F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL with MSI 790FX-GD70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL with MSI 790FX-GD70

Hey guys. While I consider myself moderately tech savvy, in actuality I probably only really know just enough to be dangerous. I'll try to provide as much information as possible:

I've been running this system for the past 2 years with no problems (built myself):

MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo
    AMD Phenom II x2 550
    4 sticks (8GB) of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
    Sapphire 4870

I just purchased:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
    4 sticks (16GB) of F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I currently have Bios V1.3 on my board (old), and will need to update it before installing the CPU. I have the newest version downloaded, but am not 100% sure about how to update it, other than the fact that if I screw up my computer is a brick. The extracted file has a readme, howto word doc, an executable, and a .1h0 file. Will running the executable in windows update successfully? I really don't want to have to make a boot disc and do it the other way, but will if there is no other option.

Also, anyone know if updating bios to the newest version (1.X) well fix any problems with the memory I'm having? Before swapping out the CPUs I tried installing the RAM just to confirm it would work. With all 4 sticks in (16GB) the computer will not boot. Taking all but 1 stick out lets me enter BIOS, but with little experience I wasn't sure what to change, and even with just 1 stick the computer freezes up after just a couple minutes.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Jbs

You'd have to go to great pains to get your old CPU to run the 1600 sticks (and then prob only at 1333....best bet is to follow the directions and get the BIOS updated (it's not nearly as scary as it used to be) and yes in additions to updates for CPUs, there are no doubt tons of DRAM updates (which is generally true of all BIOS updates.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, I updated Bios, and installed the new RAM and everything was working fine. I got windows to load with 16GB of the memory, did some web surfing and stuff like that.

This morning I installed the new CPU and booted to bios to check temps and make sure I didn't screw up. Bios recognizes 16GB of G.skill RAM and shows "Adjusted DRAM Frequency (MHz) at 1600. (I made no changes to any BIOS settings).

However, with the new CPU windows can't load. It displays the windows loading logo, and right after it disappears I get BSOD. Happened 3 times so far, at first I just noticed the BSOD, second time I thought I saw something saying Memory_Initialization or something along those lines. 3rd time I was looking for the error message and didn't see anything.

System_Service_Exception was the message it gave me the 4th time after it auto-ran Startup Repair since I didn't tell it to start windows normally.

If I go into Bios under Cell Menu > Memory-Z > DIMM1 Memory SPD Information

current settings are:

SDRAM Cycle Time: 1.250ns (1CLK)
      DRAM TCL: 13.125ns (11CLK)
      DRAM TRCD: 13.125 (11CLK)
      DRAM TRP: 13.125 (11CLK
      DRAM TRAS: 35.000ns (28CLK)
      DRAM TRC: 48.125ns (39CLK)
      DRAM TRFC: 160.000ns (128CLK)
      DRAM TWR: 15.000ns (12CLK)
      DRAM TWTR: 7.500ns (6CLK)
      DRAM TRRD: 6.000ns (5CLK)
      DRAM TRTP: 7.500ns (6CLK)

CPU:

http://shop.amd.com/US/_layouts/shop...X&region=us-en

mobo:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/790FX-.../?div=Overview

RAM:

F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
      http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=355

Comment

Leaving only 1 stick in DIMM 1 and it boots up fine.

I can never remember if I want to try running 2x sticks would I put the second (all 4 are identical) in DIMM 3 or DIMM 2?

Comment

Should be same color, the two slots furthest away from the CPU.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X