[ RipjawsX ] F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM RAM on GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ RipjawsX ] F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM RAM on GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 mobo

No matter what settings I use, I can't seem to clock the RAM over 1726 MHz. I emailed support, and they gave me the following BIOS settings:
    -------------------
    First, for DDR3-2000, you need a CPU Host Frequency of 250.

250 x 8 (max memory multiplier) = DDR3-2000

CPU-NB Frequency needs to be 12X, 3000MHz

Set DRAM Frequency to x8.00, or DDR3-2000

Set DRAM Timings tCL - tRCD - tRP - tRAS (as stated on your memory) - which would be (9-11-10-28)

Set DRAM Voltage (as stated on your memory) - which is 1.65V
    -------------------
    I did all of the above, except, even when raising the CPU-NB to the highest level (1.5V when the default is 1.0V), I cannot get the CPU-NB frequency to be stable at 3000MHz (~2800MHz is my limit). Are there other values I should be tweaking?

As a note, the RAM is limited to 1726MHz no matter if the CPU-NB frequency is at 2000MHz, if the FSB>300MHz, or if my CPU is clocked from 3.4GHz(stock) to 4.0GHz. Both sticks (individually tested) show the same results, so I don't think that there is a defect causing the problem. My motherboard is rated for up to 2000MHz (OC) RAM and has presets for up to 2400MHz, so I don't believe that that is the issue either. Perhaps someone could give me some settings to try out?

EDIT: I took a second look at the specs for my motherboard and noticed that it recommended an AM3+ cpu for clocking RAM above 1866MHz. Since my CPU is the AMD Phenom II 965 (3.4 x4), is there a cap to my RAM speed? In this case, should I still expect to clock the RAM up to 1866 at the least?
    Last edited by slmpika; 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM.

Actually 1726 is pretty good for a 965. You might get higher but it will take more DRAM voltage and higher CPU/NB voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ok, I understand now. I didn't know that the CPU limited the RAM, I thought it to be the opposite. After doing some more research, I decided to run memtest86+, and found that one stick of RAM is bad. I will RMA the RAM and hopefully receive a better stick.
      -------------------------------------------------------
      Final BIOS settings (for those interested):

CPU Frequency (FSB): 300
      Northbridge Frequency: x9 = 2700
      CPU Clock Ratio: x14 = 4200
      HT Link: x6 = 1800
      Memory Clock: x5.33 = 1599

DRAM voltage: 1.65
      NB Voltage: 1.005
      CPU NB VID: +0.175 = 1.2750
      CPU Voltage: +0.175 = 1.5750
      All other voltages normal

Command Timing: 2T
      Timing: 7-8-7-19
      TwTr Command Delay: 4T
      Write Recovery Time: 8T
      Precharge Time: 4T
      Row Cycle Time: 26T
      RAS to RAS delay: 4T

------------------------------------------------------

I would look into an AM3+ processor (maybe the fx-4100), but I've heard that it can be slower for single-core operations. Would the RAM boost be worth a little less processing power? I tweaked the timings, and have found that this RAM performs faster than my previous RAM.

Comment

It will help a little, but to really run fast DRAM and get the most from it, best bet would be Intel, and at the moment prob the 2500K, I just got done testing the new DullDozer FX-8150 against my 2500K box with both at 3.6 GHz and it left the Dozer behind and continued to through OCing at 3.8, 4.0 4.2, 4.4 and after that the Dozer dropped back even more, I did get it to 4.7, but very hot, way to hot. I run my 2500K at over 4.9 24/7.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Memory controllers are embedded in the CPU now, so the CPU directly affects memory performance. Older platforms had the memory controller on the motherboard, so it was different time and way to overclock.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X