Compatibility questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility questions

Rather than rely on whatever information google can offer, I figured it would be best just to ask the source. I have an ASUS P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450. I would like to add another 4GB of RAM to it and would like to know if the Ripjaws F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM model would be compatible. I read elsewhere in this forum that the Trident F3-12800CL8D-4GBTD is compatible, but since the Ripjaws has slightly better timings and the price point is so close I would like to know if I can use the Ripjaws in my motherboard.

I am currently using OCZ Reaper OCZ3RPR16004GK memory in my system at 1333 with timings of 7-7-7-20. Would I be better off using a Ripjaws F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH that runs 1333 at 7-7-7-21, or overclocking both to run at 1600 with slower timings? What combination would give me the most benefit, and would they be compatible? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

You might run into problems trying to pair up different models and brands of DRAM, for a few dollars more you could go 2x4GB at 1600 w/ CL8 or CL9 and have the 8GB with just the 2 sticks (less load on the MC (Memory Controller)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Okay, if I went that route, would there be any problem running something like Ripjaws F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM or F3-12800CL8D-8GBRM on my system, and would there be any difference between using one or the other? Also, if they're both DDR3 spec memory, why would there be any problem running mixed brands? Just out of technical curiosity, what would cause the problem? Thanks.

Comment

My fault....been bugging me so I went and double checked, the P5E3 Deluxe is limited to 8GB total in a 4x2GB set, was thinking of a different mobo that actually takes 16GB.

As far as mixed brands - even in the same brand and model you can encounter problems - often from using sticks from different production lots where PCBs, ICs etc may be different (or from their own different production lots) the tolerance settings on the machinery may be different, etc

The differences between the Ripjaw models you asked about are the regular Ripjaws are for earlier generation CPUs (like yours) where the RipjawsX lines are for the newer generation - though either/or should work with your setup

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X