Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick ? about RAM

Just wondering if this ram....

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Will Work in the Intel x58 chip set. If not what ram do I need

Thanks in Advance

Greg

Ripjaws should be fine w/ the X58

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks I was getting worried, I bought the ram from newegg and there description doesn't say anything about the x58 chip set. Here is the description on their web site.

Reaching the optimal balance between the sheer speed of DDR3 and low latency, this G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 memory kit is rated at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 to provide ample computing capability to the Intel P67/Z68/P55 and AMD 790 Series/890 Series platforms.

So, just wanted to make sure this will work for me..... (the x58)

Thanks.
      Last edited by gmoney1996; 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Most go with the triple channel on X58, but the 2 stick dual channel will work, the same sticks are offered in triple channel (F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL, with the 'T-12', indicating t=Triple and 12 = 12GB vs 8GB)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231358

so depends if you want 8 or 12, believe it about a $20-25 difference

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you very much..
          One more quick ?..
          I bought 2x of the ram for 16gb.
          Will this still work O.K?
          should I be able to plug in and go? Or will I have to configure anything?

Thanks Again

Comment

Probably have to manually set the base timings, DRAM voltage, and maybe CR since it's two sets. Will want the latest BIOS and if any problems can generally add + .05 to the DRAM voltage to stabilize...if additional problems then will want to add a bit to the memory controller, which is prob the QPI/VTT on your mobo. If you do have problems give a shout and include CPU and model of mobo

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I'll Probably be back with some more questions. I appreciate all the answers/help.

Greg

Comment

No problem, we'll keep an eye out 4 U!

Tman

Comment

Hello all...

I have a related question. I'm building a x58 system (want to take advantage of triple-channel memory) and was trying to figure out if the memory is built specifically for dual- or triple-channel use. Or is that built into the MB and it doesn't matter what memory you use as long as you install it correctly (two or four sticks for dual-channel and three or six sticks for triple-channel)?

The reason I'm asking is that the memory I'm looking at costs $70 for the triple-channel version (3x4gb = 12gb) while the dual-channel version costs $25 (2x4gb =8gb).

Is there a difference between buying two triple channel kits (total = $140) or three dual-channel kits (total = $75). Both get me to 24gb but one is about half the cost. It seems like a no-brainer cost wise, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best use out of my memory.

Thanks,

-Zork

Comment

A few things to think about here, first your BEST bet to get 24GB running is a 24GB kit, that way the sticks are tested an set to run together. ANY time you mix sets even of the same model you can run into problems, not to mention XMP won't work with mixed sets as the advanced timings can differ from a 2 to 3 to 4 to 6 to 8 sticks set, so they have to be set up manually which can (but not always) be a real pain. Also, while some sticks may be physically the same, the programming in the SPD will be to optimize the sticks for the intended package i.e. a two stick set will be programmed to optimize DUAL channel vs a 3 stick set for TRI channel, and now we throw in 4 stick sets that are optimized for Quad channel (as in the Ripjaws Z line) as opposed to 4 stick sets that are optimized for the older DUAL channel running 4 instead of 2 sticks,,,,,,,,,,,most all are interchangeable and will work, but for best performance, it's best to get what is best for the CPU/mobo combo

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I appreciate it.

-Zork

Comment

No problem, let us know what you decide and how it goes

Tman

Comment

Good Stuff

...Pulled the old RAM out, put in the new RAM, things seem to be all good... this couldn't have been easier. Is there a way I can make sure everything is working correctly?

Thanks to G. Skill for a great product

Greg's computer
                          Last edited by gmoney1996; 11-30-2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Oh yea...in case anyone was wondering
                            I have a Dell Studio XPS435mt
                            Last edited by gmoney1996; 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Gmoney1006

Glad to hear it!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X