Two sets of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sets of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

OK, I just installed a set of new NQ cards along with the old ones, so the system now has two sets of 2x2GB NQ cards for a total of 8GB RAM
    Windows seems to recognize that 8GB of RAM is available, but is using only 4GB of it
    The sticky on the top of the DDR3 board here says its because the XMP in the RAM is for a single set and not for two, so I should manually correct it at the BIOS level, but doesnt specify how, so I'm stuck.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:
    The BIOS is the latest available

Edit2:
    I've tried setting the memory to 9/9/9/24 and voltages
    I havent seen any changes so far.
    Currently the system is get to 1.6V.
    Last edited by jkih0021; 10-21-2011, 05:35 AM.

Are you running 32 or a 64 bit OS? Need a 64bit. If it is 64 bit, then make sure all the connectors on the sticks are clean and the sticks are firmly seated...this also can be caused by bent pins on CPU or in socket, and thermal compound on bottom of CPU/in socket

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just tried the using one stick at a time to see if any are defective, and kept getting rapid beeps, which the mobo manual said was bad RAM connection, and that I should try applying more force
      I did exactly that, and the rig is working perfectly now
      Apparently, the issue was that the new RAM was just not put in hard enough to begin with.
      Apparently, its a problem only rookies make (which might explain why no one thought of it).

Thanks for your reply though

Comment

That's what I meant by firmly seated - and no, not a problem only rookies make, some DIMM sockets are tighter than they actually should be, we had a problem with one manufacturer that had a slew of problems similar to what you just encountered across the board on their P67 line of mobos, to the point they changed their supplier that provided the DIMM sockets.....doesn't come up often but it does happen, normally if they lock in with the clips you are good to go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Interestingly, the problem came back
          Two of the sticks are not being used by the BIOS or Windows, although they both see that they are there.
          In Windows, it says 8GB physical RAM, 4GB available
          In BIOS, it says 4 sticks of 2GB RAM available, of which 2 are enabled.
          I've tried different combinations of sticks and slots, and came to a conclusion that two of the slots are broken (when trying to boot with only them being used, I couldnt get past post)
          The BIOS is set to XMP disabled, 9/9/9/24, DRAM 1.6V

Is this a mobo issue?
          Last edited by jkih0021; 10-21-2011, 11:41 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

Sounds like it, might check with your mobo manufacturer...another thought, what are you running? if AMD, some of there CPU's are limited to 1 stick per channel (2 total) of 1600....if that might be it, might try the sticks at 1333 8-8-8-24 1.5

Tman

Comment

Im running on a i5 760 on a Gigabyte board (GA-P55-USB3L)
              Last I checked, I cant change the DRAM frequency manually, although the BIOS does display it

Comment

Should be able to, might be a latch that ties CPU to DRAM

Tman

Comment

The problem is that Im not that knowledgeable in these matters, so I don't know what you just said;;;

Comment

Some mobos have a setting that directly ties the DRAM to the CPU speed (latch), on some it can be turned off so both can be set up independtly, others are tied to a latch and only allow one to change in set amounts, i.e. if your CPU is running 3.8GHz you may only be able to run 1600 DRAM at like 1422, 1600, or 1714 or some oddball numbers like that

Tman

Comment

There should be an option for System Memory Multiplier. Set that to 10X and that will make DDR3-1333.

Make sure each kit is installed in the same color slots.

It is possible the two kits do not match well to work in the same computer; very possible since the purchase dates were far apart. If that is the case, you will need to send them in for RMA so you can get two kits that can work in the same computer.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X