Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F#12800CL9D-4GBRL with P55

Hello,

I have a P55-USB3 (REV-1) with an I7-860 and I have 2 sets of F12800(8gb in total). I have the latest bios which is F10 I believe.

The problem is this motherboard is not meant for 1600 so I have to enter the settings manually. I cannot seem to get a decent over clock going and I know I really need to overclock if I am going to use the 1600 setting.

I basically need the manual settings to run at 1600. I know it is 99924 and 1.5volts but I do not know any of the other settings. I also need some specific settings to overclock. I am new to overclocking intel and I really need some sopecifics if you guys don't mind.

I am not sure if this info is needed but here are my specs..

I7860 - aircooled with Titan Cooler
    p55-usb3(rev1)
    8gig Gskill RipJaws ddr3 1600
    HD5770
    Cooler Master Storm Case
    OCZ ModExtreme 700watt power Supply
    1.5 tb SeaGate Barracuda hard Drive
    Windows 7 Home Premium(64-Bit)

Thanks Guys,
    Webdevoman
    Last edited by webdevoman; 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM.

hi. don't know if you have come across this guide before but seems to be something you may be interested in. heavy reading in some places but has a section on ram o/c.

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-g...core-i3-i5-i7/

hope this can help. cheers,

Comment

Thank you. I have read this before. My main issue right now is getting the 1600 to work with the p55 when the p55 isn't set up for it. I guess I am looking for a starting point instead of having to try so many combinations of settings. I have already tried for so long. I actually had my system working well at 3.9. It was idling around 40degrees and under load it got up into the 60s but after a couple weeks it crashed and since then I have been unable to replicate this. This was actually using 1333.

I guess I will read the article again but G.Skill already has tons of configurations guides posted but none for a p55 with F12800.. If this was there I would be cool. lol

Thanks again for your reply. Something a bit more specific would be really awesome though. haha

Webdevoman

Comment

yeah, same prob. here with my GA-790XT-USB3 .

new mobo and/or cpu is what i have to do.

win7 on my ocz ssd helps though.

sorry i can't be of more help.

cheers.

Comment

Thats ok, the article was a great tip. I only sort of scanned through it quickly the first time so maybe a more thorough reading will help.

I just set my bios to 1600 and I have a very slight over clock now but in SIW it is still showing my memory as 1333. I am not sure if it will always say this or not. It is showing the hardware as 1333.. When I first saw this I actually thought I had the wrong memory.

I would really like to upgrade to a better motherboard and then get another 8 gigs of memory.

I do lots of database work and this set up just isn't cutting it. I get freez ups, etc..You would think with 8 gigs of memory and an i7 860 I should be ok but nope.. I am sure it would be fine if I could get things set up correctly but I just do not have the know how to find that sweet spot..

oh well..Thanks mate..

Webdevoman

Comment

Wow, I have it running stable at 3.99ghz right now and the memory is set at 1600. I know it can be tweaked a bit more and I am sure I am not getting what I can out of the memory. I really hope I can get some settings here.

I just did a nova bench benchmark for cpu only and I hit 1047 which is decent I think.

I love this i7 860. Man, cheap price and it can run stable at over 4ghz. I am very close to 4 right now but I will wait until the experts here can help me with my memory settings before I go any higher. I would like to keep it at 4. or 4.2 if it will run stable.

Question - What motherboard would you guys suggest for this memory and cpu and for running 16 gigs? Man that makes me think too. I have 4 sticks right now for the 8 gigs. Are there any motherboareds with 8 slots or will I have to get rid of what I have in order to get more? Dam, I didn't even think of this before.

Thanks,
            webdevoman

Comment

The 1600s will run in most any newer mobo - if by chance you think of going AMD though you'll have to make sure you get a CPU that can carry 1600, say a minimum of a 965 Rev C.

Unfortunately most mobos/chipsets max at 4 slots for DRAM except the the socket 1366 triple channel which have 6 slots. If going new, at this point I'd suggest an 1155 mobo (there's a number of good ones running either the P67 or Z68 chipset) and the 2500K (unlocked, capable of 5+ GHz) and look for a 16GB set (4x4GB)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have a question at the bottom -

Yeah, it isn't that ithe P55 will not run at 1600 or any other newer motherboard for that matter. It is just that the p55 has to have the settings input manually. It does not detect the 1600 as 1600. I have mine set at 1600 now but the motherboard still shows the hardware itsels as 1333.

My reasons for wanting a new motherboard are really so I can use 2 video cards and make use of them. The p55 basically chokes and the benfits of running 2 video cards are dismal. There are other eawsons also.

As for buying a new cpu etc. I just cannot afford an upgrade like that. Memory is very cheap so adding memory is a cheap way to get a giant boost. It just sucks that I have to get rid of the current memory in order to go up but I know really only server boards have 8 slots..

I know the 86 isn't the best cpu around but my point was not to compete with other cpu's but to just point out that it a decent cpu that overclocks from 2.8 to over 4mghz for a very cheap price. The 4 cores and hyperthreading are also awesome.

I have always used amd cpus and my server has amd cpu's but as of right now I think Intel is on top. I guess we will see what goes on with the bulldozer. I honestly cannot believe I can overclock this cpu to 4.09 which is where it is right now and the temps are not even going over 55. I changed the memory settings from "Auto" to "normal" and temps went way down.

Will the P55 support anything higher than 1600?

## - Price and performance wise, what would be the best combination of memory/motherboard to get the most out of an I7-860?

Thanks much,
                Webdevoman

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS? and can you post your BIOS settings? Most mobos today default to 1333 or 1600, apparently yours is 1333, if we can see the settings might be able to clear things up, You've got a strong CPU and a good mobo.......as far as Bulldozer the FX-8150 underperforms the 2500K, yet cost more (and doesn't OC as well either)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It's ok for now. I am sure it can be tweaked but it seems stable and fast now. I do have the latest bios which is F10. I don't know, I never really had this issue before with the motherboard not seeing the correct memory but it doesn't matter as long as it is running close to 1600.

I will post settings though when I have a chance. I would love to see what you can do to help me get the most of the ripjaws. I think G.Skill is the best memory out there...looks cool too!

Thanks so much for your help. I will get those settings ups with in the next couple days.

Comment

Here is some info about my settings, etc..

http://talkdevelopment.net/screenshots/BASE1.html

This is my cpuid report..

Thank you so much for your help..

Comment

Working...
                      X