Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software crash / Bluescreen when using 4GB RAM

Model of the motherboard: GA-P55-USB3L
    Model of the CPU: i5 760k (not overclocked)
    Model of the memory:
    a set of two F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ
    a set of two F3-12800CL9-2GBXL

I originally ran the rig using the two NQ RAM, and the system ran with virtually no problems for a year (two bluescreens, but they did not seem to be of any significance)

I installed the two XL RAM a few days ago, and since then had software crash or windows give bluescreens whenever I went close to 4GB RAM use

I thought it might be because the XL RAM is supposed to be used at 9/9/9/25 while the BIOS had it running at 9/9/9/24 to conform with the first set of RAMs, so I manually set the XL RAMs to run at 9/9/9/25
    Since then Im not getting any bluescreens, but software still crash whenever I get close to using 4GB, and Im getting a rather curious reading on Gigabyte EasyTune

I tried running Windows RAM test and memtest86+ before and after manually setting the BIOS to 9/9/9/25, the results of which was also interesting
    Windows RAM test: No fault / No fault
    memtest86+: ~100 faults / No fault

I have also formatted the harddrive and did a clean install of windows to no effect

Any help would be appreciated

Can initially try increasing RAM voltage, may want to start at 1.6 and experiment from there, chances are the two kits may not be compatible with each other

Comment

Originally posted by RamJam View Post
      Can initially try increasing RAM voltage, may want to start at 1.6 and experiment from there, chances are the two kits may not be compatible with each other
      mmm
      Do you mean I should try increasing the voltage for both kits while maintaining the earlier kit (NQ) running at 9/9/9/24 and the newer kit (XL) running at 9/9/9/25?
      Or would I just increase the voltage on the older kit (NQ)?

Also, I dont have any experience in manual overclocking so im not sure what's safe and whats not

Just to add, I noticed the NQ is on the Gigabyte QVL while the XL isnt, which may mean the two RAM arnt compatible with each other (or worse yet the XL is incompatible with the mobo)
      Last edited by jkih0021; 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM. Reason: adding gvl info

Comment

The XL's will work with the mobo, mixing sets can always result in problems, even sets of the same model, generally you can get them to play together by increasing the DRAM and or MC voltage

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          The XL's will work with the mobo, mixing sets can always result in problems, even sets of the same model, generally you can get them to play together by increasing the DRAM and or MC voltage
          That's good to hear

Also as an update, I'll be sending the XL to be checked by the vendor since I did get faults at one point in the RAM test

Comment

Keep us updated

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I just got a call from the vendor saying the RAM checks out fine, but they've had compatibility problems like this before, so they're sending me a set of NQ RAM.

Personally I think this is great even if its a bit slower than the XL since the NQ is actually a bit more expensive, not to mention hard to find
              Last edited by jkih0021; 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

OK, I just installed the new NQ cards, so the system now has two sets of 2x2GB NQ cards for a total of 8GB RAM
                Windows seems to recognize that 8GB of RAM is available, but is using only 4GB of it
                The sticky on the top of the DDR3 board here says its because the XMP in the RAM is for a single set and not for two, so I should manually correct it at the BIOS level, but doesnt specify how.
                Since this is an entirely different problem from the one I opened the thread with, I will be starting a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                X