Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-14900cl9q-16gbxl

Hello
    I have an Asrock 970 Extreme4 mobo, AMD FX-8120 @3.1 stock speed, and F3-14900CL9Q-16GBXL memory. I have read the little manual for OC the memory for AMD but alas to no avail. I have gotten my CPU to a stable 3.6 OC but never been able to achieve the 1866 mark for my memory so I keep my CPU @ 3.1 and memory @ 1600 with 8 8 8 24 @ 1.5v and everything runs stable and cool so I'm kind of happy with that. My problem is my curious side gets the better of me and needs to know...
    As this is my HTPC it needs to be stable and relatively cool but I do have after market cooling for that aspect of it. I play video games, watch movies, and surf the web via my GTX580 and
    60" Mits. I am willing to OC my CPU but not really interested in keeping it at 3.6 if it isn't necessary to have it that high, so what is the minimum OC needed for achieving 1866 speed?
    When I tried to get 1866 speeds I manually set the timings and even tried to bump the voltage up but only in small increments and never even hit the 1.6 mark cuz I didn't want to fry them. So what is a safe voltage for these?
    I guess the main question is since I have them running @ 1600 w/ CL 8 8 8 24 @ 1.5v and stable would I actually see a significant performance gain by OC everything and running @ 1866 w/ CL 9 10 9 28 @ ?v ? The stick says 1.5v but yet to see run @ stated speed with stock voltage.
    I'm by no means an OC guru so please speak slowly

Best regards

Check the sticks and their CR (Command Rate) may be defaulting to 1N (or 1T), will want 2N or 2T. Also will probably need to raise the CPU/NB voltage more so than DRAM voltage (DRAM maybe 1.5) not positive with your mobo. Wish I could offer more, but on the Dozers, I picked up an 8150 and had some trouble at 1866 w/ 16GB, plus the overall performance of the CPU and OCing, for me anyway, didn't justify much more time on it, the Intel 2500K overall (performance, OC, temp, memory management, etc) is just to much better and the 2500K costs less.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

When I manually set the timings I had them set to 2T first then tried @ 1T when it didn't work the first time. I did indeed bump my CPU-NB voltage up in small increments to no avail and to no booting whatsoever.
      I am happy with my setup that I have. It's fast, stable, and cool. I read in the forum here the gains between 1600 and 2000 were substantial. Would the pursuit of 1866 be trivial at best? Sure it would show up in benchmarks but truth of it is I don't benchmark. But... I am willing to squeeze every drop of life out of my PC as long as it stays Fast, Stable, and Cool. I have yet to have a BSOD with this setup and if getting 1866 causes that then I am willing to stick with 1600 and play with dropping the CL down to the 7ish range if possible which in the end might be as good or at least almost equivalent to 1866 @ CL 9 from my limited understanding of it. Hopefully someone from within the forum readers with a somewhat similar setup or someone from GSkill Tech can help me out with what my better option would be. The truth also is for what I paid for 16 gig of memory I am not at all dismayed with running them at 1600 and would still recommend them simply based on the value of them
      Thank you for the response.

Comment

You don't necessarily have to OC the CPU frequency, but more importantly the CPU-NB Frequency. This is the communication between the CPU memory controller and memory, so an overclock can dramatically enhance performance.

1.65V is fine for the memory, only if it actually needs it. Otherwise, the modules will have to regulate.

Do you have the latest BIOS? They should work @ DDR3-1866 without a problem, but you can also try slightly higher voltage, then lower the timings a little more for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried the nb frequency @ 3x 933=2800. 2799 wasn't an option. Should I try higher? I want to say I set CPU frequency to 233, I read it in the forum somewhere that's what it should be set to for 1866, or did I confuse myself with that one? Wouldn't be the first time I do have the latest bios and 1866 is an option for selecting in the settings under DRAM settings but when I select it I don't even post. So I'm assuming I am definitely configuring something wrong but I don't know what. should I try to OC the memory past 1866 and try 2000 with the thinking that it's a glitch with AMD and 1866? Are they capable of that? I'm certainly open to suggestions
          Last edited by Gunite; 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM. Reason: Facts

Comment

May have missed it, but have you run memtest on each stick individually to ensure the sticks are good, if not try that, if you have checked w/ memtest can you post your BIOS settings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

First and foremost sorry for my copy and paste below... Long winded and ugly compared to the PDF.
              How do I get my bios settings here with out adding an attachment? Not allowed to add one as I might give you guys cooties I guess :-P

I have done Memtest86+ on each and every stick. What a long and tedious process that was No errors came up.
              I went back through the manual and it basically states that I can either eat the blue pill or the white one. My memory slots are blue and white...

