Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12800cl9-2gbxl and 12800cl9-2gbrl together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12800cl9-2gbxl and 12800cl9-2gbrl together?

Hi my system is an
    asus p8p67 deluxe
    i5 2500k cpu
    2x f3 12800cl9-2gbxl 1.5v (currently in slots A1-A2)
    2x f3 12800cl9-2gbrl 1.5v (currently in slots B1-B2)

I have a couple of questions, firstly my pc seems to be running fine with this setup at 1600 (in the bios post it says 8gb ram @ 1600) however when checking in CPU-Z under SPD the readout for the ram differs between the xl and rl. The xl is as expected saying max bandwidth pc3-12800h (800MHz) but the rl says PC3-10700 (667MHz). They also differ in the tRAS, tRC and Command Rate readouts but I'm not sure what they are.

I'm wondering if this is normal (I thought the only difference between the two types of ram were the heatsinks) and I was also wondering if there is a certain way to install the ram when using two different (but similar) types of ram.

Should I put the two sticks of same type in slots A2-B2 and the other two in A1-B1? (A2-B2 is the recommended layout for 2 sticks in dual mode).

Normally I wouldn't be too worried about this, but since installing this new ram I experienced an odd shut down (about a week later) where my computer would not power back on, I tested a few things (taking ram out and unplugging hdds) but when I pressed power fans would spin for less than a second and some motherboard lights would flash but then all go off. This could be unrelated (I thought it might be PSU related) but perhaps this is somehow related. After leaving the computer unplugged over night it has turned on again and seems to be working normally.

Thanks for any light you guys can shed on this situation.
    Last edited by XiaoLuo; 10-22-2011, 05:19 PM. Reason: added information about powerdown

The answer is yes, they will read different the RL is the older gen ripjaws, the Xl is the newer gen....and the sets are programmed different (and I believe use different Mem chips......as far as Max Bandwidth in the SPD tab, that is a very deceptive description...it is actually reading what the minimum default boot settings/freq/speed is......i.e. on a new build most mobos will default to 1333 or even 1600 (JEDEC) based DRAM speed/timings, so if your sticks were 2133 and only 2133, you'd never be able to boot, which is why they load these settings in the SPD

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the info, it's funny how computers can sometimes turn guys into hypercondriac mothers.

Comment

Yep, isn't it amazing...........and it changes almost every day

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X