Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ on Studio XPS 13 Laptop

I bought this kit for my laptop.

Whenever I use my laptop with both sticks, the laptop works fine for a wide ranging period of time from a few hours to a little less than a day until it completely freezes. When it freezes the screen fills up with artifacts and is completely unresponsive. Sometimes the screen flickers, sometimes it goes black with artifacts where my panels used to be. Any audio playing may loop for a few seconds before turning into static then silence. This happens regardless of OS (Windows and Linux) and there is no error message. From what I can tell, the freezes seem random.

The interesting thing is when I use either stick with one of my old 2GB sticks, there are no stability issues at all. I've ran memtest with both sticks in the laptop at the same time and it passed 3 times. I noticed that the timings for the ram according to CPU-Z are at 7-7-7-20, but I thought it shouldn't be an issue. There are basically no relevant BIOS options as this is a laptop.

I don't think it is defective RAM, but I can't tell if something is wrong with my computer or the RAM is incompatible. Maybe the motherboard cannot supply enough power?

My Laptop: http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/studio-xps-13/pd

CPU : Core 2 Duo p8600
    GPU: Geforce 9400M G
    Chipset: NVIDIA? MCP79MX
    Last edited by mgzp; 11-25-2011, 10:15 PM.

Do you have the latest BIOS? Does the BIOS on the laptop allow for making any changes to the DRAM? and have you checked with Dell on compatibility?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have the latest BIOS but it has no options for tweaking the RAM. I will check with Dell with compatibility (should have done so earlier) and report the results.

Comment

We'll be waiting

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm out of warranty so I couldn't get phone support and their forums were not very helpful either.

In any case, these sticks were listed as compatible with my laptop, there is not much specs listed.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...ynote_irrank=0

The OEM number led me to discover some equivalent RAM

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16820139357

Would any of this information point to a compatibility issue?

Comment

Going to have to leave this up to GSkill when they get back or if another member has similar sticks, I do very little with laptops (for the very reasons you gave, most have little to no options to do anything in the BIOS)..
            .........sorry

Tman

Comment

Try this kit instead:

F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

TOSHIBA Satellite A665

Bought same kit for TOSHIBA Satellite A665 PSAW3U-04301C

Boots fine but when wakes from sleep - CPU fan goes high speed then system shuts off.
                Tried removing 1 module then next same result. Put old 2GB in no problem.
                removed video driver and reloaded same result.
                Ran memtest for about 2 hours no errors.

Any suggestions? Specs below

Thanks

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
                TOSHIBA Satellite A665 PSAW3U-04301C
                Processor a Main Circuit Board b
                1.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7 Q 720
                64 kilobyte primary memory cache
                256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
                6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
                64-bit ready
                Multi-core (4 total)
                Hyper-threaded (8 total)
                Board: TOSHIBA NWQAA 1.00
                Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
                BIOS: TOSHIBA 2.20 09/14/11

Comment

Send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better. Do you have the latest BIOS for the laptop?

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Bios yes
                    BIOS: TOSHIBA 2.20 09/14/11

Do you think it is THIS kit or you think I need to drop down to the 8500?

Thanks

Comment

i7 should support DDR3-1333, but in the end it depends on the Toshiba BIOS.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X