Gateway SX2803 memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway SX2803 memory

I recently tried upgrading my new Gateway SWX2803 desktop with 4 GB (2x2GB)
    of DDR3-1333 RAM, using two F3-10666CL9D-4GNS modules

After installing one, both, adding, swapping memory modules with the existing 2x2GB that came with the unit, all I hear is a constant beep on power up. remove the G.Skill chips and everything is fine.

I verified that the SX2803 does take DDR3-1333 modules. The only difference I can see is that according to the Gateway website the existing modules are 10600 not 10666.

Can someone confirm or deny that the F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS modules should be compatible?
    Or does the 10666 make the difference.

The memory modules that came with the machine are marked
    GDDR3-1333
    GU512303EP0202
    KN2GB0H00913757CAEM800

Thanks
    Ray

Do you have the latest BIOS for the mobo? I'd check that first, then try installing only the new sticks and setting up the base timings, CR and DRAM voltage manually. The mobo may be set up to only run specific sticks i.e. they try to tie you to them for upgrades. I bring this up as the sticks are labeled 'GDDR3-1333) and generally GDDR3 is a designator for GRAPHICS DRAM or here they may be using it as a designator for DRAM made specifically for 'G ateway'......as in Kingston branded DRAM (which I'm guessing here) which is designed to work specifically with the BIOS settings in off the shelf systems put out by a specific manufacturer, Dell still does this at times and Compaq used to do it all the time.....I'd suggest contacting Gateway direct

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I installed two sets of F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT in my Gateway DX4850-27EU and it runs great

Comment

I have tried contacting Gateway, but they are no help and just direct me to the specs in the documentation.

The mobo seems to be stamped MB DIG43L and the bios from the startup page says P01-B2 dated 03/24/2010. I believe it is an AMI bios V2.66. But I cannot seem to pull up the bios dump page that I can on other machines.

When I check the Gateway driver site, they show no upgrade for the bios. This is not a technician friendly machine. I guess GW really doesnt want people tweeking it.

Is there utility software can I use to inspect the memory settings, the bios and motherboard? and what do I use to set the memory configuration?

Thanks

Comment

Looks like they haven't done anything to upgrade the system, it all appears to be stock from a couple years back........may well be as you suggest, they don't want people messing with it or they just don't support it. GSKill should be back in on Monday, they might have some tech sheets on it or something

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Heard back (again) from Gateway. They were absolutely no help (again) referring me to a "for fee" support company. But I did discover that the existing memory modules were DDR3-1333 RAM (532 Mhz 7-7-7 voltage)

I still cannot find a utility to adjust the mobo/bios voltages. An in any case can you mix memory using different voltages?

Comment

If they are 532, then they are running 1064, not 1333 - did that come from CPU-Z - if so check the memory tab to find what they are actually running at, if they are running at anything other than 1333, I'd be on the horn to Gateway again.

As far as mixing speeds, CLs and voltages, yes it can be done...but your not going to be able to do it to any degree with a Gateway box they way they limit the BIOS

Tman

Comment

Using CPU-Z ver 1.59
                Memory Tab:
                Type = DDR3, Dual Channel, 2096 MB
                Timings = Freq 532.0 MHz, 1.2 FSB, 7-7-7-20-60

SPD Tab:
                DDR3, 2048 MBytes, Max BW PC3-10700 (667 Mhz), Part GU12303EP0202
                Timing Tables -
                JEDEC #1 (457 Mhz, 6-6-6-14-23 1.5v)
                JEDEC #2 (533 Mhz, 7-7-7-20-27 1.5v)
                JEDEC #3 (609 Mhz, 8-8-9-22-30 1.5v)
                JEDEC #4 (685 Mhz, 9-9-9-25-34 1.5v)

Based on what you said, Im not going to be able to adjust the BIOS.
                So I think I will need to RMA this memory for something like
                [ Ripjaws ] F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH or
                (assuming GW is yanking my chain with the DDR3-1333/PC3-10600 spec),
                would shifting to a PCS-8500 be safer?

Comment

If they advertise it as 1333 and it's only running 1064, then they should be able to explain why.

Comment

Try 10600 modules to see if they work better.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X