Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use 1600 in this motherboard?

Can I use 1600 memory in this motherboard?ASUS P7H55-M PRO

To be more specific. I have some G.Skill DDR3 1600 that I have extra laying around unused.
    It is:
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2
    XMP CL 9-9-9-24 1.5v

If so, would I have to adjust the timing other than setting it at 9-9-9-24 ?

If you don't want to follow the link to the mother board above, the specs on that page for memory are:
    "4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2133(O.C.)*/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
    Dual Channel memory architecture
    Supports Intel? Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
    *Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs. Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel. Please refer to Memory QVL for details. "
    Last edited by g725s; 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM.

Yes the Ripjaws will work fine and they employ XMP, ensure you have the latest BIOS, install, go into BIOS, enable XMP, select the profile for 1600 and should be good to go

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, My Biostar BIOS has XMP. Where can I find out exactly what this feature does? Does it recognize and set exactly the specs of the DRAM except, but I would have to set voltage and 1600 manually? At least that is the way it appears in my BIOS.

Comment

Tradesman,

Before with the Biostar PC and the G.Skill I mention above I had only set the timings that are printed on the DRAM module sticker like 7-8-7-24 and the voltage to 1.6v. I notice that the XMP wants to change other settings/timings? of the DRAM itself. Is that OK?
        Last edited by g725s; 09-26-2011, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yes it's fine, XMP (when properly implemented via the BIOS) will take the settings off the sticks and should configure the BIOS to run them at the selected profile (speed). Thing to watch for though is that it may OC the system to run at the selected speed, so you want to watch temps and voltage changes (especially CPU), in some cases it may set the vCore to high and or heat may rise to unacceptable levels (especially if you are using a stock CPU cooler). Not sure what CPU you are running but would think it safe with the 1600 sticks

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

what is the vCore voltage exactly?

Comment

That's your voltage to the CPU

Tman

Comment

In my Biostar BIOS there is a selection called "Biostar Memory Insight".

There are two columns, one Standard the the other XMP-1

Standard???????????..XMP-1
                1333??????????????.1600
                1..50V?????????????.1.60V
                9???????..tCL??????..7
                9???????..tRCD?????..8
                9???????..tRP??????..7
                25???????tRAS?????..24
                74???????tRFC?????..88
                11???????tWR?????...12
                6???????..tWTR?????..6
                5???????..tRRD?????..5
                6???????..tRTP?????...6
                21???????tFAW?????...50

Do you think this is telling me the exact setting that this particular DRAM should be set at if I were to do it manually?

Comment

It is showing the mobos basic default timings for boot on the left and the XMP timings for the 1600 profile from the sticks themselves on the right, if you enable XMP and select the 1600 profile then it will use the XMP settings. Not sure what BioStar you have, but same as w/ the ASUS mobo, will want the latest BIOS and, especially if it's AMD, a CPU that can drive the 1600 sticks.

Tman

Comment

I am using a i7 860. And I have the latest BIOS for this board. I built this PC about two years ago or more so the BIOS last update was about a year ago.

But it does not automatically set all the setting correctly. The first time I selected XMP it put the voltage at 1.73 or something like that.

But if those are the correct timings of the Ripjaws then I will just set them manually to that and should be good right?

This is my Biostar: http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en%2D...n.php?S_ID=445

Comment

Yep, those timings are just fine.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X