2.3 Installation of Memory Modules (DIMM)
              This motherboard provides four 240-pin DDR3 (Double Data Rate 3) DIMM slots,
              and supports Dual Channel Memory Technology. For dual channel conf guration,
              you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type)
              DDR3 DIMM pair in the slots of the same color. In other words, you have to install
              identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel A (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1; Blue
              slots; see p.12 No.7) or identical DDR3 DIMM pair in Dual Channel B (DDR3_
              A2 and DDR3_B2; White slots; see p.12 No.8), so that Dual Channel Memory
              Technology can be activated. This motherboard also allows you to install four DDR3
              DIMMs for dual channel conf guration, and please install identical DDR3 DIMMs in
              all four slots. You may refer to the Dual Channel Memory Conf guration Table below.
              Dual Channel Memory Confi gurations
              DDR3_A1 DDR3_A2 DDR3_B1 DDR3_B2
              (Blue Slot) (White Slot) (Blue Slot) (White Slot)
              (1) Populated - Populated -
              (2) - Populated - Populated
              (3)* Populated Populated Populated Populated
              * For the conf guration (3), please install identical DDR3 DIMMs in all four
              slots.
              1. Please install the memory module into the white slot (DDR3_A2
              and DDR3_B2) for the f rst priority.
              2. If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
              and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots of the
              same color. In other words, install them either in the set of blue
              slots (DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1), or in the set of white slots (DDR3_
              A2 and DDR3_B2).
              3. If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
              in the DDR3 DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to activate
              the Dual Channel Memory Technology.
              4. If a pair of memory modules is NOT installed in the same Dual
              Channel, for example, installing a pair of memory modules in
              DDR3_A1 and DDR3_A2, it is unable to activate the Dual Channel
              Memory Technology .
              5. It is not allowed to install a DDR or DDR2 memory module into
              DDR3 slot; otherwise, this motherboard and DIMM may be damaged.
              6. If you adopt DDR3 2000/1866/1800/1600 memory modules on this
              motherboard, it is recommended to install them on DDR3_A2 and
              DDR3_B2 slots.

Which it then works in 1866 in either of the setups but not concurrently. And with out any OC on my part I might add, although I assume my mobo is doing it automatically. Both trying to run simultaneously come up with code 54... and unspecified memory error

So asking for a recommendation from you guys... Do I bite the bullet and use 8gb @ 1866 or use all 16gb @ 1600 Still playing with the CL on that one.
              Last edited by Gunite; 11-13-2011, 05:12 AM. Reason: facts

Comment

Could you post your BIOS settings so we can take a look. Also at 1866 have you tried 10-10-9-28? Not ideal but might lower stress on the MC enough to be stable (and hope they update the BIOS again soon to handle larger amounts of DRAM)

Tman

Comment

http://www.pctreiber.net/forum/amd_m...l_15275.0.html

The second to last post gives clarity on the matter. It states that the AMD Bulldozer will not support more than one set of 1866 ram/ 2 sticks @ 1866. It has a nice little chart as well. Oh well. Have a great day and thank you for your efforts
                  Last edited by Gunite; 11-16-2011, 02:22 AM.

Comment

COuld possibly drop to 1600 and tighten timings

Tman

Comment

The F3-14900cl9q-16gbxl was designed for Intel Z68 and P67 platform, it says so right on the package. For my Phenom Black 955 build I had to raise CPU-NB voltage 0.1v just to get 4GB (2x2GB) to post @ DDR3-1600 speeds. If you can get 16GB running @ 1600 speeds id be happy and leave it at that, the real-world differences are not going to be much at all.

Comment

It is also compatible with Intel P55 and AMD lLano platforms if you want to get technical about it. It says so in the description on Newegg. Granted I don't have a Llano chip but rather a Zambezi. You can get just about any memory, not saying all, to work on any platform. it just varies as to what speed, latency, and voltage you throw at it as long as it is same DDR(insert number here) to DDR(insert number here) based mobo... My issue as it turns out is a processor limitation, that I wasn't aware of nor would have even imagined it to be the case at all, of only being able to use 2 dimms when using 1866 speeds and greater. I'm truly not saddened by that fact as I understand that in real world 1600 and 1866 isn't going to make much of a difference to me or even anybody else. My pursuit of this topic was because it was more of an enigma as to why I could only get two dimms working at 1866 and not all four.
                        I will start to fiddle with my timings and voltage and will post here so if anybody kinda sorta has the same predicament it might be useful to them.
                        As of right now it is 16gb(4x4gb) @ DDR3-1600 CL8 8 8 24 @1.50v

Again thank you to all for the input and help

Comment

Very true and it's one of the biggest problems out there, while most mobos advertise that the mobo can run 4 or6 (or whatever number of sticks), they don't tell you what CPU you need to run 4, it's especially true w/ AMD that has CPU that can run4 sticks (generally at lower speeds), or they can only run 1 sticks per channel, and at various speeds, whereas most Intel can run 4 sticks and few are really limited by freq/speed, it can be a real pain

Tman

Comment

It's official... All four sticks are working @ DDR3-1866. Asrock released a bios update for my mobo with a profile1 selection. I assume that is like XMP or SPD readings of the memory. Anyway selecting profile1 isn't enough because I had to manually input the rest of the timings to get them to boot. So i must confess I am rather happy that that issue is resolved. BTW my Windows Experience Index,it's a good generalized real world assessment, only marginally went up from a 7.6 to a 7.7 for my memory but we all knew in the real world there isn't much of a difference between a low cas 1600 and a high cas 1866
                            Last edited by Gunite; 12-03-2011, 06:30 AM. Reason: facts

Comment

Glad to hear it, Enjoy!

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X