Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which frequency do I set in AMI BIOS

Hi to all G.Skill forum users...

This is my first post, and I believe some of 'my problem' is already answered here http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=7688, however, I'm not that familiar with my m'board's AMI BIOS, and the user guide doesn't give any specifics on this issue.

I've recently completed a new systems build.

The memory-kit that I have is the G.Skill 'Sniper' 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 @ 1.25V.

The m'board is an Asus M4N68T-M Socket AM3 and accepts 2xDDR3 DIMM's @ 1800(OC)/1600(OC)/1333/1066MHz.

The CPU is an Athlon II x2 @ 3.0GHz.

Before I ask the question itself, I'll give some background if I may... Appologies for 'short novel' here

After completing the new systems build very carefully, wearing anti-static wrist strap, etc, I powered-up for the first time but there were major display artifacts from the start and the system just froze. I then did a memory test after powering-down. Swapped the modules around but same problem. Tried just one module and all was OK - I could get into the AMI BIOS, etc. Tried just the other module on its own but same display problems, so swithced back to the 'good' module thinking that the other one was faulty...

With the good module, I tried to install Windows-7 but I had display artifacts again; so again I naturally came to the conclusion that maybe the 'good' module is also faulty - BUT THEN I DISCOVER this forum by G.Skill - and find the link mentioned above - which is why I signed-up.

See, I didn't realise that 'OC' was/is refering to an overclock figure/frequency because the product-spec on the 'etailer's' website didn't explain this - I thought that this was just some model variation or similar... I now know that the m'board will not accept 1600MHz without overclocking, so my question or questions is, what frequency must I specify in the AMI BIOS (is it 1333MHz or something else) and exactly where in AMI BIOS do I do this? Also where do I set the voltage at 1.25V in the BIOS? Again, I realise that the link mentioned at the start of this thread answers some of this, but I couldn't find a reference to my specific m'board.

My biggest worry is that I've corrupted the system... I wanted Windows-7 64-bit as I need a 64bit OS to use 8GB of memory; 32bit OS's only go upto 3-4GB...

I'd try the Snipers at 1333, with timings of 8-8-8-24

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

OK, many thanks for that Where in AMI BIOS do I actually do that. I also think it's a bit sneeky of Asus not to state clearly that (OC) means overclocked value only and that conversely, the m'board will not support more than 1333MHz without overclock settings, but I suppose that's another thing...
      Last edited by user050911; 09-05-2011, 06:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Look in your motherboard user's guide, it generally tells you the purpose of each option and what you are able to adjust.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          Look in your motherboard user's guide, it generally tells you the purpose of each option and what you are able to adjust.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Yes, the m'board user guide does generally tell me this, but generally is not enough - it does not tell me exactly where in the AMI BIOS I set a new memory frequency, so where in AMI BIOS do I actually do that.

Comment

Post some pictures of your BIOS. Just the main pages to adjust CPU/memory/and such major settings.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yey! I think I solved the problem! BTW - sorry for late reply... I found a switch called Memory Clock Mode which was set to 'Auto' so I tried 'Manual' and had the following options - 400, 533, 667 and 800MHz. The BIOS had 400 already selected.
              Now at first I thought this isn't where to look as I was expecting four-figure values, but then I discovered that 800x2 is 1600 and so on and so forth, so I went for 667MHz which equates to 1334MHz, so just one more than 1333MHz - and I'm now OK on just the one stick of ram (4GB). I installed the Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit, the m'board drivers and have now established a Net connection. So it works

But this still leave one niggly little question, which is, why did the 'good memory module' work at all on it's own before setting the new frequency when the two together created display artifacts and freezing and when just the other module on its own did the same thing?

So, the final test will be installing the other module as I need 8GB of RAM. If I have problems then I suppose the other stick is faulty after all. Hope not...

BTW - before installing the other module (both modules are from the same G.Skill Sniper kit), do I have to clear CMOS, which will mean having to start all over again by going into BIOS defaults and then reloading the new settings again.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X