F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM and ASRock P67 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM and ASRock P67 Extreme4

So, I've had (built) this computer now since january. Since then I've had random blue screen issues. At one point I pinpointed it was a bad memory stick which I RMA'd and received a pair that ran through memtest fine. I now have 4 of these (8GB) in my system. Still, I randomly will get fits of blue screen errors.

It'll work for a while no issue then a program will crash and another then blue. Or I'll come back to my computer which had restarted. Often the solution is to swap memory sticks and it'll run fine for a while longer. Weird.

currently 4 sticks (2 matching sets) of
    F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
    ASRock P67 Extreme 4
    Intel core i5 2500K (stock not overclocked)

My bios is up to date. It doesn't readily read my sticks correctly and will place them at 9-9-9. I change this and set profile 1, saved. My settings are the ones recommended 7-8-7-24 2n. 1.605v (can't seem to change that to 1.600 it;s not an option)

CPU-Z shows Command Rate 2T and my settings. FSBRAM 1:6
    DRAM Frequency 798.3

I noticed this model isn't listed on my motherboard supported page. Is there a erason or just so many sticks to test? These ones would be
    F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH

Other BIOS settings are:
    Write Recovery Time (tWR) 12
    Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 88
    RAS to RAS Delay (tRRD) 5
    Write to Read Delay (tWTR) 6
    Read to Precharge (tRTP) 6
    Four Activate Window (tFAW) 30

The Latest blue screen event this morning was
    BCCode: 4e
    BCP1: 0000000000000099
    BCP2: 000000000019B1A7
    BCP3: 0000000000000002
    BCP4: 000000000018FCA6
    os version: 6_1_7601
    Service pack 1.0
    product 256_1

windows pro 7
    It's not something I can continually reproduce it just seems to happen in fits.
    Got these in january from newegg and don't belieev they'll let me exchange if that would be the solution.
    Would that be the problem? Incompatible memory? Should I be using the ones listed above? If so does GSkill offer an exchange program of any sort?
    Or is this a bios issue?

Thanks for the help it's much appreciated.

Try this:

Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) 128
    RAS to RAS Delay (tRRD) 6
    Write to Read Delay (tWTR) 7
    Read to Precharge (tRTP) 7

Make sure each kit is installed in the same color slots.

A possible issue is that the two kits are not fully compatible with each other. If that is the case, we can do an exchange for memory that can. Don't worry, we will get to the end of this and your system will be fast and stable.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

thanks, I inputted the settings and so far it's stable. I still need to run an extensive memtest I suppose. Is that all I can do to really test the memory?

Comment

MemTest, and Prime95 are generally good indicators of good sticks and stability

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

so, It's been a while and I have some problems still. Not sure where the problem is though.
          Memtest passes BUT
          occasionally I get TDR's with my video card crashing. Nothing is done to provoke this and can be just opening firefox and randomly while surfing the internet. Odd.
          So, I turn off computer and restart. Often issues occur with BSOD
          that is UNTIL I pull and reseat the RAM. It's always like that I have to reseat the ram.

The BIOS is up to date. I've updated, downgraded, updated again the graphics driver. Things tend to be stable for days or even a little over a week then bam! it happens.

I'm thinking it could be the ram. It's not listed as supported on my motherboard support list. XMP has never read these correctly and I've had to input the settings (which do remain once inputted)

I was thinking of getting a set listed on my board's compatible list:
          G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Is there a trade in program or do I need to just buy and hope to sell current ram to someone who would have a more compatible board?

It just keeps happening and is frustrating seeing that Memory Management BSOD.

Comment

Couple of things to try first, ASRock's BIOS doesn't always regulate voltage fully (I've got both the P67 Fatal1ty and the Z77 Extreme 4 so might try raising the DRAM voltage just + .02 or so (1.62) and see if that balances out, the sticks themselves should be fine w/ the mobo, but I know with the Fatal1TY I have run +.03 and the Extreme 4 I also have to run a hair high, I basically just set ASRock boards high now out of habit...Also keep an eye out on BIOS, may be a new version coming soon, should be one with updates for some of the 4GB sticks and especially 8GB sticks.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

ok so I increased to 1.620
              I ran memtest for 2 cycles and it passed so now it's a wait and see game again.

thank you for the quick response.

Comment

Not a problem, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

Ok, so the TDR errors I think was mostly my graphics card drivers as there is a lot of info about that and a lot of others having that issue. I downgraded my drivers to a firmware that shouldn't give those errors and it hasn't for a little over a week.

However, I turned my computer off last night after it had been on for about 6 days. Turned it on this morning, opened firefox and boom, Memory Management blue screen.

What the heck!?!?! This is why I keep my computer on because this tends to happen.

For me to get this to stop I'll have to pull the ram, blow with dry compressed air and then put the ram back in. It is sooooooooooooo annoying.

That's why I think it's the ram. The XMP profiles don't automatically load in my bios I had to put the settings in myself, blue screens and the fixes are always reseating the memory which is why I think it's the memory.
                  BUT then memtest says it's fine the several times I have run it.

Can they be swapped out or something for a model set that is listed compatible for my motherboard? Like the ones I listed in post #5?

Thoughts ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Tman

Comment

I did up until yesterday evening.
                      A new version Just came out yesterday for the gen3 ivy bridge intel processors.
                      I run the sandybridge 2500k but I'll update that.

Comment

Let us know what happens

Tman

Comment

well it was interesting that I updated the BIOS to this newest version and my memory settings profiles were erased BUT it actually read the XMP profile for the ram. That was the first time it has done so.

I had reseated the ram already and the computer was running (had to download the bios using the computer) so I know the ram would work for a little while at the least. Now the wait. In a week if I restart do I get a blue screen? We'll find out.

Comment

Think they are there or almost there, don't have your exact mobo, but wait till you'll have 15-20 free minuttes and go ahead and boot it, at worse, if it loops at all should come back with only the DRAM freq changed back to 1333, reset that and add .05 to the DRAM voltage....but I think you'll be OK

Tman

Comment

I already have it on and the settings are all correct (as far as I know, right timings, voltage, 1600) but we'll see if it has stability.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X