Asus P8z68-V Pro Fails to post with Gskill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM Modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P8z68-V Pro Fails to post with Gskill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM Modules

Hi, I'm having issues with my new build. I was quite careful when installing everything but thought the CPU socket lever was quite tight when closing the hinge. I'm used to minimal force when closing the socket. This one seemed to require a bit of force to close which I didn't like. I didn't hear any cracking so I'm guessing the CPU is seating fine.

However, when I went to boot it the system it just make a few whining sounds (almost like it was trying to read the RAM) and then fails to post. I'm guessing that it's RAM related since I notice this particular RAM model is NOT listed in the motherboards manual for the QVL (Qualified Vendor list). Should I first attempt to acquire some modules that are listed on the qualified vendor list or start reseating stuff? I've build all my system so I don't believe I didn't do anything wrong? I'm running a Thermaltake Frio Cooler and it's huge. I'm using memory banks A2 and B2 (8 GB total). I noticed this was posted in the ASUS forums for this board >

The first and third sockets are blue, while the second and fourth are black. In order to achieve the maximum performance, you should install two or four memory modules in order to enable dual-channel architecture. When only two modules are used, install them in the blue sockets. Otherwise, your computer won?t turn on.

I finished late last night so I didn't try to do much else to fix this. The motherboard has lights that are supposed to indicate where the problem might be but I didn't have time to check that. It looks like some other threads suggested trying different memory banks/reseating the CPU,etc. I'll try that eventually but just wanted to see if I can get some advise from this forum regarding QVL memory issues. I'm kinda hoping it's just the memory but it's not easy to acquire new sticks without driving across town or ordering some on the net. This is the first system I've build that didn't POST so I'm a little frazzled. Thanks!

A whining noise often comes from the PSU (as is not a good indication to get) or possibly from a fan. A number of possibilities here. Think I'd start by trying each stick of DRAM individually (and the RipjawsX are designed for your chipset, so there shouldn't be a problem with the DRAM unless you got a bad stick. Another possible would be to check the CPU (just in case) because the hinge feeling stiff doesn't sound right, make sure the CPU is in the correct orientation and check the socket itself that it's clear/clean and no bent pins.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I also thought this RAM should work.

Thanks for the prompt response! Yeah, I didn't like that the CPU lever hinge was hard to pull down. I've never had this happen on any other builds and I made sure the Notch on the CPU was oriented correctly prior to inserting. I also thought it could be power supply related but I figured a 750 Watt supply was more than enough based off my PSU calculations I did at a website. It said I only needed about 500-550Watts to power my system. When I first turned it one it made the little buzzing sounds that had a few seconds in between the buzzes. If I had to explain the sound it almost faintly sounds like when I receipt is being printed at a store followed by brief delays. It does that sound about 3 or 4 times and then just sits their making no noise. The first time it auto-powered down.

Here's my system specs.

INTEL BOX INTEL CI5 2500K 1
      MB ASUS|P8Z68-V PRO Z68 LGA1155 R 1
      MS OEM WIN7 PRO 64BIT SP1 OEM 1
      THERMALTA FRIO 2X120MM UNV CPU1
      ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED V3 ATX
      ARCSLVR SLVR5 HD THERMAL CMP
      CORSAIR HX 750W ATX 12V MOD PS
      HD 2X 640G|WD WD6401AALS
      BD BURN PIONEER | BDR-206DBKS
      MEM 4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
      VGA EVGA|012-P3-1570-AR GTX570
      SSD 120G|INTEL SSDSC2MH120A2K5

So, I'm going to start by trying different DIMM slots to see if I can get it to POST. If that doesn't work I'll disconnect most everything except the SSD drive and see if I can get it to POST. Eventually I'll re-seat the CPU and try the stock cooler since that was suggested in the ASUS forums. I'm hurting to get this running since my last system build is from 2003. I sure hope I can get this working. Their is nothing worse than spending all that money to have a dud. Thanks for any/all suggestions!

Comment

Hard reset the BIOS, try one module at a time.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I've Got POST!!

Well, I proceeded to unhook everything except the SSD and RAM. I left the CPU alone and didn't re-seat since the CPU trouble light did not come on. First I put only one RAM module into the Black Slot B1 and it booted and got me into the BIOS. I then re-seated the RAM modules back into the Blue Slots (A2 & B2 Slots) which is how I originally had them installed and it recognized all 8GB. Now I'm going to try and get my SSD recognized. After that I'll try putting my Two WD HDD's back in and the video card.

