• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock A330 ION and G.Skill F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ Dual Channel Issue

I assembled a mini pc with:

Asrock A330 ION mobo with Nvidia MCP7A-ION Chipset
    G.SKill F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ ( 1GBx2 ) RAM

So I've got two identical modules of G.Skill F3-8500CL7D-2GBNQ RAM for a total amount of 2 GB of RAM (every module is 1 GB).

Now, the problem is that if I boot with both modules (my bios says "dual channel memory") I get errors and can't boot in my OS. So I have to turn off my pc using the power button: After that I can power on the pc and everything works fine, up to the next "cold boot".

In fact this kind of problem present itself just when I'm doing a cold boot, which means to power on my pc after some hours that it is switched off.

Initially I thought it was an hardware problem concerning my motherboard, but then I figured out that if I use just one module of Ram the boot is fine and there's no problem at all.

I tried the single Ram boot (one moduel at the time) with both the modules (also exchanging the DIMM slots) and everything is working properly so I thought my Ram and MoBo could be ok.

But I can't figure out why I cannot use both the modules at once:

Is there some special bios configuration to apply? Could my motherboard not support Dual Channel Memory? Or is this and hardware problem (e.g broken motherboard)?

Thank you in advice for your reply.

Did you set the sticks up manually or are they on AUTO....and do you have the latest BIOS?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Did you set the sticks up manually or are they on AUTO....and do you have the latest BIOS?
      I set them up manually on 1066.. Should I put them on AUTO?? Now I'm checking my Bios Version..

Comment

I switched the sticks on AUTO, but I'm still running in the same problem.

Are there some other options to change?

I also checked my BIOS version and I'm using the last BIOS available (A330ION P1.40). It's the 1.40 version of my MoBo BIOS.

What could I try now?

Comment

Try the manual settings with timing and voltage, check that CR (Command Rate) is at 2T, and may need to add .05 to the DRAM and/or NB voltage. If that doesn't help may wanyt to test each stick individually with Memtest, but sounds like a voltage and/or possibly PSU problem

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try the manual settings with timing and voltage, check that CR (Command Rate) is at 2T, and may need to add .05 to the DRAM and/or NB voltage. If that doesn't help may wanyt to test each stick individually with Memtest, but sounds like a voltage and/or possibly PSU problem
            Thanks for your reply but I don't know how to manual set timing and voltage. Can you please give me the correct settings i should use?

Also, what do you mean for NB voltage?

I tried a Memtest with both the sticks a while ago (5 hours test) and I encountered no erros.
            I'll try a single stick Memtest.

I also found out on Asrock website that my Ram is supported by the Asrock MoBO, so there shouldn't be no problems.

Comment

The settings are made in BIOS - your base timings are 7-7-7-18, DRAM voltage to 1.5, CR (Command Rate) to 2T, NB should show as 'NB voltage' North Bridge Voltage' or something to that effect, when I get a chance I'll try to get a look at the manual, should be available on-line

Tman

Comment

The settings are made in BIOS - your base timings are 7-7-7-18, DRAM voltage to 1.5, CR (Command Rate) to 2T, NB should show as 'NB voltage' North Bridge Voltage' or something to that effect, when I get a chance I'll try to get a look at the manual, should be available on-line
                Ok thank you!! Now I'll try to setup my Bios like you just told me.

Just one more question:

You told me to add 0.5 to Ram Voltage and NB Voltage; this means I should put their voltages to 2.0V? Or use the 1.5V value?

Comment

I entered the BIOS but still got some doubts:

You gave me 4 values for memory timing (7-7-7-18) but in my BIOS there are more entries to change;
                  In fact, under "Memory Timinigs" I get:

tCL
                  tRCD
                  tRP
                  tRAS
                  tRRD
                  tRC
                  tWR

Which of these entries should be filled with your values? What about the others? Should I leave them on AUTO?

Comment

tCL, tRCD and tRP at 7 then tRAS at 18 are the base timings. the others are considered advanced timings and it's best to leave those on AUTO unless [roblems

Tman

Comment

tCL, tRCD and tRP at 7 then tRAS at 18 are the base timings. the others are considered advanced timings and it's best to leave those on AUTO unless [roblems
                      Ok so I set my timings correctly just as you told me.. But I'm still having the cold boot issue!

The only thing is that I can't find the Command Rate option in my Bios.. Where should I search for it??
                      Could set the command rate solve my problem?

What should I do now?

Comment

Should show as Command Rate, Command Timing, something of that ilk, and would be a setting like 1T, 1N, 2T or 2N........would want it at 2 with whatever designator (T or N) they use....have you tried raising DRAM voltage + .05 to + .1

Tman

Comment

Should show as Command Rate, Command Timing, something of that ilk, and would be a setting like 1T, 1N, 2T or 2N........would want it at 2 with whatever designator (T or N) they use....have you tried raising DRAM voltage + .05 to + .1
                          I'll search it again but I can't see it.. Should I try to put Dram Voltage to something like 1.550 or 1.6?

Comment

Try 1.55, what is NB at?

Tman

Comment

Try 1.55, what is NB at?
                              I put it on 1.55

I'm trying this evening cause I have to wait 8-10 hours to test the cold boot.

Also in my Bios there's no NB Voltage Setting.. Can't find NB Voltage and the Command Rate options.

Searched almost everywhere in my Bios.

Where do I have to look?

Comment

Working...
                              X