F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM / ASUS P8Z68-V problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM / ASUS P8Z68-V problem

I've been troubleshooting my recently upgraded computer for the last several days and think that I have found a problem with one of my G.Skill DIMMs. Here's what is going on.

My system:

ASUS P8Z68-V (0902 bios), i5-25000
    2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM
    MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozer II,
    AData 64GB SSD,
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB
    Hitachi 1TB
    CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    Corsair AX750 PSU

I noticed instability problems when playing games (DDO mostly) not long after I assembled all the components - bluescreen errors or my video driver would crash. I started off with a Corsair TX650 PSU that made an odd high-pitched noise when games would start or when in certain video modes. I considered it suspect and replaced it first. My box was a lot quieter afterward, but the instability issues remained.

Next I suspected the motherboard because I tried to run memtest86+ and it just locked up, even when using a different set of memory (Corsair Vengeance LP from a local Frys). The motherboard replacement seemed like it fixed the issue for about 2 hours, then the problem started up again.

At this point I figured it had to be memory. I downloaded the latest memtest86+ off memtest.org and this time it worked. I ran it all night long and never found a problem. Next I tried Prime95 in blended mode. With that I can duplicate the problem very quickly.

When running Prime95/blend with just DIMM A installed (in slot A2, which ASUS recommends), my box is stable. I ran Prime95 for several hours and was able to browse the web and play a video at the same time.

When running Prime95/blend with just DIMM B installed (in either slot A2 or B2), I start having problems very quickly. Either a bluescreen or application errors - prime95 workers will return errors and stop, Chrome will show the "aw snap" screen, explorer windows won't open, etc.

Last night I decided to run memtest86+ on individual DIMMs. With DIMM A installed, it ran for 3 hours with no error at all. With DIMM B installed, I ran it all night long. No errors in 17 passes. Definitely not what I expected there.

What do you guys think? Seems like a memory problem to me, but I don't get why memtest86+ can't find an error.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Well memtest is extremely good but not perfect, what I'd suggest though, is ensure you have the latest BIOS, enable XMP, select the profile for 1600 and try that....if still having problems, raise DRAM voltage + .05 and try that...if still problems may want to look into an RMA

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Got the latest bios already and using XMP. I tried raising voltage like you said. Still have the same problem with the one DIMM.

I checked with Frys about a RMA. Can't do it because I don't have the original packaging anymore. Looks like I have to work through you guys. I hope your RMA policy isn't so strict.

Usually I'm good about keeping the original packaging. I definitely learned a lesson here.

Comment

Fairly easy really, I'd send an email today if possible to rma@gskillusa.com and see if you can get a RMA# (they are off weekends). Hmm, the accent sort of sounds like Oregon so, once they receive the sticks, you'll prob have the new ones within a week maybe. Info on the process can be found here:

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php
        Last edited by Tradesman; 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks. I just sent the form.

You are correct. I am in Oregon (not originally from here though).

What do you mean by an accent? Do we Oregonians type alike? You've got me very curious now. Please tell.

Comment

After being in computers for 30+ years and having folks describe problems you just sort of get a feel for a general area they might be from, some are more pronounced than others, so I like to throw out a guess every now and then.

Oh also check your PMs, just dropped you one, am thinking a possible city area, starts with a T

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X