Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my memory wrongly labeled, or what? (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my memory wrongly labeled, or what? (F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL)

Hi there!

I haved two memory packs from G.Skill:

- G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 2x2GB (July 2011)
    - G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 2x2GB (November 2011)

I'm testing both of them on a Gigabyte FXA990-UD3. The July pack is auto-detected and configured at @800, but I have problems with the November pack.

Here it is the info I got from Aida 64. I have one module of each pack mounted on my MB:

July RAM:
    Campo Valor
    Propiedades del m?dulo de memoria
    Nombre del m?dulo G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL
    N?mero de serie Ninguno/a
    Tama?o del m?dulo 2 GB (1 rank, 8 banks)
    Tipo de m?dulo Unbuffered DIMM
    Tipo de memoria DDR3 SDRAM
    Velocidad de la memoria DDR3-1600 (800 MHz)
    Ancho de bus del m?dulo 64 bit
    Voltaje del m?dulo 1.5 V
    M?todo de detecci?n de errores Ninguno/a
    Fabricante DRAM G Skill

Tiempos de Memoria
    @ 800 MHz 9-9-9-28 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 37-128-5-12-6-6 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 711 MHz 8-8-8-25 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 33-114-5-11-6-6 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 622 MHz 7-7-7-22 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 29-100-4-10-5-5 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Extreme Memory Profile
    Nombre del perfil Enthusiast (Certified)
    Voltaje 1.50 V

Caracter?sticas del m?dulo de memoria
    Auto Self Refresh No soportado
    Extended Temperature Range Soportado
    Extended Temperature Refresh Rate No soportado
    On-Die Thermal Sensor Readout No soportado

Fabricante del m?dulo de memoria
    Nombre de la empresa G.Skill International Enterprise
    Informaci?n del producto http://www.gskill.com/products.php

November RAM:
    Campo Valor
    Propiedades del m?dulo de memoria
    Nombre del m?dulo G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL
    N?mero de serie Ninguno/a
    Tama?o del m?dulo 2 GB (2 ranks, 8 banks)
    Tipo de m?dulo Unbuffered DIMM
    Tipo de memoria DDR3 SDRAM
    Velocidad de la memoria DDR3-1333 (667 MHz)
    Ancho de bus del m?dulo 64 bit
    Voltaje del m?dulo 1.5 V
    M?todo de detecci?n de errores Ninguno/a
    Fabricante DRAM G Skill

Tiempos de Memoria
    @ 609 MHz 8-8-8-22 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 31-68-4-10-5-5 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 533 MHz 7-7-7-20 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 27-59-4-8-4-4 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
    @ 457 MHz 6-6-6-17 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 23-51-3-7-4-4 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

Extreme Memory Profile
    Nombre del perfil Enthusiast (Certified)
    Voltaje 1.50 V

Caracter?sticas del m?dulo de memoria
    Auto Self Refresh No soportado
    Extended Temperature Range Soportado
    Extended Temperature Refresh Rate No soportado
    On-Die Thermal Sensor Readout No soportado

Fabricante del m?dulo de memoria
    Nombre de la empresa G.Skill International Enterprise
    Informaci?n del producto http://www.gskill.com/products.php

If I configure the November pack manually to run at 1600, the system becomes unstable on about 10 minutes of intense use... I'm about to RMA this new RAM, but just wanted to know if this is a known issue or just a bad pack...

Sorry about my english level, I'm trying to do my best.

Best regards!

Sort of wondering if the e/re-tailer may have taken a set back and resold where a customer had changed the labels, besides the different settings showing the first indicates 1rank/8 banks and the second 2 ranks/8 banks...Might check with where you purchased or contact rma@gskill.com

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Very weird, send them in for RMA.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

I am having a very similar problem in my MSI 870A-G54 board. I bought 2 packs of the 8 GB Ripjaws 1600 kits (so 4 x 4 GB = 16 GB total) from Newegg a couple of weeks ago. I just got around to setting up the system last night, and it is showing 4 x 2 GB sticks (so 8 GB total). BIOS shows this, Windows 7 x64 shows this, and CPU-Z all shows the same thing. CPU-Z shows each one of the sticks to be "G Skill F3-12800CL9-2GBRL" which is a 2 GB part number.

Now, I think it might be more likely that there was some RAM mislabeled at the factory. The odds that I got not one but 2 packs of Ripjaws with the stickers switched seems highly unlikely to me. When I get home from work I am going to mess around with BIOS settings some to see if this helps, because I don't want to RMA unless I absolutely have to.

Comment

What model # set did you get, if towards the end of the number it shows D-4GBRL that indicates (D) dual/two sticks - (4GB) which is the total of the set or 2x2GB and (RL) which is the series designator.....an 8GB set will have 'D-8GBRL' in the model # of the set

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Motherboard: GA-Z68M-D2H

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (3.3ghz 3.8 Turbo boost)

Thanks so much for posting this!! I think I'm having a similar problem!

I'm fairly new to building/working on computers, so I didn't realize there was a problem right away.

I bought a new DIY kit from NewEgg just about a month ago that included 2 sticks of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM.

