Have some questions about two ram kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have some questions about two ram kits

Hi, I'm in the market for a ram upgrade. I have an i7 920 @ 4ghz, and am running 6gb of ram at 1520mhz (1600 rated). My motherboard is an MSI Platinum SLI X58 (with most recent bios)

I've come across two potentially great ram kit solutions and had some questions about them.

RipjawsX F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXM and RipjawsX F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

One runs at 1.35v and another runs at 1.5v.

From reading another thread I know they are different chips, but rated similarly spec wise.

I have an X58 that is generally runs ram around 1.65v, so can I run these ram kits?

Are both of these kits operable at 1.65v?

I've seen the 1.5v version capable of oc'ing to 1866-2133 speeds, and it's even been said it's possible (not guaranteed of course) by your forum representatives posting in replies on newegg.

So another question would be, are the about equal in oc'ing potential? Does the 1.35v have better properties in this regard due to it's lower voltage and perhaps possibility to run them at 1.65v? Is perhaps the 1.35v the better choice versus 1.5v version for overclockers?

Again I have an X58 motherboard, so my board can easily handle 1.65v thus my motherboard standard is higher than the newer sandy bridge 1.5v standard. So would the 1.35v chips be overclockable for this 1.5v standard motherboards, but give even more room for x58 boards than can push 1.65v safely?

Thank You

The Ripjaws X set (1.5) should work fine and will generally OC well, the X 1.35 OCs well also but I'd prob not go higher than 1.5, possibly 1.55....but that's just me, GSkill should be in Tues and can provide more info on the low volt sticks, I seldom use them

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I will await

Comment

Hopefully they be in Wed, sorry can't offer more, I'm out here alot to help out and keep up with hardware, personally just don't get much call for low voltage as most of my clients look for high end builds and generally let me pick the sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

No problem.

I'm not planning on using it for low volts (the specified 1.35v), but perhaps it has a better sweet spot if it is capable of running at 1.65v like the 1.5v version is (and not necessarily 1.65v either). The need for a lower voltage is for the newer tech, but the older x58 can handle the higher volts no problem.

Thus a 1.35 gives room for these guys with the newer stuff room to overvolt their ram in those systems to achieve higher setting and not worry about their motherboard, but in an x58 it might give these people (and thus me) a little extra room to maneuver around. Perhaps same mhz, but tighter timings, or something like that. It's a shot in the dark, as these newer chips in the 1.35v might be constructed differently, and not capable of it. But if they are, it might turn out that these are good overclocking chips for the newer tech, and great overclocking chips for the x58 boards.

Don't know though, and perhaps it might not even run on X58 (the 1.35v). But my mb should handle 1.5v, and gives the option to go as low as 1.2v but just because it has it, doesn't mean it can actually do it lol.

Newegg is currently out (as of today) of the 1.35v kind now, but no doubt they'll be getting more in soon.

Of course it would also be nice to see these 1.35v chips in a professional review, but haven't been able to find one yet. Even newegg only has 3 reviews of this particular ram kit, so not much is out there about these things.

Comment

For a little better idea of the low voltage sets, though these are the newest (next gen), GSkill also has some low voltage Snipers (1.25) and could also check reviews on their ECO sets...they too are low voltage

Tman

Comment

Sorry for the untimely response.

I would not suggest any of those kits. To be honest, just stick with a triple channel or hex channel kit that is designed for your motherboard. There are kits just as good, so there is no reason to go with other type of kits that may be more tricky to configure.

Something like this would be a perfect fit:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231457

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

My motherboard supports triple channel with 3, 4, 5, or 6 sticks. I don't understand why I should stick with 3 or 6, when the motherboard supports the other.

Specifically page 22 of the manual states this.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/X58-Pl...l#/?div=Manual

I haven't heard of any real differences between the memory, why is x58 not listed as supported? It's the same specs except for lower voltage, but at the very least with the 1.5v one, people will usually overvolt them to 1.65 or such.

The one you suggested also costs twice as much for 4gb less. $6.50/gb vs. $16.66/GB is a big difference (and it's less total ram than I want).
                Last edited by Cardsfan88; 10-19-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Yes, it can work, but it is not designed to work that way. In addition, the memory profile is not designed for the X58 platform. The one I suggested costs more because it is a high performance kit.

Feel free to go with one of the quad channel kits, they can all work, so there is no real problem.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

gskill

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                    Yes, it can work, but it is not designed to work that way. In addition, the memory profile is not designed for the X58 platform. The one I suggested costs more because it is a high performance kit.

Feel free to go with one of the quad channel kits, they can all work, so there is no real problem.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Thank You for the answers

I've never used the xmp profile, as I planned on manually setting the normal basic timing settings, and letting auto take care of the rest. (even then I'm sure I could figure out the others if I needed to).

A baseball bat is designed for baseball, but makes a good car protector as well

So is that what you were trying to explain that the xmp profile might not work on it? But other than that it is good? Just not technically designed for it?

If so, then what would be better for overclocking (potential, not guaranteed of course). The 1.35v or the 1.5v? How have these kits been performing in those regards? Well the 1.5v I know can overclock to about 2133 if done right, and you get a good set, so more specifically, how are the 1.35v ones doing?

I guess you can forget how the x58 plays into it. How is the 1.35v version overclocking vs the 1.5v version on equal platforms? Is the 1.35v as good? Better? Worse? Have people noted getting up to 2133 mhz on the 1.35v version, or has it been topping out at a lower level like say 1800-ish mhz?

I'm not going to take them over 1.65v's mind you, and don't have a crazy liquid cooling ram solution or anything.

Thank you.

Comment

Yep, technicality. It's more like using a wooden baseball bat instead of a metal one. A metal one is better for protecting the car and softball, but baseball, you use wooden bats.

It's up to you, if you plan to manually OC, you can try the low voltage kit at a higher voltage. I have not tried to OC myself on that particular low voltage kit, so frankly I'm not too sure how well they compare.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

lol

I purchased the 1.35v version, newegg got them back in stock fast. I'm interested to see how these perform. Either way though, even just stock 1600mhz and 16gb will be good regardless of anything else. But it'll be fun to try.

Thank You

Comment

Great, keep us posted!

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                          X