Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility question

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ATI Radeon HD 4250 onboard

CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Windows 7 Home 64 bit

Existing memory:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I just purchased some more RAM online:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

I made sure to purchase as close to the same as possible, however, I noticed after purchase that the new RAM is "X Series"... slight difference. I also saw a post on these forums about making the RAM work with an AMD CPU - I had no issues before but I'm getting paranoid about my recent purchase.

I was just wondering if there is a "heads up" anyone could send my way before I receive the RAM? The first two sticks are running flawlessly. My mobo can support up to 16GB so I don't expect any issues. I'm trying to overcompensate on my RAM to make up for a slightly lackluster videocard (onboard). The game I play runs fine but I want to optimize it a little bit - make it run a tad faster. I would assume the RAM is compatible with my older RAM - is it?

The DRAM may or may not work with your other set, mixing sets, even of the same exact model can be problematic...with AMD, even more so, due to the weak MC (memory controller)....sometimes you can get the 2 sets to play together by increasing DRAM voltage + .05 to +.1 and/or adding voltage to the MC through the CPU/NB Voltage....also don't really think adding DRAM will speed up your games much if any, most use less than 2GB

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you for your response.
      The RAM installed and seems to be running just fine.

I was discussing my setup with somebody who suggested that because 12GB is overkill, I would be better off pulling out the 4GB and just running the 8. He said this is because I will be running on 2 modules instead of 4. I can see some logic in this but wanted to check in with the experts here

thanks again,
      Abema

Comment

As long as they are playing well together and no problems, no real need to....might even look into using the additional 4 as a RAMDrive, having the additional 4 won't really improve performance much unless you are heavy into photo work, video editing, CAD, GIS, that type of thing....or heavy multi-tasking.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X