would just pick it up. But pretty much every system I've built since the DDR2/DDR3 era has needed manual settings, and half of the time they don't go as high as advertised. But Ironically I had some G.Skill DDR2 800 that ran at 1066 without too much trouble.
              Performance DRAM computer memory has been the same ever since DDR2-800. There are standards (JEDEC), that are created so that any performance memory that fits into a system is able to POST. This is how DDR3-2000 is able to work in a Dell, but of course not at DDR3-2000. Unfortunately, DRAM is a complementary piece of hardware, unlike graphics cards that are pre-overclocked and you simply have to plug them in. To reach a DRAM frequency above standard, you must overclock. Every single CPU and CPU type will affect the memory, so unfortunately there is no way for DDR3-1866+ to be plug and play. A slight voltage difference can cause a problem, so every system has to be tweaked for high frequency.

But as hardware (CPU) gets better, like the new Sandybridge, it allows for high performance DRAM profiles (EPP, XMP, DOCP, etc.). With these profiles enabled, a simple click can allow the system to support high DRAM frequency. For example, DDR3-2133 on a Sandybridge platform, all you need to do is set DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage. With this ability, it is much easier to configure settings and achieve high performance. This is why AMD users have so many problems, in addition to the basic DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage, other changes are necessary as well, so that's why profiles aren't available for AMD just yet. As Maxxarcade proved, they are slowly moving that way, which is why the new hex cores are capable of DDR3-1866 by enabling the DRAM performance profile.

With any G.Skill memory kit, they will operate to specification, guaranteed. Many times when they don't, it is simply due to user error and inability to input the proper settings. That's why we are here, and we do our best to provide guides and assistance so you can experience what you paid for.

The newer AMD CPUs better support DDR3-1600 and DDR3-1866, but in some cases, voltage tweaks are still necessary. In any case, you should always expect to tweak and have patience when building your own performance computer. Otherwise, do a lot of reading before attempting, or use standard parts so everything is plug and play.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

OK i understand what you are saying, however when you have been trying for sometime as well as others doing the same and not finding ONE person with firm positive results it makes one wonder. I have tried everything I can find posted on here and that has not worked. I have tried a ton of things myself and no luck. I do say thanks to all the peeps trying to help get this ram working. I just ran memtest on it and put in the stock timings on the ram and over a 2 hour period I know excessive but it had over 85 thousands errors with it. So I restarted it and in 10 mins I had 7500 errors. So unless someone can enlighten me on clock settings, NB voltage and anything else I need to set, I am going to have to give up on this ram. For the record I have done overclocking in the past with memory and CPU's. This is the first time I have had a problem. Maybe I just dont get it or I am not seeing what I am doing wrong. So please enlighten me!! Show me the magic settings. I thank you all in advance.

Comment

OK i understand what you are saying, however when you have been trying for sometime as well as others doing the same and not finding ONE person with firm positive results it makes one wonder. I have tried everything I can find posted on here and that has not worked. I have tried a ton of things myself and no luck. I do say thanks to all the peeps trying to help get this ram working. I just ran memtest on it and put in the stock timings on the ram and over a 2 hour period I know excessive but it had over 85 thousands errors with it. So I restarted it and in 10 mins I had 7500 errors. So unless someone can enlighten me on clock settings, NB voltage and anything else I need to set, I am going to have to give up on this ram. For the record I have done overclocking in the past with memory and CPU's. This is the first time I have had a problem. Maybe I just dont get it or I am not seeing what I am doing wrong. So please enlighten me!! Show me the magic settings. I thank you all in advance.
                  I can't remember if you mentioned it or not, but does it run OK at 1600? Or with only 1 stick installed? It's possible that your RAM is indeed bad though. You might want to pick up some new stuff, send these back for replacement, and then either use the replacements or sell them.

Comment

I have ordered some corsair to replace these which will be going back. Thanks for the help.

Comment

I have ordered some corsair to replace these which will be going back. Thanks for the help.
                      Let me know how the new stuff works out. What kit did you buy?

Comment

Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

Comment

Sounds like you just had a bad kit, that's quite a bit of errors. When a situation like that happens, you just need to test each at the rated spec to see if one may be bad causing problems.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X