New Motherboard and RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motherboard and RAM

Hi, I recently purcahsed a new motherboard and set of G Skill ram, for my system the specifications are as follows:

AMD Phenom II 965 BE
    nVidia GeFore GTX460 1GB
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    I am using 2 of these kits [ RipjawsX] F3-12800CL9Q-8GBXL, which gives me total 16Gb of RAM

I have followed the AMD guide on this forum set my timings to 9-9-9-24-2N and set the voltage to 1.5v. But no matter what i do when i am in windows i get random lag spikes where programs become unresponsive for about 1minutes then everything runs fine until i eventually get another lag spike. This makes the PC unusable, i have tried the recommended failsafe settings (8-8-8-24).

I have tried adding extra voltage to both the CPU/NB and the RAM but nothing seems to make a difference i tested some sticks of the ram by itself and i got the same problem. Any help to identify and/or solve my problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dan9550; 09-09-2011, 07:05 AM. Reason: ram timing mistake

Do you have the latest BIOS?

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes I am using the latest bios

Comment

Lag spike?
        Usually is related to network/internet issues, but I think I know what you mean here.
        You might want to run memtest on each stick individually and up your CPU voltage as well.
        But in all honesty, do you really need 16GB of memory?
        8GB is more than plenty for most home PC's and it will put much less stress on the IMC.
        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
        Corsair HX850W Modular
        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

If one module at a time has the same exact problem, it may be the motherboard or CPU. Do you have the latest BIOS? Any other DDR3 modules you can test with?

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

By lag spike I mean like all of a sudden the system slows down and everything becomes in responsive momentarily. I will test the sticks individually and use a different hdd if that doesn't work I have another CPU I can test and I will try and find another ddr3 ram stick to test thanks for the feedback so far everyone

Comment

Hello Dan,

The problem you describe is normally related to one or more processes or program(s) monopolising the cpu and thus not allowing any other activity to take place while it or they are active. You may want to check the following:

1- If multitasking what programs are active when system/cpu temporary locks occur?
              2- What background processes and or programs do you have running? Could one of these be the culprit?
              3- Use msconfig to shut down all unecessary processes and/or programs that are auto started on windows boot? If that stops the locking problem turn them on one at a time to isolate the trouble maker{s).
              4- Windows task manager program and the Windows fault log could also help you pinpoint the problem.
              5- Your security program or suite could also be the culprit. Try running your PC without it.

Motherboard, RAM and CPU problems usually cause complete freezes or BSODs.

In summary do not rule out your software setup. Good luck,
              Windows7 Ultimate SP1 - 64bit
              i7-2600K-D2 @ 4.5G-1.37V, Cooler ? Corsair H70
              Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 ? BIOS F5
              8GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD@ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T-1.65V
              Power Color Radeon 6990 @ 880x1250 MHz
              Corsair 1000 W
              LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
              Creative Audigy 2Z Card
              WD Raptor 600K, Samsung F3/1Tera
              LiteOn iHBS 212, Sansung SH-S203N

Comment

ok so what ive done is i have reset my cmos, and reset the ram values and i used a ram stick that passed a memtest86+ test. and installed windows onto a different hard drive. So far the system seems to be working fine so im going to assume it was the hard drive. but until im 100% sure i will be keeping a close eye on the system to make sure no other problems arise. Thanks for all the responses as they have helped a lot.

Comment

Keep us informed

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well so far things have been ok, but its only been a day and i havent done a lot of heavy processing as such. I will run memtest86+ again later since i have all 16GB of memory installed. And i will see how the system runs at an up coming lan party

Comment

Great news Dan,

Glad to hear that your computer is running fine so far. Checking your memory set with Memtest86+ is an excellent idea. Remember also the other items that you will be taking to the LAN party, they need to be tested also.

CPU - Prime 95 - Small FFT - 8 to 12 hours
                      CPU / Memory interface - Large FFT -8 to 12 hours
                      Video Card - FurMark (Use with Caution - Major Heat Created)
                      HHD - ATTO BenchMark 32 or ChrystalDiskMark x64
                      Computer overall - IntelBurnTest 2 (high to Extreme setting) (Use with Caution - Major Heat Created)

Those are some of the free testing programs that I use. There are many others available on line, just Google for them. There are also many other commercial programs available. I use AIDA64 Extreme Edition, 3D Mark11 and PC Mark 7.

Regards,
                      Windows7 Ultimate SP1 - 64bit
                      i7-2600K-D2 @ 4.5G-1.37V, Cooler ? Corsair H70
                      Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 ? BIOS F5
                      8GB Gskill F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD@ 2133 9-11-9-28-2T-1.65V
                      Power Color Radeon 6990 @ 880x1250 MHz
                      Corsair 1000 W
                      LianLi Armor Suit PC-80
                      Creative Audigy 2Z Card
                      WD Raptor 600K, Samsung F3/1Tera
                      LiteOn iHBS 212, Sansung SH-S203N

Comment