The only other thing I did was change the SATA port for the SSD from SATA6G_E1 to SATA6G_E2 on the Marvel SATA controller. That could of been the issue? I'm not sure at this point and just glad to finally have a video signal! I hope I can get everything installed and get the OS loaded! A ways to go but I"m feeling much better!

Comment

haha tricky electronics! Keep at it

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Sweet - Almost there

haha tricky electronics! Keep at it

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Thanks GSKILL TECHS! You guys Rock! I reinstalled my Nvidia GTX570 and I thought it was the problem because I didn't get a video signal when hooked up to the mainboard video via VGA video port. From what I've read sandy bridge is supposed to handle all the video request through the mainboard and use the On-CHIP GPU when not doing graphic intensive gaming to save power. Well, it doesn't seem to boot that way so I had to hook it up to the DVI on the video card to get it to POST. This board does seem really slow to POST but at least it does and I'm now loading Windows on the SSD. The only thing I didn't hook back up yet are my 2 WD HDD's. So far I'm just really happy to be loading window and not have any RAM issues. I never heard of Gskill prior to doing this upgrade but sure glad I did. One again, You guys ROCK! Thanks

Comment

Glad to hear all is better (just for info purposes the Z68 mobos that have on board video available and the SSD cache integrated do boot up a bit slower than say a P67) Keep an eye out for BIOS updates which may smooth it out a bit more

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

^ Yeah, I think I'm running the latest BIOS. The cold boot up isn't that bad after getting my OS loaded. I noticed the board goes through a boot sequence check on every error light (CPU,RAM,Video,etc) prior to POSTING. It's probably about 5 seconds or less so not that bad. It probably has to do with the onboard SSD caching as you mentioned even though I'm not using the SSD caching and probably won't since it appears to be mainly for people running their OS on a regular hard drive.

I got windows 7 loaded and updated but I have yet to hook my other two Western Digital HDD's back up. I haven't heard the strange buzzing sound from the first time I tried to POST so I'm not sure what my fix was?? Possibly re-seating my RAM sticks did it? I ended up plugging my SSD back into the original SATA controller port I used when I was having my issues. It could be a power supply issue but I don't know until I hook everything back up. As I mentioned my CPU calculations showed that a 750Watt PSU was more than enough for my needs. My case (Antec Tweleve Hundered) does have a lot of fans though. ;-)

It's great to get back in the game with a modern day system/OS. Windows 7 is going to take a little getting used to after all these years using XP. Right on gskill! Loving the timings on this RAM. Imagine it will make for some stable overclocking.

Comment

If you think Win7 may take some time, wait till you take a look at Win8....been playing with the early beta versions and believe they just released what they call a Preview, it's more like what you see on a pad or a phone

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                      If you think Win7 may take some time, wait till you take a look at Win8....been playing with the early beta versions and believe they just released what they call a Preview, it's more like what you see on a pad or a phone
                      I noticed that Windows 8 was on the Horizon. I have more confidence in MS OS's after using Windows 7. It's really nice to be using a 64 Bit OS and screaming along. I used the ASUS Autotune software last night and it auto-overclocked my system to 4.33 from 3.3. That's by far the best overclock I've ever had (30% + Increase) and it didn't even require me to adjust any settings. I can probably get it running stable at 4.5 or 4.7 but not to worried about trying yet.

It turns out a bad hard drive that newegg sent me was DOA and that was causing the buzzing/whining sound. I'm almost certain that was why my system didn't POST the first time hooking it up. I'm just glad that's all it was! Time to get my game ON!

Comment

Have fun, and 4.5 to 4.8 (or higher) shouldn't be a problem with the 2500K, though you probably will want an after market CPU cooler from 4.4 or so on up depending on airflow in the case - just keep an eye on the temps (Core temp is a good freeware program)

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                          Have fun, and 4.5 to 4.8 (or higher) shouldn't be a problem with the 2500K, though you probably will want an after market CPU cooler from 4.4 or so on up depending on airflow in the case - just keep an eye on the temps (Core temp is a good freeware program)
                          Thanks for the info on Core Temp. I'll Check that out. One of the really powerful hardware monitoring programs I used to use was Sisoft Sandra. I might have to check that out again also.

FYI, good to hear I should be able to hit 4.8 or so with my 2500k. I am using an Aftermarket cooler. I went with the Thermaltake Frio with two 120mm fans. I was playing Duke Nukem last night on full detail 1680*1050 and the CPU was pretty cool while playing at 38-39?. Can't wait to try more system tweaking!!

Comment

The Frio is a great cooler (tall one too), with it should have no trouble w/ heat, even up to 5 GHz.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X