Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RMA single stick?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a memory kit from NewEgg and believe I have a bad stick in the bunch.

Details:

- F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL Memory Kit 4096MBx4
    - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard latest firmware F8 I believe
    - Intel i7 2700K CPU

Problem:

- memory shows up perfectly when two or three chips installed
    - put in the 4th chip and turn system on and it powers on for about 3 seconds then shuts off, powers on again then goes into endless loop of cycling on and off never getting to post

Questions:

- should I RMA the whole set back to NewEgg?
    - should I RMA the suspected single bad stick to G.Skill?
    - system is currently running stable with 12Gb (3 sticks installed) and would prefer not to have to send all back

Thanks for any response!

Best bet would prob be to RMA back through the Egg, that way they'll get you a full set back that have been tested to work together, doing a single stick you take a chance (especially at this freq) that it won't want ot play with the others. Have you checked each stick w/ memtest? It's possible the problem is with voltages or possibly even the BIOS isn't updated to take the 4 high end sticks. Might check with GigaByte and see if they have any input or could test the combo to see what voltages needed.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

Sorry for the dumb question but I have never used mem test before. How would I go about testing to see if the stick is bad if I can't even get the system to boot when I hit the power switch? When I add the 4th stick in the computer turns on for like 3 seconds then off and goes into an endless cycle. Does memtest allow me to hotswap the memory while the system is on to run the test like one at a time to test each stick?

The odd thing was I RMA'ed the entire set to NewEgg taking a picture of the back of the package when I sent it and it looks to me like they sent me the exact same bunch of 4 sticks back but I can't prove it because I didn't write the individual serial numbers down on each stick.

I'm just trying to determine if I have a bad stick or bad configuration...so frustrating that 3 sticks at 12GB run fine and when I add the 4th one in the system won't even get to the bios.

Appreciate all of the help!

Comment

You can download and get the instructions from here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Best to run 1 stick at a time, actual running time can take hours, I normally let each stick run for about an hour or two depending on how much time I have, then shut down the system, change sticks and start again

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I might have answered my own question. I put every stick one at a time in slot 1 and booted the system. Every single stick booted all the way into windows except one stick which wouldn't even post, and system kept cycling on and off.

Gotta be a bad stick in the bunch right???

Comment

Sounds like it, will want to contact rma@gskillusa.com or rma@gskill.com (world), there's info available on RMAs here:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X