When I looked up what both sticks were doing in CPU-Z, it had said next to bandwidth. PC3-10666(667mhz) which means dual channel they're running @ 1333mhz, right? But the sticker on the chips themself said they were 12800 1600mhz. I set to 1600mhz using the XMP option on my mobo and everything seemed to be working okay until I was running something heavy (SWTOR Beta) when I would blue screen out. After this happened 2 or 3 times I figured I was just doing something wrong and set them back to 1333. Went back to playing the SWTOR Beta with no further issues thru out.

I wanted to boost to 8GB so I ordered another set on NewEgg that arrived last night(the same G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM) I installed them and in CPU-Z these properly display the max bandwidth on the chip is PC3-12800(800mhz)

I tried reversing the pairs (1->3 and 2->4) just to make sure something wasn't up with my mobo. The problem continued with the same 2 sticks. I sent the 2 sticks that displayed PC-3 10666(667mhz) back to NewEgg this morning under RMA, hopefully I'll get the correct 2 sticks this time!

Thanks again for the info!
            Last edited by PBB; 12-09-2011, 10:02 AM. Reason: For a little more clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
              What model # set did you get, if towards the end of the number it shows D-4GBRL that indicates (D) dual/two sticks - (4GB) which is the total of the set or 2x2GB and (RL) which is the series designator.....an 8GB set will have 'D-8GBRL' in the model # of the set
              I may have gotten the part number wrong (I am at work, so I don't have that info handy) but I distinctly remember that each stick showed "2GB" near the end of the part number, where I was expecting "4GB" near the end of each part number (although from what you are telling me, it may actually be "8GB"). When I get home and can check, I will report back. FWIW, this is the first problem I have ever had with G.Skill RAM, and I have owned several sets in the past. I'm hoping it will just be a BIOS setting I can adjust, although I've heard that G.Skill is excellent about RMA if the need arises.

Comment

PBB
                You had one of the older sets and one of the newer sets of the same model - the older (original) sets were programmed to boot to 1333 as a defualt which is why you saw that in the MAX BANDWIDTH slot in CPU-Z the newer models have a default of 1600 (which is all it is, a default boot setting, it has nothing to do with the chips, or the actual model # or anything else, it's simply a default setting programmed to JEDEC standards in the event of a crash, or you lose the CMOS, the sticks have a boot setting)

DOUGLASBARBIN

If indeed it's the set ending in 'D-4GBRL' each individual stick will show 2GB as, being a two stick set each stick is 2GB.....the (D-4GB) is dual (2) = 4GB or 2x2GB, a Q-8GB model indicates 4 sticks of 2GB or 4x2, a D-8GB indicates dual (2) total 8 or 2x4GB

Tman

Comment

PBB
                  You had one of the older sets and one of the newer sets of the same model - the older (original) sets were programmed to boot to 1333 as a defualt which is why you saw that in the MAX BANDWIDTH slot in CPU-Z the newer models have a default of 1600 (which is all it is, a default boot setting, it has nothing to do with the chips, or the actual model # or anything else, it's simply a default setting programmed to JEDEC standards in the event of a crash, or you lose the CMOS, the sticks have a boot setting)
                  Well I feel silly now... thanks for the info!

Comment

No need to feel that way, as mobos/CPUs increase in power the DRAM has to keep up, wasn't long ago that the default boot on most mobos was 1066, then it moved to 1333 and is now moving towards 1600, though most are still at 1333. One of the big things though is the misconception people get, from what I consider the mislabeling in CPU-Z of the label (MAX BANDWIDTH) which is extremely deceptive, if you look through the forums here and other hardware forums, the popular MYTH is that it actually looks at the memory chips used and is displaying that they are 1333 chips or whatever

Tman

Comment

CPU-Z shows the Part Number to be "F3-12800CL9-2GBRL"

Comment

douglasbarbin

My question is what is the model # of the set of DRAM you bought, what's printed on the package...what CPU-Z is showing is the part of the INDIVIDUAL stick which is a 2GB STICK, could have been from a single stick package, a 2 stick package 2x2GB, package of 3 3x2GB or even a quad 4x2GB set.....If the model # on the package is F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL the you should have 2 sticks of 2GB, if it's F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL then it's 4 sticks of 2GB, if it's F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL THEN it's 2 sticks of 4GB each

Tman

Comment

douglasbarbin

My question is what is the model # of the set of DRAM you bought, what's printed on the package...what CPU-Z is showing is the part of the INDIVIDUAL stick which is a 2GB STICK, could have been from a single stick package, a 2 stick package 2x2GB, package of 3 3x2GB or even a quad 4x2GB set.....If the model # on the package is F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL the you should have 2 sticks of 2GB, if it's F3-12800CL9Q-8GBRL then it's 4 sticks of 2GB, if it's F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL THEN it's 2 sticks of 4GB each
                          Looks like it's a couple of 4 GB kits. I totally goofed when I purchased it, and bought the wrong thing. Newegg order history confirms that I did, in fact, buy a pair of 4 GB kits. Looks like I'll just have to bite the bullet on this one. The good news is, it works perfectly @ 1600 MHz and 1.5v. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Comment

No problem, happens all the time, Glad it's working well! Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Comment

About my problem, I've just sent the RAM to the store for RMA.

On 2 days, I had a new pack on my house. Label says December 2011, and specs are equal to my July 2011 memory

Don't know what happened with the November pack, I'll just enjoy the new one

Comment

Working...
                              X